Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this card trimmed?

I recently purchased this PSA graded Hugo Sanchez Euroflash Sticker. Upon my review, it appears the top and bottom of the card has been cut, albeit unevenly.

The card is graded by PSA so does anyone know if there's an explanation other than the card is trimmed? Cutting error from the manufacturer, etc.?

Is there any recourse if the sticker is trimmed? (Even if I can get a refund there's still a PSA-graded trimmed card floating around which is bad for the PSA brand)

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about this issue. I agree that PSA would not knowingly slab a trimmed card and would not want one out there that is trimmed to remain encapsulated. Depending on the definition of "recently" PSA may suggest that you return it to the seller.

Nevertheless, the sticker looks exactly like the one on the Cert Verification page.

https://psacard.com/cert/69077277

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Just looks like a crappy factory miscut, thus it got a PSA 7. Would have been a PSA 9 if normal rectangle cut. Also, you couldn't tell before you bought it?? It was the first thing I noticed before reading your post.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Just looks like a crappy factory miscut, thus it got a PSA 7. Would have been a PSA 9 if normal rectangle cut. Also, you couldn't tell before you bought it?? It was the first thing I noticed before reading your post.

I was bidding on 400+ items and don't have time to inspect every card. I don't mind the purchase even if it is a miscut.

However, I don't understand why it wouldn't be graded as miscut then. As you said, "It was the first thing I noticed".

• Options

PSA doesn't do miscut qualifiers (MC) anymore (changed in 2022). They just deduct 2 points.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    PSA doesn't do miscut qualifiers (MC) anymore (changed in 2022). They just deduct 2 points.

I've had at least 2 sent back to me this year ungraded with a 'Do Not Grade - Miscut' label on the sleeve.

Honestly, I'd rather have them graded with a 2 point deduction.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2023 8:44AM

@BBBrkrr said:

I've had at least 2 sent back to me this year ungraded with a 'Do Not Grade - Miscut' label on the sleeve.

I'm going to guess that what you got is the opposite of min-size, in that the card was oversized. It can't be because it won't fit inside a holder because they have holders that they can just put a layer of plastic on the card and not use rails. I had this happen with a crossover from CSG (slab with no rails) , it was returned MC, unless they have a policy of not wanting to put standard size cards in slabs without rails.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@BBBrkrr said:

I'm going to guess that what you got is the opposite of min-size, in that the card was oversized. It can't be because it won't fit inside a holder because they have holders that they can just put a layer of plastic on the card and not use rails. I had this happen with a crossover from CSG (slab with no rails) , it was returned MC, unless they have a policy of not wanting to put standard size cards in slabs without rails.

That might be it. I've never measured them. They're still in the sleeves they were returned in from PSA. In the next couple days I'll measure and see what's going on there. One is an Ozzie Smith rookie so I'd really like to get it in a slab.

Weirdly, I did get a few returned with them that were Min Size and weren't graded either.

• Options

I'm sure CGC would grade the Ozzie.... Not sure on SGC since they would need a bigger "tuxedo" :wink:

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

I have a couple parallelogram shaped PSA 8s.
    So they would have been PSA10 (MC) in the past? LOL

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

@RufussCkingston said:

Two kinds of miscuts. One is where the sheet is cut to the proper size, but part of the card is with the next card, if that makes any sense. The other type of miscut is where the card is not cut to spec in the proper shape and size, although of course I really mean in both cases not within tolerances. They'll grade the former, as long as it isn't too bad, of course.