Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

"Numismatic Gladiator" VIII (LochNESS vs. WorldCoinsDmitry)

WELCOME TO NUMISMATIC GLADIATOR VIII!

To see how the earlier competitions went, click here.

1. Both contestants agreed to purchase a single coin from the assigned category.

2. The coin had to cost no more than $20.00 US.

3. In order to avoid either contestant having an advantage, contestants agreed to buy their coins from the same public venue.

4. Shipping was not included in the $20.00 limit.

5. You can now vote on which coin you like best without knowing which coin belongs to whom. That will be revealed at the end.

6. The person whose coin receives the most votes gets bragging rights and a sigline trophy.

(And the cool coin they purchased, obviously.)

This cointest will run until midnight Eastern on Friday, August 19, 2016.

Vote for whichever coin appeals to you most.

This need not be the one that is more monetarily valuable. Catalog and/or retail value should be weighed into the decision, of course, but this cointest is about overall desirability - eye appeal, history, design, etc. It is much more about collecting fun than "investment" value.

The coins are presented here in chronological order, in similar sized images (though note that the actual coins themselves may differ widely in physical size).

Which do you like better?

COIN A: German States (Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel) billon 6-Pfennige, 1823-CvC @ $20.00 from eBay.

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

Message from the gladiator who bought Coin A:

"As for why I chose this coin... It is not particularly pretty. It is however an interesting specimen of necessity. Billon was basically the illusion of silver while actually being common metal. This piece shows the contrast both in practice and in theory. It's also a fairly uncommon one year type, thus it just barely squeaked into the limit for the contest."

Commentary from LordM:

Voters and spectators: don't be too hasty to dismiss this one based on the less than optimal images and, as our gladiator points out, the eye appeal alone. It does have some history and a popular horse design, and as the seller indicated in the title of the auction, a pretty solid catalog value ($65 in VF). Now, we know this might not quite be a VF, but considering that value (VF is the lowest grade listed), this doesn't look bad at all for a $20 purchase. Both coins in this contest have relatively low mintages, but at 60K, this one has less than half the mintage of its opponent.

COIN B: German States (Hamburg): silver 1-schilling, 1855-A, @ $16.51 from eBay.

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

Message from the gladiator who bought Coin B:

"Here is the Numista page with catalogue details about this type: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15836.html

Why This Coin:

Design was my first priority. I chose this coin because, unlike busts and birds, the Hamburg castle crest interests me a great deal. It reminds me of medieval times, which is what I imagine when I think "German states." Also, unlike most '55 Hamburg schillings, this one has the "A" mintmark. Only 112k minted (versus 1.84 million for non-A variety). With a respectable diameter of 17mm, 0.375 Ag content weighing over 1 gram, and medal alignment, it's a winner in my book. And the price was right."

Commentary from LordM:

I have little to add to that excellent summary, and think this was an awesome buy for the money. At .375 fine, it's not got a whole lot more silver content than the coin above, but it too has a reasonably decent catalog price ($13 XF, $27 MS60), considering what it cost and the fact that it appears to be a Choice AU gradewise, in my opinion.

Hats off to our cointestants! May the "best" coin win! imageimage

*** FINAL UPDATE ***

Coin B was the winner, producing a victory for LochNESS.

Which item do you like better, for the money? (Total Votes: 41)

A-German States (Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel) billon 6-Pfennige, 1823-CvC, @ $20.00

10 votes 24.39 (%)

B-German States (Hamburg): silver 1-schilling, 1855-A, @ $16.51

30 votes 73.17 (%)

C- I can't decide- they're both great for the money

1 votes 2.44 (%)

D- Neither- they both suck

0 votes 0.00 (%)

E- I'm totally neutral

0 votes 0.00 (%)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was suggested that we do away with all the poll options except A or B- one or the other- but I have my reasons for keeping the options as they were, consistency among them.

I with withhold my vote for a little while, though I think I have already decided. This should, as ever before, be an interesting contest.

Best of luck to our gladiators. We salute you! Thank you for helping to keep the sleepy Darkside from withering away completely!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came, I saw, I voted.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a sucker for those german states coins...
    Love them both..
    In the end
    I voted
    ?????
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    Voted for coin A. To me, coin B seems to be more readily available, but is still a nice coin. Let's go coin A.
    I'm 99% decided, but still haven't actually voted yet.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Coin A is certainly historical and interesting but Coin B is no slouch in those departments either plus is much more attractive. I voted for B. Surprising that it was struck in Berlin when Hamburg had a mint.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• I must concede victory to my opponent and his very nice looking castle. Unfortunately I do not own a catapult or trebuchet to break those walls image

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Never give up
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • The votes are pretty clear. Also, I purchased this coin purely for the contest. It's not even what I collect. If someone wants it it's theirs gratis. Brandon, you have one of these in your horse collection already?

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an old Doors fan so I voted nostalgically.image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ajaan
    I came, I saw, I voted.

Et Tu Ajaan?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    I too, Ajaan.

I have voted, but not the way you might think, and indeed not the way I myself had been thinking earlier.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Have always been fond the Bruswick horsies (esp the multiples) and really wanted to like that 6 pf, but that Hamburg is just too cute...almost looks like it was built from an early LEGO set.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
    Originally posted by: STLNATS

Have always been fond the Bruswick horsies (esp the multiples) and really wanted to like that 6 pf, but that Hamburg is just too cute...almost looks like it was built from an early LEGO set.

Exactly the impression I had, on all points, including the attention to the blocks in the castle.

I had a hunch the Hamburg castle was gonna be a clear favorite from the beginning- and so it has proven.

I too am a fan of the Hamburg piece but cast my vote for the Brunswick horse because 1) I live in Brunswick (GA) , and 2) I often like to root for the underdog. image

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    When I was in London, I visited the Tower of London (aka ye old castle). Saw some pretty cool stuff there, including some amazing coins (the mint was there for a spell). And, the bricks looked like LEGO blocks. I think that is just how castle bricks look.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    Both great choices with fantastic, classic designs. Brunswick horses and wildmen are some of my favorites. 1823 was the year Duke Charles II reached majority and took control of the government of the Duchy of Brunswick -- taking over from none other than King George IV of the United Kingdom (who had been acting as his regent).
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although B is quite the cute little castle coin, I vote A, for it has the look of a coin that has changed many hands. Oh the stories it could tell...
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are cool, however I went with A.

I like horses, and coins, and horses on coins....you get the idea.

I like horses so much I used a rather obscure slightly sway-backed mare for my username.

(I should say that she may have been a looker in her day, but the only surviving photograph of her is not flattering.)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the schilling. image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the votes, and honest commentary. As I told my worthy opponent last weekend (after the coins were posted) ...

I think from a pure numismatic perspective, considering the core values of collecting, his coin is a better choice. It has historical significance (although I believe the silver Hamburg schilling was also central to commerce at the time). It has good honest wear, which means it was used in numerous transactions, yet it has survived the centuries. And the design is interesting and appealing to many.

However, I prefer my choice because those are not the only factors in my personal collection. I am one of those who likes big shiny silver things (if my avatar didn't give it away by now). I like that my coin has circulated, but still has an attractive condition. I like that my coin has some silver in it. And frankly, I prefer castles over horses.

So there we have it. Castle won this time. Perhaps next month or the year before it would have gone the other way.

I had a fantastic time, and thank you again for the votes. This was real fun. Possibly the most fun I've had in our hobby all year long.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to LochNESS for your win.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

I had a fantastic time, and thank you again for the votes. This was real fun. Possibly the most fun I've had in our hobby all year long.

That is what it is all about, good job Nessie!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Bravo, Nessie- and Dmitry, too.

I was briefly Yeti and thus did not call this at the appointed time, but I see Nessie is wearing the NG8 trophy, so good!

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Congrats LochNESS and I am sure we all are enjoying this.