Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Constantine NEWP

Just got this one in, slightly different from most with the eyes gazing toward heaven.

Constantine I the Great (AD 307-337). Æ3 / BI nummus (2.61 gm). Heraclea, AD 327-329. Head of Constantine right, wearing jeweled diadem, eyes raised / VOT XXX in two lines within laurel wreath; •SMHB. RIC VII 92. Sharply struck, near full silvering. NGC MS* 5/5 - 5/5, silvering.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse is very sharp, and the centering is amazing.
    I guess the mushy section of the reverse legend is due to die deterioration??
    It reminds me that I don't know exactly how NGC determines their "strike" scale.
    Their webpage says they consider die state and die wear as factors determining their 1-5 strike rating.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    My belief, and it's really just a guess, is they don't count die wear in the strike category. Meaning that a coin struck from a very worn die could still get a 4 or 5 on strike.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: yosclimber

The obverse is very sharp, and the centering is amazing.

I guess the mushy section of the reverse legend is due to die deterioration??

It reminds me that I don't know exactly how NGC determines their "strike" scale.

Their webpage says they consider die state and die wear as factors determining their 1-5 strike rating.

They also seem more than happy to slab ancients with green growing on them. image

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    They also seem more than happy to slab ancients with green growing on them.

Yeah, but everyone does that, I've got a German States piece in a P holder with a huge glob of active PVC growing on it, still need to get that sent in to fix.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Beautifull coin, so much nicer then the usually worn dark ones. Congrats & thanks for showing
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat coin!

My Dad gave me a Constantine vot XX jubilee coin to as a gift to celebrate a 20 year anniversary. He's all into this character, had me looking into his life myself. Somehow the inscription means "20 more"? Damn near got me into buying more ancients. Reading seems enough for now though.

So yours shows a 30 year jubilee, pretty cool!
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VOT XX
    refers to Roman soldiers who have vowed to serve for 20 years.
    See translations of many common reverses at:
    http://www.romancoin.info/#Ide...ate Roman Bronze Coins
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: yosclimber
    VOT XX
    refers to Roman soldiers who have vowed to serve for 20 years.
    See translations of many common reverses at:
    http://www.romancoin.info/#Ide...ate Roman Bronze Coins

Cool site, thanks for the link!