Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

5 queens on one coin

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got this and her bigger sister (50 crowns) from my dealer for a bit above melt a few years back. This one came in at exactly the maximum (no additional fee) size for standard NGC slabs, so on a whim I sent it in with my last submission. It's really pretty in-hand.

Turks & Caicos 20 crowns
4 Busts of Queen Victoria
Composition: Silver
Fineness: 0.9250
Weight: 38.7000g
Diameter: 45mm

The 50 crown piece is 55.18 grams! image
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That is a lovely design, I've got a proof, but never found such a nice mint state example as yours.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen that design before, super nice! I love seeing all of the different portraits on one coin.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston
    That is a lovely design, I've got a proof, but never found such a nice mint state example as yours.

That's some crazy toning, JCM!

I know they don't give out 68s and 69s often but I really expected this to be a 69. I guess I can't complain with the 67 grade.

I remember when these and the Bahama/Panama/bananarepublic pieces of the same era (late 1960s to late 1970s) were chucked into the melt bucket with relish. And I suspect they still are to a large degree. But some have really tiny mintages and they just seem like they should be worthy of some respect. I mean, this one is 40 years old now!

This one with a mintage of 25,000 pieces? I bet fewer than 10,000 still exist and that's being generous. And the Uncs were probably much more likely to be melted than the proofs.

I think we should declare amnesty on these big early silver bullion pieces. They were the forerunners of the ATB hockey pucks, a way to buy and hold silver when there was none being made in the states.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I've heard of one or two collectors putting together sets, and it's quite difficult since as you say many are very low mintage and a lot have probably gone to the melting pot. But the prices certainly have been going up over the past couple of years.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.

I am about to submit the Cayman Island gold version of the 6 queen coin.

I will post it upon return.

In the mean time, here is a stock photo of a similar coin.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Oooooo. That'll be cool!
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Young Vicky as she appears on the Gothic Florin (bottom left) is by far my favorite bust image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki
    Young Vicky as she appears on the Gothic Florin (bottom left) is by far my favorite bust image

I know I'll miss the Eastern version of the Gothic that I just sold. Is there a name for this bust?

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I do like the Indian version also, here's an original Gothic.