Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Owl Athens with a small testcut

Just bought this silver Tetradrachme on a local site for little money,
the guy who tested it over 2000 years ago didn't hold back image

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good gravy, the owl is nearly decapitated!

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    He really wanted to make sure that was good!
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stork

Good gravy, the owl is nearly decapitated!

So was Athena!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • It is a historic piece showing how it was used in commerce.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ProofArtworkonCircs
    It is a historic piece showing how it was used in commerce.

That's the reason I bought it, I also want to buy a fourree when I find a nice one.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. I am coming up on my fortieth anniversary as a coin collector and still have never owned an Athenian Owl tetradrachm. I always said that I wanted the first one I bought to be a nice one. However, there is something to be said for having a well-used piece or one with a banker's mark or test cut, like yours here. It gives the piece character and brings its history to life. And, if it's also inexpensive, that's great. Nice pickup.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    I thought the same,Rob This is my first Owl , also with a little testcut , but hard to see in hand. I think the new one also has a bankers mark in the form of a leave right under Pallas mouth.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything about that second one you posted (aside from the small test cut itself) is appealing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that coin! image
    What a pity about that test cut.
    He could have just used this instead:
    He probably couldn't afford one, looks like an expensive apparatus , where can you buy them ?
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did he use, an axe?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Originally posted by: Andres
    He probably couldn't afford one, looks like an expensive apparatus , where can you buy them ?

ebay image