Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

"Numismatic Gladiator X" Championship Round announcements

"Numismatic Gladiator" Intro & Index Thread

*** NUMISMATIC GLADIATOR X *** CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND ANNOUNCEMENT ***

NG10 is to be a "Championship Round", in which all NINE of the champions from NG1 through NG9 will be invited to face off against each other, in a Cheap Coin Contest of epic proportions!

That's right- there will be NINE coins to vote on!

Hello, past NG champions! (And whoever wins the pending NG9 round):

It is now time to announce the category and price point for our championship round, when all nine champions will face off!

Are you ready? image

OK, here goes.

The category is one you're all sure to like.

It is... ANYTHING GOES!!!

That's right- ANY coin, token, or medal. Anything numismatic (though preferably coin-like and metallic.)

So that's easy enough, right? Gives you a lot of leeway to shop in.

But here's the twist... the challenging part.

The maximum price for the NG10 round will be TEN dollars US. ($10.00).

Only half what it is in a regular round. So you've got a whole lot of categories to shop in, but everyone will be pretty tightly restricted, pricewise.

This is NG10... get it? The tenth round? So... ten bucks this time.

There is still some cool stuff to be had out there within a ten-dollar limit.

Accepted venues are eBay (Buy-It-Now) or VCoins.com.

You may only take advantage of an eBay Best Offer option or a VCoins sale price if the original price was less than the $10 contest limit.

As usual, shipping charges do not count against your total, so you may spend up to ten dollars regardless of shipping cost.

You may go ahead and start shopping as soon as you read this, since it will take a while to coordinate all nine gladiators for NG10. We can do this while NG9 is running, and whoever wins NG9 will also be invited into the championship round for NG10.

Further notes for the NG10 championship round:

NG10 participants: please, just ONE single coin/token/medal; no sets or lots.

Also, there will be no "LordM commentary" this time, like I often add in the poll threads of regular NG rounds, since with nine of us contributing, there is bound to be an item or two I know nothing about.

Similarly, there might not be any "NGC/Krause priceguide links", since not everything posted may be listed in Krause.

HOWEVER, each participant IS encouraged to contribute their own short paragraph about the coin, its pertinent information, and why they bought it, and if they want to put a priceguide link in that, I will see to it that the hyperlink gets reproduced so that it works in the description.

These are our past champions who have been summoned to participate in the NG10 championship round.

(In the event one is unavailable or declines to participate, his or her defeated opponent from their round will be invited, not only for a shot at redemption, but a chance to seize the championship trophy from the champions!)

image ~ Aethelred - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ Swampboy - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ dadams - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ lordmarcovan - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, will write my own blurb writeup

image ~ Jackthecat1 - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ PatAR - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ TavernTreasures - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ LochNESS - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ CoinCast - is in image ~ READY: Item bought, blurb writeup provided

image ~ this trophy is gonna look mighty fine in somebody's sig line, ain't it? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Count me in. I am sure you will think of an excellent genre.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

Count me in. I am sure you will think of an excellent genre.

Excellent! The crowds wanted to see a rapier-wielding cat in the ring.

Oh, you'll like the genre, I can practically guarantee that.

There will be a teensy bit bigger challenge involved, however.

I mean, it's a championship round after all, right? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a rumble.

I love it.
    Originally posted by: Swampboy

Sounds like a rumble.

I love it.

Good. I'll assume that means you're in.

And yes, a rumble it shall be!

• PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Sounds like great fun! I'm in!
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. Now where's that rules of engagement manual? image
    Originally posted by: LotsoLuck

I'm in. Now where's that rules of engagement manual? image

Hey, Kevin. Unfortunately you can't just join the NG10 Championship Round.

That's just going to be for the folks who've already won a past contest.

HOWEVER, we would welcome you as a contestant in one of the regular rounds.

In fact, it might have been the NG9 error coin round you were volunteering for?

If so, you'll be the second candidate to volunteer to face seanq in NG9.

Aethelred and I will have to make the final decision on who the gladiators in that will be.

If you DO play in NG9, and BEAT seanq's coin, THEN you'll be eligible to play in NG10.

(Or "go to the playoffs", as it were).

If not NG9, I hope to see you in a future contest, perhaps NG12. image

(It has just been decided that Aethelred and I, the original NG1 gladiators, will have a rematch with ancient Greek coins in NG11.)

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I am excited about the errors round. It may be the most challenging yet, as that category tends to be the most subjective.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

(It has just been decided that Aethelred and I, the original NG1 gladiators, will have a rematch with ancient Greek coins in NG11.)

OR Greek Imperial.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Looks like all of our past champions are aboard for NG10, so that just leaves the wrapup of NG8 and the NG9 contest, for which seanq is definitely aboard and has had at least two folks volunteer to be his opponent.

Champions- as soon as NG9 is launched, I will let you know the theme and price point for the NG10 championship round, so you can be shopping for NG10 while NG9 goes on.

(It may take me a bit longer to line up nine people's purchases and edit the photos to uniform size and get the poll ready.)

One NG9 competitor has made his purchase and is ready.

The other made a nice purchase which unfortunately had to be disqualified, because he'd overlooked the part which said the original price had to be less than $25. (He got the coin for $25 with a Best Offer, but the original price on it was $50). Nice coin, but he's still shopping for something which qualifies under the contest rules.

As soon as he's done, we'll have NG9 up and running.

But in the meantime, it's time to announce NG10 so all our past champions can start shopping for their championship round entries!

(NG10 announcement to follow in the post below...)

(moved the info in this post to the OP)

(moved the info in this post to the OP)

So has anybody made their NG10 purchases yet? I'm pretty close to that, I think.

Both NG9 competitors have made their selections, but I'm still waiting on one to submit his little descriptive blurb. Then we'll get that poll up.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

So has anybody made their NG10 purchases yet? I'm pretty close to that, I think.

Both NG9 competitors have made their selections, but I'm still waiting on one to submit his little descriptive blurb. Then we'll get that poll up.

I blurbed you this morning, and I take full personal responsibility for the delays in getting NG9 started. I just hope the voters don't hold it against me. image

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Originally posted by: seanq

I blurbed you this morning, and I take full personal responsibility for the delays in getting NG9 started. I just hope the voters don't hold it against me. image

Sean Reynolds

It just gives all the champions more time to shop for their NG10 entries. So far I haven't heard back from anybody on that. I've narrowed my NG10 selections down to a short list of two or three contenders. You and CoinCast might want to look for NG10 entries yourselves, since whichever one of you wins NG9 will then be asked to enter the NG10 championship round as well.

• dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    I've made and purchased my selection. image
    Originally posted by: dadams

I've made and purchased my selection. image

Excellent. So have I, and Aethelred, and Jackthecat1.

Shoot me a link when you get a chance, and don't forget to provide your little blurb writeup.

I'll start updating the post in the OP to show who's gotten their NG10 purchases ready.

• PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    I've emailed you my entry. Looking forward to seeing what everyone has selected! image
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see all of the entries. I am sure they will encompass a wide variety of the numismatic world.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

Me, Jackthecat1, and PatAR are all ready to go.

Aethelred has provided a link to his item but no blurb yet.

dadams has reportedly bought something but not provided a link or a blurb yet.

No word so far from the rest.

• TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Entry emailed!
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
    I am sorry to hold things up.

Hopefully my entry on Saturday won't be too late.

Originally posted by: Swampboy

I am sorry to hold things up.

Hopefully my entry on Saturday won't be too late.

Ah, there you are, Gil. Wondered where you've been. Saturday is fine. It's not like this is the G20 summit or the Olympics or anything.

OK... September 1st update!

Aethelred still needs to provide his blurb writeup.

Still waiting on Swampboy's link and blurb (Saturday).

No word yet from LochNESS.

And the NG9 winner (looking like CoinCast) will need to buy something and provide link and blurb.

Everybody else is ready to go.

I have submitted sent my entry to the Directors and am prepared to enter the lists.

May the best coin win.

Still need a writeup from my fellow director Aethelred, but I'll hound him for that.

Still no word from LochNESS. I suppose I'll email him. If we don't hear from him after a while, his defeated NG8 opponent, WorldCoinsDmitry, will be invited to play in the championship for a shot at redemption.

CoinCast, our recent winner of NG9, is shopping.

Blurb coming in a day or two.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Hello dearest friends. Sorry for the delay, Lord M.

Please update my status to "purchased, blurb and link sent!!!"
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Nessie's back! Yay.

So we just need the Aethelred blurb and CoinCast's selection, and I can start working up the poll thread.

(We might end up waiting on me when all is said and done, but we'll have the ball rolling on this soon.)

I getting really excited to see the other entries! I can hardly wait!

Time to choose my seat ...

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Aethelred was slow in providing his blurb writeup, so I made one for him:

"When I bought this coin, I thought I was getting a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles colorized hologram Kennedy half (the rare subvariety where Donatello has a stalk of broccoli in his hand instead of a weapon).

But when it arrived, it was some coin with a LADY on it. Eew!

I was going to leave the seller a negative, but then I realized that the lady on the coin was probably Miley Cyrus, and I'm a huge Miley Cyrus fan, so I decided to keep it. I'm sure it is super rare."

Hm. Funny, after I provided that writeup for him, he decided to create his own, and provided it right away. I wonder why? image

CoinCast has purchased his coin and provided link and blurb, too, so now the only person we're wating on is... me.

Now I've got to edit the pictures and prepare the poll thread and post all the blurbs and such.

Now I've got to edit the pictures and prepare the poll thread and post all the blurbs and such.

Which isn't easy, on this truly wretched software, which is throwing out all kinds of captchas and error messages at me.

(The captchas seem to increase in the wee hours, when I do most of my posting- why is that?)

Dear PCGS- I don't want to sound unappreciative- I know you tried with this software "upgrade", but this system is utter crap. Small wonder people have left in droves. Have you noticed how slow even the US Coin Forum and US Coins BST are? Those are usually some of the most active forums here. But even they have been slow. I'm sure this horrid software has something to do with that. In fact I've spoken with people on other coin forums who said just that.

I'll be spending much more time on CoinTalk from now on. Their software (at least for my 70-some posts thus far) has performed flawlessly and has tons of features this "new" software here lacks. It is far, far superior.

Which is a shame, really. I've spent 15 years here and I'm not jumping ship completely- I'll continue to post casually here- but I'm beginning to think that more complex posts with lots of code (like the "Numismatic Gladiator" championship poll I'm trying to create right now, or some of my collection threads) might just be better posted on CoinTalk or maybe Across the Street.

I've about had it with the captchas and the errors, and the terrible new PM format which no longer supports images, etc., etc.

Aethelred was slow in providing his blurb writeup, so I made one for him:

"When I bought this coin, I thought I was getting a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles colorized hologram Kennedy half (the rare subvariety where Donatello has a stalk of broccoli in his hand instead of a weapon).

But when it arrived, it was some coin with a LADY on it. Eew!

I was going to leave the seller a negative, but then I realized that the lady on the coin was probably Miley Cyrus, and I'm a huge Miley Cyrus fan, so I decided to keep it. I'm sure it is super rare."

Hm. Funny, after I provided that writeup for him, he decided to create his own, and provided it right away. I wonder why? image

Not saying there was anything wrong with your writeup, it is a fine writeup.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Well, we will have a poll... eventually.

The forum throws up repeated captchas (sometimes 2 and 3 in succession) every time I try to edit or preview the poll thread on the Testing Forum, then when I get through those, I get Error 113-ed every time.

I am growing to despise this new software "upgrade" as much as I did the old forum in its final bug-ridden days.

Oh, wait, I already posted a rant about that, didn't I. Which no one will ever read. Eh, well.

In my past experience, the captchas seem to strike me in the wee hours and when I try again in the afternoons, the same copy-and-pasted code works.

We'll see if that works later on. I had to compose the entire poll thread (images, hyperlinks, and all its myriad moving parts) in an MS Word document to save for later.

At least I got that chance this time.