Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newp ex Jerome Vandendriessche Collection

Just picked this up from the recent Stephen Album sale:

Auction Description:

CHINA:Austrian Maria Theresa thaler dated 1780 (sic) with Chinese merchant chopmarks, ex Jerome Vandendriessche Collection.

Estimated Value$150 - 200.

This famous trade coin travelled the world, yet is seldom found with Chinese chops. With about 30 chops, many of them quite distinctive, this is surely the finenest known piece. From the Jerome Vandendriessche Collection which was formed 1950s to mid-1970s in Belgium.

The description is right - despite over 300,000,000 approximated to have been struck, making it one of the most popular trade coins of all time, there are very, very few found with legitimate chopmarks (some bozo put fake chops on a number of Unc examples in the 50-60's).

Has anyone heard of the Jerome Vandendriessche Collection? I'd love to learn more about the man and his collection. The Google didn't reveal much. Looks like he formed the collection from the 50's-70's in Belgium and he also liked Cambodian coins.

P.S. I chuckled at the "finest known" claim in the auction description image

Comments

• Cool and historical piece. Some bozo also put various fantasy counterstamps on them around the same time. Unfortunately nearly all counterstamps on these coins are mid 20th century fantasies. I have a few of them, still interesting pieces image

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WorldCoinsDmitry

Cool and historical piece. Some bozo also put various fantasy counterstamps on them around the same time. Unfortunately nearly all counterstamps on these coins are mid 20th century fantasies. I have a few of them, still interesting pieces image

Yep, bozo indeed! Thankfully he or she was bozo enough to use the same chopmark stamps in mostly the same pattern and locations for these fakes, so they are easily identifiable. Here's one with obvious fake chopmarks and Phillipines counterstamp, for example.

• Oh yea, consistent if nothing else. Also consistent in using MTT types that were made in the 1930's-50's image Here are mine:

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it doesn't sound like anyone knows much about this Vandendriessche fellow. I've seen his name associated with a number of coins in auctions, and even seen his name printed on a PCGS label. I would have thought the meant his collection was at least somewhat well known...