Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Numismatic Gladiator IX Has Me Jonesing To See Some More Errors!

Both those coins are fantastic and I'd love to see any others that might be in the collections of my fellow forumites. Whatever kind of error it is, let's see it!

Here's my one and only:

1987 Mexico Off-Center 500 Pesos -

imageimage

As I mentioned in my very first introductory post, I actually found this coin in a big bulk lot and was very surprised. I found some other cool coins in those big ol' bags, (old, rare, UNC or otherwise) but this one is probably my favorite find of them all.

So... let's see some errors!
"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This double-struck 1782 Irish halfpenny looked much, much better in hand.

These pics aggravated the microporosity and made it look grainy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of coins I found while looking for my entry for the contest. Both were listed at higher than the limit for the contest, though I made offers and eventually bought both for under $25 each.

1932 Russia 20 Kopeks with a nice clip. I love this Art Deco design:

1957 Bailiwick of Jersey One Twelfth Shilling, also with a nice clip. I had never heard of this little island before, but apparently they are authorized by Great Britain to issue their own coinage. Only 720,000 coins were struck as part of their 1957 issue:

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, gentlemen! I have a few errors of differing types. I only have a few, but I enjoy the variety. Here are some whose photographs are accessible at this late hour:

Brockage obverse on (1822-27) Anhalt-Burnberg 1/24 Thaler

Planchet crack on 1922 Peace dollar

Somebody else on these boards, in the liteside universe, has an amazing Peace dollar planchet crack. I can't recall whom it is. Search the forum archives you might find it, if the image is still there it's worth your time.

... edited to fix images... apparently I had chosen the tiny size...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• That is probably the coolest brockage error I've seen. That bear on the castle wall has always been one of my favorite German States designs and seeing it like this makes me love it even more.
    "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so fancy, but a rotated die. This one isn't in 'the books' and NGC did not slab it as a rotated die. Bought raw in Tokyo at the big show. I have no idea of the prevalence of the error, but it was cool. I kept the original sales tag and if I ever find it I'll have to photo that too.

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Errors. Errors are my thing. Love them and they are about the only numismatic item I've collected since day 1 of this hobby. Far too many to post here. Here's some of the more recent ones.

Not really an error as it was deliberately manufactured for the Houston Coin Club. Quadruple strike.

Mexico Peso struck on 20 centavo planchet that was struck against another blank.

Split planchet Belgium 1 Franc.

Upset die Australian 1966 10 cent. Now graded by PCGS as MS65.

Papua New Guinea Indent. 20 Toea struck against a blank 1 Toea.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • mnemtsas2 is my partner. We are both pretty keen on the old error coin.
    Australia 1985-1998 Dollar 90% off centre PCGS MS65
    Just recently graded
    Australia 1964m Penny Rotated Double Strike
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good on you, Aussie fellas!

I really like that Papua New Guinea piece, for some reason.

Oh, once upon a time I cherrypicked a rotated 1966 (or '68?) 10c piece like that... I would never have noticed the weird rotation had I not stapled the coin into a 2x2 holder and happened to notice it was "off".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One I have had for a while

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: carabonnair
    One I have had for a while

I like that one... want to part with it?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PurplePenny
    mnemtsas2 is my partner. We are both pretty keen on the old error coin.
    Australia 1985-1998 Dollar 90% off centre PCGS MS65
    Just recently graded
    Australia 1964m Penny Rotated Double Strike

I like those... would be glad to add any of those to my collection.
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn

I'll hang on to it for now, but glad you like it.

Another error coin, a one-year commemorative issue from Guernsey:

• desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    I've been collecting error coins for almost 20 years now. Here are just a few of mine:

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RTScott1978

That is probably the coolest brockage error I've seen. That bear on the castle wall has always been one of my favorite German States designs and seeing it like this makes me love it even more.

I too always liked that design but doubted I could ever afford a superior example. Buying this error was the next best thing. Cost was less than a 'proper' high grade example.

Over time, I have come to prefer it. But that was my reasoning.

Errors can be an opportunity to own something otherwise unattainable, and at the same time, uniquely beautiful. Any collector who shuns errors because they don't like the idea of 'broken' or 'imperfect' misses countless opportunities. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: carabonnair

Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn

I'll hang on to it for now, but glad you like it.

Another error coin, a one-year commemorative issue from Guernsey:

Very cool clip, and sort of similar to my Jersey clip above. If you ever decide to part with that one, let me know. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Sometimes the easiest way to explain a mule is to have the other two coins with it. The New Zealand/Bahamas mule is not too hard to get -

Hmm - maybe I need to swap out the proof 2 cents for a regular circulation strike.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had this Guatemala coin since around 1964 and it looks like the reverse is double-struck.

Guatemala silver 50 cents 1962

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television