Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help with identifying Ancient Coins

Here are images of 6 ancients that I could use the help of experts to identify and get opinions on authenticity. Small copper coins - largest about the size of a US nickel.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The coin on the top right is a modern replica of an ancient Prutah from Israel.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Bottom left and bottom center are 4th century AD Roman.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top left and bottom right are copper "solidi" of Lithuania, in the name of King John (II) Casimir of Poland, who was also Grand Duke of Lithuania.

One is dated 1666 and the other 1668(?)

No idea if they are authentic. Contemporary counterfeits from that period are also known.
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.... appreciate the help.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And finally, the one with the elephant is from the Indian kingdom of Mysore. Probably a half-paisa, dated 1216 according to the peculiar calendar used in Mysore, which converts to AD 1787. Salamabad mint, I believe (KM 132), which is one of the less common mints of this state.

So the only coins here that are technically "ancient" are the two Late Romans, bottom left and bottom centre. image The middle one is Constantius II, I can't see enough detail to pick the left one.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • I think the lower left Roman Bronze is also Constantius II, but from very late in his reign. That reverse type was issued long after his two brothers had met their respective ends, so it only occurs on Constantius' coinage, and that of his Caesar, and eventual successor, Julian II. The diademed portrait eliminates Julian II as Caesar, and I think there's just enough of the lettering on the left to suggest a late issue of Constantius rather than an early issue of Julian as Emperor.

The other Constantius is one of his earliest issues, which makes this pair a nice "bookend" collection of Constantius' bronze coinage.
    "Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy these posts quite a bit. I was late to the game and only knew the Lithuanian pieces. Its great to have a forum so open to helping one another ID pieces we are not comfortable with.

I'll be posting a piece later in the week that's troubling me as well, stuff pulled from melt.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang you guys rock in here! image