Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

In memorium

Cash, my Schnauzer passed away today aged 15, so though I would post one of my favorite coins:

C. Mamilius C.f. Limetanus Ca. 82 BC. Silver Serrate Denarius (3.81 g). Rome.

When Odysseus returns home after twenty years disguised as a beggar and his old dog, who had been neglected, recognizes him:

"So they spoke. And a dog, lying there, lifted its head and *****ed up its ears. Argus was the hound of noble Odysseus, who had bred him himself, though he sailed to sacred Ilium before he could enjoy his company. Once the young men used to take the dog out after wild goat, deer and hare, but with his master gone he lay neglected by the gate, among the heaps of mule and cattle dung that Odysseus' men would later use to manure the fields. But suddenly aware of Odysseus' presence, he wagged his tail and flattened his ears, though no longer strong enough to crawl to his master. Odysseus turned his face aside and hiding it from Eumaeus wiped away a tear ...

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, always sad to lose a family pet.

nice coin reverse.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Sympathies image
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our sympathy-

Nice coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    My sympathies too Jeff.

As for your post, "in memorium" ,especially the text, I'm already counting it as a DPOTD even if this little honorary title that we were giving to members who had posted something exceptional has fallen into decay, a little bit like the stuff that you wrote.

And if my memory is correct, it was 'kat who was unofficially awarding them, but I took the liberty to nominate it.

Best regards from Berlin

Dimitri
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condolences!!! My Linda is 16 and still doing generally well. I am resolved when the time comes to be strong for her. In the meantime, I try to enjoy her as much as possible.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Sincere condolences Jeff. A loyal pet is most dear as your post eloquently illustrates.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry, losing a dog is awful and too many people don't get that. image

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry Jeff!

edited to add love that favorite of yours - good choice.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences. For many of us our treasured pets are like members
    of the family and our best friends. Our thoughts and prayers are
    with you.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure Cash is in doggie heaven. The coin is definitely another nice way to remember a man's best friend.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Appreciate the kind thoughts, since the kids grew up and left the dogs have sort of taken over as surrogate kids. My actual kids complain when they come home to visit that they never treated them so good.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the kind thoughts, since the kids grew up and left the dogs have sort of taken over as surrogate kids. My actual kids complain when they come home to visit that they never treated them so good.

Well Jeff, when they'll have kids of their own, they'll know that this wasn't true (I assume that they do not have any yet), even though I get the feeling that they instinctively already know this, despite the "complaints". image

D

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭