Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newp (aka, I scratched an itch today): Anglo-Saxon sceat

Primary phase Series BI, diademed head r. within serpent circle, rev. bird on cross, annulets at sides within serpent circle, 1.22g, (S.777). Well centred and extremely fine, a good example.

(The picture is derived from the seller's site.)

I also have an attractive Series BIIIA (S.777A), whose picture I include here for comparison:

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one way to scratch an itch, EVP!

P.S. That's a bird? Is it also suppose to be a bird on your second example, because it looks more like a caterpillar... image
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the bump, Z. I hate it that Anglo-Saxon stuff gets little interest around here. But, in fairness, the first coin is more easily loved to the aficionado than the general collector. The second has snazzy colors so more easily appreciated due to the additional dimension.

Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

P.S. That's a bird? Is it also suppose to be a bird on your second example, because it looks more like a caterpillar... image

2K - master craftsmen they weren't. image

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coins, both of them!
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

The schnose on the king looks like a bird beak too, must have been quite the fashion thence?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool little coins. The toning on the second one is really nice.

Though crude, I find this "Dark Age" stuff interesting and might dabble in it a bit more if it weren't usually so expensive.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Must have been a bad itch because that is one awesome scratch!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.image
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my coin today, and I'm posting pictures that I took from my iPhone (and ran through PSE). I think my picture is more faithful in terms of color. It's a nice coin. Don't let my image fool you: it's hard to image these tiny coins well with large enough resolution unless you have great lighting and a camera with good macro capabilities (none of which an iPhone 6 has).