Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has there been an explosion of grandfather/dads buying cards for their sons?

ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so happy that more grandfathers/dads are buying cards for their sons. In fact I get many messages on ebay of said grandfather/dad wanting to buy a high price card but would like to have a discount for little Johnny. I feel so guilty that Johnny won't be able to get the card for the below market price, it would make him so happy.

Seriously, did someone on YouTube post this is as an idea to get cheaper cards on ebay? They are persistent.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I got something like this the other day on Ebay - somebody asked if they could have a better price on a card because their grandmother was going to buy it for their birthday and they were seeing if they could get a discount for the grandmother.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well on the bright side, I am glad the seniors in our society are fluent on ebay. That wasn't the case 10-15 years ago.

Mike
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bought a graded Pokémon for my grandsons birthday. How funny. 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

All kidding aside, I've noticed buyers not regularly engaged in the hobby don't understand established comps and market values. They see eBay as a big neighborhood garage sale where everyhing is negotiable and never pay sticker.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    All kidding aside, I've noticed buyers not regularly engaged in the hobby don't understand established comps and market values. They see eBay as a big neighborhood garage sale where everyhing is negotiable and never pay sticker.

Isn't that exactly what ebay is? I often negotiate even when a seller doesn't have 'make offer' eligible. I mostly get the item, but I don't offer insulting lowballs. As a seller, I do get crazy lowballs offers though.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@Chicago1976 said:

Isn't that exactly what ebay is? I often negotiate even when a seller doesn't have 'make offer' eligible. I mostly get the item, but I don't offer insulting lowballs. As a seller, I do get crazy lowballs offers though.

Agree...I was referring to the crazy low ball offers for vintage high end cards from inexperienced card buyers. Grandpa doesn't know its crazy low ball. He's not in the hobby.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

lowball offers never ever bother me. you can either counter or decline. i couldnt care less about pleas for a lower price because of "little johnny"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

I don't buy any of those, "I'm buying for little Johnny who has 2 months to live", backstories some of these buyers use to play on your sympathies to get a steal of a deal.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

[Klinger reads Henry a letter from his mom that says his dad's dying]

Henry Blake : The father dying, right?

Klinger : Yes, sir.

Henry Blake : [takes out a stack of papers and reads them] Father dying last year. Mother dying last year. Mother AND father dying. Mother, father, and older sister dying. Mother dying and older sister pregnant. Older sister dying and mother pregnant. Younger sister pregnant and older sister dying. Here's an oldie but a goodie: Half of the family dying, other half pregnant.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Mash was a good show. Klinger trying to eat the jeep. :D

• Options
    or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I'm so happy that more grandfathers/dads are buying cards for their sons. In fact I get many messages on ebay of said grandfather/dad wanting to buy a high price card but would like to have a discount for little Johnny. I feel so guilty that Johnny won't be able to get the card for the below market price, it would make him so happy.

Seriously, did someone on YouTube post this is as an idea to get cheaper cards on ebay? They are persistent.

I think I would respond by telling the buyer how you are selling that card for your grandson and how disappointed he would be if he didn't get the price he was asking for.

Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers have been using this excuse for a very long time. I even had one guy contact me thru ebay one time about a 1985 Nike Michael Jordan BGS 9 that I was trying to sell telling me it was his young son's birthday and this was his favorite card.
    He then told me he couldn't afford the card because he couldn't work due to being in a wheelchair.
    I remember he sent me like 3-4 messages practically begging me to at first give the card away free,then to sell it to him for like 95% off my asking price. Ironically once I replied back that he could always buy the reprint, which were selling for just a few bucks at the time, I never heard from him again.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Buyers have been using this excuse for a very long time. I even had one guy contact me thru ebay one time about a 1985 Nike Michael Jordan BGS 9 that I was trying to sell telling me it was his young son's birthday and this was his favorite card.
    He then told me he couldn't afford the card because he couldn't work due to being in a wheelchair.
    I remember he sent me like 3-4 messages practically begging me to at first give the card away free,then to sell it to him for like 95% off my asking price. Ironically once I replied back that he could always buy the reprint, which were selling for just a few bucks at the time, I never heard from him again.

Obviously a scam, but I do wonder if it ever works with a Sports Card Dealer.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.