Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

51 Days Later It's Finally Here

So, I had bid on a Spink auction lot, back on 12/2/15 and won.

It was mailed on 12/14/15.

The British CAA marked it "Do not fly," on 12/16/16 and the item is designated for Surface Mail.

Needless to say, it falls off the "radar."

Then, yesterday, I get the peach colored slip in my mailbox. Out of curiosity, I check the tracking website, but it only shows the arrival of the item at my local post office.

So, why was the item marked as it was? The only thing I can figure is that the medal, a large hunk of silver, was placed, with a protective padding, loose in the packet. Perhaps the perception of a loose piece of heavy metal shifting all over within packet made someone nervous.

Be that as it may, this is a cool item, I think, and I look forward to posting my image, hopefully this weekend.
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Ira, glad it finally had a happy ending. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you expecting yet another "problematic" parcel from Europe? Won at Germany but gone via UK or something of the sort?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it finally arrived image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The item from Germany remains missing. It last was tracked to Frankfurt airport.
    As far as Münzhandlung und Auktion Heidrun Höhn is concerned, I believe that they submitted some sort of request to the Deutsche post, but I have not heard from them. I did send a follow-up email, but as usual, they did not respond.

DPOTD
  • Options
    Sorry to hear image

Buying internationally does test your patience level image

I have one incoming from Germany which is a fluke mailed out on 2/2/16 and on 2/4/16 it's already being proceeded through US customs.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had some very good service from all over Europe. Sometimes, I have received items in less than a week. The recent issues have not been the rule. I am sure that you have seen this, but I have seen items quickly reach US Customs in NY and then make cross country tours before returning to New York. I actually live about 20 miles or so, from JFK.

DPOTD
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it arrived finally! Gives me hope for a package I'm waiting on...not anything significant and not from an auction. Pictures when you get a chance! Another horse?

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: harasha

The item from Germany remains missing. It last was tracked to Frankfurt airport.

As far as Münzhandlung und Auktion Heidrun Höhn is concerned, I believe that they submitted some sort of request to the Deutsche post, but I have not heard from them. I did send a follow-up email, but as usual, they did not respond.

I'll always be surprised by your levels of patience and the non chalant way you're dealing with such small misfortunes perhaps, but to the majority of collectors who are certified OCD cases image, there's no such thing as small misfortune when a parcel of numismatic contents gets lost, regardless of the value. Wel 1 out of 2 so far.

And yes, POs around the world have gotten MUCH MUCH slower. I've sent and receved litterally over a thousand parcels from and to Don, who also lives ion NY state. There was a period that he'd send me something on Monday morning, local NY time (ie +7 hours here) and the item would be here on wednesday morning local, ie LESS THAN 48 HOURS, this rarely happens even with parcels within the city of Athens.

No more. Partly because of the much slor POs and partly because of my growing phiobia over the years, after hearing so many horror stories, that practically NOTHING worth over $30 gets sent regular email. I myself send parcels registered abroad, even when the buyer had the choice between regular and registered and chose and paid regular.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    My newp from Germany is arriving tomorrow which is a speed record of 8 days.

That's faster then getting anything from Goldberg or Stacks/Bowers.