Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pirate approved 200 years ago OR Ex Jewelry?

I'd like to believe a well known pirate tested this piece by clipping a little of the top with his teeth.

What say you.

I don't see any heat marks or gold solder and it does have a slight tooth like chunk removed...somewhere out there is a pirate with a pocket full of gold chips.

Now IF I can just figure out how to put the pictures up.....I'D be Golden.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old mount removal is entirely possible, if not likely- though the pirate tale is more fun. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The parrot bit it.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Old mount removal is entirely possible, if not likely

I've seen this sort of nip on coins where an old loop was just broken off rather than cut or filed off. The puffin does like the parrot comment tho...

(sorry for the multiple posts - shouldn't try to respond on my phone)

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful piece of history and the damage wouldn't bother me at all. Especially if it was inexpensive relative to its age and history.

Just be aware that piracy was essentially over by the early 18th century. Wikipedia says: By early 1719, the remaining pirates were on the run...Piracy was clearly on a strong decline by 1720. The Golden Age of Piracy did not last the decade."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Piracy#The_post-Spanish-Succession_period

I always think of pirates being around until around the time of the American Revolutionary War. It turns out they were pretty much a romantic legend by that time.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Puffin Man's accidental triple post brings to mind something I noticed last night.

Have y'all also lost the "delete" (as in, delete your own post) option?

Using Chrome, I don't see it anymore. "Edit" is still there, but "delete" is gone? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Puffin Man's accidental triple post brings to mind something I noticed last night.

Have y'all also lost the "delete" (as in, delete your own post) option?

Using Chrome, I don't see it anymore. "Edit" is still there, but "delete" is gone? image

Yup. Think I saw a reference to it over on the currency side as well. I guess its just "an improvement to serve you better."

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be aware that piracy was essentially over by the early 18th century...

Not according to Robert Louis Stevenson.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2

Just be aware that piracy was essentially over by the early 18th century...

Not according to Robert Louis Stevenson.

Or certain modern individuals off the coast of Somalia or in the South China Sea.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that parrots tend to bite coins at 12 o'clock. Must be in their genes.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MrEureka

I've noticed that parrots tend to bite coins at 12 o'clock. Must be in their genes.

As an eight-year-old, I also discovered that parrots are quite partial to the tops of little boy ears, too, when one removed a goodly chunk of mine.