Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1910 Spinks/Patina/INA/Retro in Gold

I'd asked about these before and a forumite happened to mention on a liteside thread that he owned this gold one (IIRC he said he paid something like bullion for it).

Anyway, it's too nice not to post and as he didn't have a photo host, so here it is. I wish I could get bullion prices like this! Nothing beats a good St. George (unless you are the dragon of course).

edited to add: Well, poop. The sizing got messed up. Maybe I fix that.

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! They don't go for melt anymore -- not even close.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    This is part of the Donald R Golder (die sculptor) fantasy crown series (various die dates, various royal heads, various countries) minted in 2000 in bronze, copper, silver and gold. I have not run into any gold issues in person but got 1 or 2 in sterling silver.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this will work--for whatever reason the first copy I had would not save larger than the first version.

I realize these are patterns and fantasy pieces, but I love that they are using designs that 'might have been'. This is another St. George I would love to have seen on a coin.

Sounds like gold and aluminum versions are the rare ones for these. Trozau, do you have the 'Wyon' version like your avatar? I found the copper, alloy, and silver set at some point.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Cathy, I do have copper/bronze examples of the Donald Golder fantasy crowns with the William Wyon 3 Graces design and the St George design (on my sig line). I also have an example of the Allan G Wyon St George design you have pictured in your post. I was not fortunate enough to acquire the Donald Golder gold example but I have the silver version of the William Wyon St George design (IIRC).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an Irish retro fantasy pattern of Victoria, once, from the same era, but it wasn't gold! They seem to have done pretty well in the aftermarket over the past decade.

I was pleased to find them listed in the Krause "Unusual World Coins" volume. There were some pretty low mintages, for what that's worth.

Seems like a solid buy at bullion price, particularly since bullion was lower when they came out. So it would seem the Litesider who owns the piece in the OP made a doubly wise buy, with the increase of both the melt value of that piece as well as the collector value. I find it hard to justify paying much over melt for a modern fantasy, personally, but I must admit these are neat, and their Krause inclusion gives them some legitimacy in a way, and, well... for modern fantasies, they're just cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a look at the original catalog & looks like this is a 42.0 gm. coin that went for 550 pounds or about 825 USD.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.