Options

Now that is pedigree/provenance

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Pretty!!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Definitely one of the cooler pedigrees out there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    That's Irving Goodman of course, not Mark. Nice Z! image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zohar
    I like the Farouk trace.

Clearly. I've found that the combination of Farouk with the Irving Goodman pedigree, from a collection sold several years ago, might confuse some members as to who this Mr Goodman is.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But I didn't mean to disrespect a thread that my friend Zohar dedicated to me. image I've lately read an extraordinary book, The automobile Club of Egypt, by Egypt's current most prolific writer. Clearly a work of fiction, the book nevertheless recreates a very representative image of Egypt in the 1940s, when Farouk was still "the King of Egypt and Sudan" and books of this sort make me want to buy coins and currency from that period.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gold coins, known to most of you, gold 100 to 500 piastres, or 1 and 5 gold lira, are very sought after, much more than the rarer coins from the Ottoman period. As for the equally sought after banknotes of the period up to 1952, they show the true situation in Egypt: that the directors of its Cental Bank were all English, Cook, Nixon, Leith Ross and others, Egypt remained a country under British occupation (in WW2, even the Greek Royal family and the Greek government found refuge there) and that Farouk, who inherited the throne from his wiser father, King Fuad, was nothing but a corrupted spoilt kid ,playing king as an English pawn, and whose regime was held together by fear , the English and the infamous Secret Services, with Egyptians dedicated to the immature and reckless King and his English "friendly" occupiers.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The book had a profound effect on me, as I know first hand several Egyptians, but my own family too, and my grandfather in particular flourished professionally in Egypt until the confiscation of their industries and houses by Nas ser who left them leave with whatever they could carry, mostly gold Egyptian pounds, equivalent to gold sovereigns, or the latter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short, King Farouk is nothing like the kind of chubby, smiling, well intended king- collector that appears to be in my avatar and other images or even numismatic reports from the period. It was a ruthless police feared regime, with Egypt's resources being used by the English and N*****er's revolution shouldn't have come as a surprise to nobody. Shame that Egypt never found its way again ever since. But this isn't diminishing the honor that I felt when I first saw Zohar's thread. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I was just a youngster when the Farouk sale was conducted; but I remarked to my Dad that it sure would be nice to have one or two of those in my collection. Oh well.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice. I used to own a Pittman/ Foroul gold Syrian half pound. Pittman was given permission from his wife to remortgage their house (what a gal) in order to raise money to buy coins in the Forouk sale. The rumor circulating at the time was that all the coins had been cleaned and polished (not true) so a lot of the coins went for a steel!

Some might find this video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjkAkWxqSls
  • Options
    I have one coin with a Farouk provenance and it came with this little piece of history (which I'll admit I like more than the coin).