Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It's Been a While - Some New GB 1902 Pieces

I haven't posted anything here for a while because I haven't bought anything for a while. The only set of coins I'm really working on right now is a 1902 GB set in the best grades I can find. You see the full set of coins here. Really just have the gold (which I probably won't bother with) and the proofs to go.

These three just got back from our hosts.

MS65RB - 1902 Penny "Low Tide"
MS64 - 1902 Blackened Farthing

MS65RD - 1902 Third Farthing
Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins. I am also a big fan of the 1902 issues, mostly because I love matte proofs.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins Mark.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice- I hope you are able to locate a 1/2d low tide in a similar grade as your (if you don't have one already...)

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinkat
    Very nice- I hope you are able to locate a 1/2d low tide in a similar grade as your (if you don't have one already...)

Nope don't have one yet. Keeping an eye out as I'd like to buy one raw, but that could be tough down here in Australia!
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    I prefer to buy world coins raw as well... the 1/2d low tide will be hard to find as nice as the 1d you have- that is an exceptional coin.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    One day, I will have a PCGS MS64RD low tide halfpenny to sell. Just not ready to part with it yet.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Wybrit- I do not recall seeing one graded that high as red- must be a looker.

Mine is only a 58 and I am satisfied with that even though there is room for improvement

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I like the look of that penny, but they're all great.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Coinkat, this is the piece:

IMO might be overgraded a point, but it's still pretty nice. Picked up from Jeff Zarit a few years ago.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pcs here all around - cool!!

• Options
    Wybrit- It is a nice coin. Thanks for posting

As for the grade, its a tough call except with the red and that the key

• Options
    Originally posted by: wybrit
    Coinkat, this is the piece:

IMO might be overgraded a point, but it's still pretty nice. Picked up from Jeff Zarit a few years ago.

That's a nice looking coin!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the farthing of course, most of all. Mark, pls send me a PM with details and mainly a possible source of a simlar one, because my only blackened farthing is a 1917 PCGS MS65.

Also, do not dismiss the gold yet, especially 1902, the most challenging date IMHO, between 1887 and 1937 and we all know why, no need to repeat the story with the aprons for the 506th time image . Not sure if you remember cosmic, one of the oldest members here, he had weird tastes in coins, but he'd built the finest 1902 silver + gold set that I've ever seen, including coins from the finest and most exclusive US dealers as well as famous collections (ex Dr Terner half sov and sov I think) but then again, I do not even follow current registry sets.

I'd try to do this first, B-4 the proof silvers, it will take much longer, despite the fact that it's only 4 coins, because of the time/price ratio, and the difficulty of the coins themselves regardless of the money, but it's your call.

D
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN
    I'd try to do this first, B-4 the proof silvers, it will take much longer, despite the fact that it's only 4 coins, because of the time/price ratio, and the difficulty of the coins themselves regardless of the money, but it's your call.
    D

It's a question of finances right now, the 5 sov in proof would be worth as much as the rest of the coins combined and I'm not sure I'm willing to tie up that much cash in what is, after all, a bit of fun.

We bought a long 1902 proof set a few years back, it had been stored under floor boards here in South Australia for 60 years, the box was a mess but the coins were lovely. Especially the 5 sov!

I'll keep an eye out for another 1902 farthing for you. I've not seen many down here and will likely still buy the next nice one I see.

Mark

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Those are some excellent additions! I really love the British copper. I have a few nice farthings on the way myself. Probably not that nice (they are raw) but still exciting for me.

I am not familiar with the issues about 1902 that Syracusian mentioned. If there is a link to another thread, someone please add it here or send it to me via private message.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind repeating: mint workers at the Royal Mint [for reasons not that clear] were said to have wiped coins as they came off the mint presses on their aprons. Thus most have fine hairlines as issued from the mint. Some have said that it is because they wanted to improve the appearance of what seemed dull coins, but I am not sure that is the actual reason, just one that has been repeated many times.

The interesting bit is that the TPGs seem to grade these all over the map, and so I highly recommend looking at each coin and not just the slabbed number. I have seen many of all denominations and have seen some with the "64" grade INFERIOR to others graded "61" or "62". This holds for mattes of other dates as well and is a pet peeve of mine. Caveat emptor!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Thanks 7J. See, Syracusian, I was one of the people missing at the 505th repetition of the apron story.
  • Options
    A "postscript" to my las post: last nite the infamous CENTSLES seller on eBay sold a matte proof 63 Five pounds gold for $8,600! I don't know if that was a real sale as two of the bidders were suspicious for shill bids to me...
  • Options
    It seems like I have heard nothing but bad things about that seller. I have seen his auctions and threw a couple of low bids at them (like $5 and under). Is it pretty shady down there in FL?
  • Options
    LOL! Yes indeed. Interesting, just have an idea that it might be a bit dangerous, but I've actually gotten some decent things from him - like a gold piefort Panama 1982 50 centesimos (real) for a steal of a price - though slabbed at proof 64 versus his "Homegrading" of 68!
  • Options
    Well its only four points, 7J.