Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fun at a local coin show

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
There is a local show held here roughly three times a year (maybe it's 4). It inevitably falls on a work weekend or when I'm driving around with a grumpy offspring...or something. Luckily I made it this time, and solo.

It's advertised as 40 tables, I didn't stop to count, but the floor space was filled. Mostly lightside material of course, but a a few tables with 'other', including one where I picked up a few Japanese things. Seemed like happy dealers and a decent amount of foot traffic, and the parking lot (local VFW) was about 3/4 full. Picked up an application for the local club membership..there are about 80 members it sounds like. Maybe I'll look into it. Geez, coin socialization in real life, not sure if I can handle it.

My first mameita-gin (bean money) surprisingly. A bit worn and I will have to work to identify it at some point. First, it will need an acetone bath--it was in a standard cardboard 2x2, BUT before that was stapled it was still tucked in a PVC flip! I'd never seen that, I guess the regular cellophane wasn't sturdy enough, but yikes on the PVC.

I felt compelled to buy something for my US collection--which is either 90% or for my 7070. I needed a 20 cent piece and found a decent raw one with enough detail it can fit in my album. I'm mostly trying for XF to AU but dropped a bit for the 20 cent. Didn't want to hurt my darkside budget too much image.

The Brazil coin was truly an impulse buy...sure do seem to love anything from the 20s-30s and this was no exception. Roanoke is a big train town, so a train coin seemed worthy. Not too bad for a buck (I'm sure catalog is a mere .50, but oh well, I didn't check before dropping the dollar). I used that as an opportunity to tell a younger couple how cool it is to collect darkside. I forgot to mention we have cookies over here, but they liked the idea of trains too.

Quickie kitchen counter photos:

edited to add:

I forgot this guy in the combo shot above (plus forgot an ever so slightly AU reeded edge better date 10 yen, no pix of that one though).

This is brass, with pretty colors and I was not able to catch just how reflective on the cell phone shot. Very sweet and a year I didn't have--it's a 'key', though that's not saying much. I like the old style lettering 'script' style rather than the modern block style.

Edited to add the denomination for the single coin photo below, it's a 5 yen. The 10 yen isn't in any of the photos.

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool...........I love coming home with goodies like that........Congrats and thanx fer sharing

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the write-up and your images are very nice!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Like your new brass 10 yen. Very utilitarian yet very attractive design. Congrats on some nice pickups.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick ups! image
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: STLNATS

Like your new brass 10 yen. Very utilitarian yet very attractive design. Congrats on some nice pickups.

It's actually a 5 yen.. The 10 yen are a roughly quarter sized copper coloured coin.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Wow, the Bean Money caught my eye right away!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the nicer photo was the 5 yen I left out of the group shot. The 10 yen was left out too, but I haven't taken an individual shot of it yet.

I knew it wasn't clear when I reread my comment, but I wasn't logged in at the time and hadn't clarified, but I added a comment now. Hopefully that clears it up a bit image.

The phone won't likely do the 10 yen justice. It's pretty nice and of a scarcer year, and cool with the reeded edge, but not quite uncirculated.

Still, not too shabby for the local show. There was some pretty decent light side material, though I'm not sure if the pricing was good. I flew blind on the 20 cent and lucked out. It was a fair price for a decent enough coin. One seller had a ton of nice US classic commems. The prices there are so depressed I thiught about it, then realized I need a new collecting direction like I need a hole in my head. Stacks has the majority of my next three months coin budget, so NO NEW COLLECTIONS. I passed on a pretty Athena/Pegasus ancient for the same reason...and I had no idea if the price was right. I have no excuse for the bean.

• Options
    Great post, and very nice colors on the 5 yen!
    "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Well whatever it is, I still like the brass whatzit and think the comments, except for the denom (and obviously I hadn't made an effort to verify which it was), still apply.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool little bean!

That 20c has exactly the look I'm going for in my VF-XF seven-piece Seated set (and is one of the types I lack)- so if you wanna swap or sell it in the near future, let me know! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    The Mameita Gin is a neat piece! I'll be interested in the identification when you get round to that. image

The 20c is my old stomping grounds and it looks like you've found a pretty nice circ example.

That Brazil 200R pulls me directly into the 1930's. I think its the font. Neat!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A great group of pickups. I love coming home from a show with a bag full of goodies.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC