Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help w 1999 Finest Refractor Milestones non numbered Ken Griffey Jr

Hey peeps. Have you guys seen this? Got rejected for a factory error. No serial number. Supposed to have a serial number on the back to 1400. Any help on how to maximize value or take the loss? It can’t be very common. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

PSA don't grade errors. Submit to one of the other grading companies without the error title.

• Options

Maximize profit by going to a KGjr FB page for collectors first and see what interest you get. PSA pretty much authenticated it for you already so you have removed doubt for many who may wonder if it is fake.

Otherwise you can maximize interest by using ebay. For an additional large sum of money then you can promote it for many more views. Promoting has helped me sell rare items for top dollar three times in the past year when compared to previous sales history.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

Before you rush it off to SGC, they rejected grading my 2000 Royal Rookies Ken Griffey Jr missing serial number /10,000, like this one:

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2024 7:40AM

@JolleyWrencher said:
    Maximize profit by going to a KGjr FB page for collectors first and see what interest you get. PSA pretty much authenticated it for you already so you have removed doubt for many who may wonder if it is fake.

Otherwise you can maximize interest by using ebay. For an additional large sum of money then you can promote it for many more views. Promoting has helped me sell rare items for top dollar three times in the past year when compared to previous sales history.

I agree this card could be worth a lot to a Griffey collector.

I do not agree that "PSA pretty much authenticated it". However, the first thing I would do, is contact Gayle or Cosetta at PSA and see if they could get the card slabbed as "authentic".

If I had this card, I wouldn't let it go for less than I thought it was worth! Potential 1 of 1 item.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Blindmelon5Blindmelon5 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Thank you guys!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2024 3:28PM

Ken Griffey Jr. Sports Cards Universe is the FB group with a ton of knowledge. It is a private group, so look to join if you aren’t already and post away.

Also based on your username, I think I have bought some Griffey cards from you on eBay. Please list some 2000’s bowman Griffey base for me. 😀

• Options

Most cards from the late 90's that lack serial numbering that's supposed to bet there are sheet cut or back-doored.

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:
    Most cards from the late 90's that lack serial numbering that's supposed to bet there are sheet cut or back-doored.

>
    >

Plenty of very expensive and desirable items were "back-doored" out of Topps over the years.

Griffey is arguably the most collected player in the last 35 years. The odds are there's several Griffey collectors who "need" this card. There are no guarantees with oddball stuff, but Griffey is the man!

I would see if I could get PSA to slab it as "authentic", but I wouldn't be too worried if they said no.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2024 12:53AM

@PatriotTrading said:

Most likely they used these types of cards (no serial number) as a replacement card if someone would mail in a damaged card. Then the left overs were back doored. Griffey collectors are odd when it comes to these types of cards but I would definitely check the FB page and see what they say.

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@PatriotTrading said:

>
    >

Plenty of very expensive and desirable items were "back-doored" out of Topps over the years.

Griffey is arguably the most collected player in the last 35 years. The odds are there's several Griffey collectors who "need" this card. There are no guarantees with oddball stuff, but Griffey is the man!

I would see if I could get PSA to slab it as "authentic", but I wouldn't be too worried if they said no.

Who said anything about value or demand? I'm just pointing out why PSA isn't slabbing that card. I'm just glad someone didn't add a serial number in attempt to pass it off as original. PSA isn't slabbing it because of one of the two reasons I pointed out. As for value, it'll never have the same worth as it's serial numbered counterpart but you can spend your money how you want.

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@PatriotTrading said:

>
    >

Who said anything about value or demand? I'm just pointing out why PSA isn't slabbing that card. I'm just glad someone didn't add a serial number in attempt to pass it off as original. PSA isn't slabbing it because of one of the two reasons I pointed out. As for value, it'll never have the same worth as it's serial numbered counterpart but you can spend your money how you want.

The OP asked how to "maximize value", so that's what this post is about.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Would calling Topps help? perhaps give an explanation or replacement.