Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Seeking info on 1833 Ecuadorian coinage

Hi guys,
I have been trying to find some info on the series of 1833 Ecuador coins. I have been attempting to research a 1/2 real coin. Have matched the reverse to a "Mo over 1/2" denomination variety, but I cannot find an exact match for the obverse so far. I have read from a Heritage auction listing that one Jeff Hawley wrote an article describing the varieties of these, but I have had no luck in finding this article. Can any one point me in the right direction? Much appreciated.
The coin that I am researching is pictured below.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    not sure about the article but your coin looks like a match for KM 12.1
  • Yes I suppose it would be KM 12.1, but there seem to be a lot of varieties beyond the simplicity of how Krause catalogs it. This is why I am trying to find the article in question, which supposedly goes into much further detail on these varieties.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I notice most of the older south and central America coins have different varieties and overdates as well. I have a Honduras 25c that doesn't exactly match the book as well. pcgs matched it to that as well.
  • Yes, the locally made coinage from early in the post-colonial period are full of varieties and oddities. Makes it a bit frustrating to research at times image