• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To a very thoughtful guy!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Happy Birthday!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy birthday!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, y'old man! image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, Dimitri!

Originally posted by: ajaan

I won't say how old you are D.

... but you got your Syracusian dekadrachm out of circulation, right? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • cwtcwt Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    ?????a p????
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob, Eyainetos' masterpiece, the decadrachm from Syracuse (a commem coin like ALL decadrachms), is in my numismatic bucket list, along with a Swiss 1925 100 frs in PCGS 65-66, an Indian $10 in PCGS 65, a Chief $5 in choice unc and a few more.

I won't say how old you are D.

Well, here's a hint: I was 41 when I joined CU. image I was an immature bachelor, I'm now an immature father of a girl turning 5 in less than 4 weeks.

I've had dinner with a friend I hadn't seen for the last 5 years. He lives in London, he travels a lot and I met him through ebay, when he won a $25 Swiss coin from me. The minute he told me that he'd be in Athens a couple of weeks later, I told him to meet at my office and that I'd give him the coin in hand. That's exactly how it happened, only I had no idea that he was such a great guy, with so many collections: art, (paintings) coins, watches, banknotes, and so many others. Soon after that I was introducing him to another member here to represent him at auctions. He's one of the very few TRUE friends I've got left and that I'd choose to go and have dinner on my b-day with. At 54 and counting (there, I said it), time is my most valuable asset and my little angel the person I want to sped most of it with. There are some advanages of becoming a father rather late and among that it's the pleasure one takes from every single precious minute he spends with his kid.

The restaurant has sea food. Last night (difference of the hours with the US, +7 from NY, +10 from LA), I've tasted some mini super fresh shrimps flown in from the tiny island of Symi, near Rhodes as well as the Turkish coast. I was closing my eyes and ears to intensify the pleasure of tasting them. image

Plus, he gave me a US $100 from 1934, without even knowing that it was my b-day. That's the kind of people I wanna be around with. And who got me into Swiss coins, and therefore was a crucial factor in meeting him? Mac and the Darkside, that's who.

Thank you Don and everybody else. I'll be visiting more often this year, banknotes or not, that's a promise, I miss way too many things that can only be found here.

Darksiders and the site is always my number one, my fb, since I'm not a member there and I do not intend to be.

Finally, I'm leaving for Berlin in a few hours, there's a numismatic show and I already have an appointment to have lunch tomorrow wih MrEureka (Andy, let's make it at 14:00, I'm landing at noon, I need to go to the hotel first, leave the girls, Serena and our angel Evie, and then go to Estrel). It won't be a numismatic trip. A meeting or two with Andy, one visit to the show, and the rest will be spent with my daughter and her mummy, with whom we're still not married and we do not intend to be, for a variety of reasons, even though on April the 22nd we'll be closing 2 decades together with a 2-3 year break from each other around 2001-2004. Evie, is half Greek, half Englih,she speaks fluent Greek and much better English than me, with a BBC accent, not like yours truly and like I said, she's not even 5 yet. She's living permanently in Athens and so does Serena, the latter going to London 3-4 times a year to check out on her flat i Portobello and her now 22 year old son, who also spent 4 year in Athens till he got 6 and had to go to boarding school in London.

I have a NYT aticle "why billinguals are smarter" that I've read and printed, but I need to refresh my memory.

OK, going to finish packing now. Impressons from the show and Berlin, next week. I have a smartphone now, a Samsung A3, but I'm useless, I can't even set it up,so any eventual images will come from Serena's iphone.

Again, THANK YOU ALL!image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    cwt, I've tried repeatedly to quote you and reply in Greek, but the new software won't allow me. One of the codes, 103 I think can't pass validation, go figure what this means.... Eyharisto poly in Greeklish, let's see if THIS will be validated.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • cwtcwt Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN
    cwt, I've tried repeatedly to quote you and reply in Greek, but the new software won't allow me. One of the codes, 103 I think can't pass validation, go figure what this means.... Eyharisto poly in Greeklish, let's see if THIS will be validated.

?a?a?a??.

Enjoy the Berlin Show. We're all looking forward to hearing about it.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy belated birthday Dimitri! Sounds like you had a most excellent one image. Best wishes for your new year, and how excellent you get to spend so much good time with your beautiful daughter!

Cathy

• PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Belated Birthday wishes Dimitri! image

I can definitely relate to your sentiments about coming round to certain things later in life.

Enjoy your journey and time spent with friends and family!
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Belated happy birthday! One's children are a great source of pride and joy with grandchildren as the crowning glory. My first grandchild/grandson is turning 2 this February and we are expecting a twin granddaughter and grandson this April.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    Belated happy birthday! One's children are a great source of pride and joy with grandchildren as the crowning glory. My first grandchild/grandson is turning 2 this February and we are expecting a twin granddaughter and grandson this April.

February the ...? I'd be interested to know if your grandson is an Aquarius (yours truly) or a Pisces (Evie and my late brother).
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Also, is his first name Alfredo? Tradition in Greece still dictates that first born grandchildren take the names of their paternal grandfathers/grandmothers and the second born ones,maternal grandfathers/grandmothers.

We broke this tradition with Evie, and not only that, but she was actually never baptized as 99% of Orthodox Christian kids still are. There were reasons for all these: Evie is THE ONLY name for a girl, that SOUNDS exactly the same, wether you say it in English or in Greek, only the spelling is very different.

As for baptism, usually the Orthodox Church prefers an Orthodox name (with a Saint in the calendar, example, Dimitri, Constantine - kostas, kostis-, George, Ioanna (joan, female of John, Ioannis, Yannis) and Evie is an Ancient Greek name in its origins, from the dodecatheon (12 gods) of the Ancient Greeks that is traditionally opposed to, by the still ALL POWERFULL Greek Orthodox church, perhaps not as much as 50 years ago, but still eztremely influential and of course extremely rich.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Dimitri, my grandson's birthday is Feb 13 (Aquarius like you are). His name is Callen Rey (Callen from his paternal grandfather's name Christopher Allen, and Rey from my middle name Reyes). In the Philippines, where I was born, my parents gave a Saint's name in addition to our first name so I was baptized Alfredo Juan (after St John who is the patron saint for the date I was born).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Happy belated birthday, Dimitri!
    Originally posted by: trozau

Dimitri, my grandson's birthday is Feb 13 (Aquarius like you are). His name is Callen Rey (Callen from his paternal grandfather's name Christopher Allen, and Rey from my middle name Reyes). In the Philippines, where I was born, my parents gave a Saint's name in addition to our first name so I was baptized Alfredo Juan (after St John who is the patron saint for the date I was born).

Your well kept secret (for 14 years) is out now. image

Thank you Nick, thank you all once again.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3