Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp... Upper Canada Bank Token :)

I've been looking for a nice high grade example with plenty of remaining mint red for quite some time and finally found it image

1857 Upper Canada - One Penny Bank Token, Breton-719 / Charlton PC-6D, Copper, 34mm Diameter.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck, Nice detail on that one! I'd fathom a 63RB, maybe 64.

Is the obverse area from 7 to 10 o'clock stable? I'm always scared of having copper conserved...

Best, Brandon

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not used to seeing those with so much Red!

I want one of the 1863(?) "Bouquet" penny tokens with that much Red.

Speaking of mint Red, and Canadian stuff, somebody on these forums has or had an 1871 Prince Edward Island cent in PCGS MS67 RD with blazing luster. Though that was posted more than a decade ago, it really made an impression on me and I still remember that coin.

Oh- and speaking of the St. George types, I gave a holed Bank of Upper Canada halfpenny token (1850? '57?) to a coworker of mine (who has since been promoted to become a boss of mine) to put on his keychain. He still has it there more than a year land a half later. The "pocket piece" wear on it actually looks pretty good. It's lighter in color than when I gave it to him, but not all orangey or anything.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

The "Bouquet Sou" tokens are from the 1830s. Maybe you meant 1836?

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: brg5658

Is the obverse area from 7 to 10 o'clock stable? I'm always scared of having copper conserved...

Best, Brandon

brg5658, Thanks there's nothing problematic on this that would require conservation.

It's raw but looks as nice as any TPG 64 or 65 I've seen with less (cabinet image) friction on the thigh from knee to hip.

• Options

I'm not used to seeing those with so much Red!

Speaking of mint Red, and Canadian stuff, somebody on these forums has or had an 1871 Prince Edward Island cent in PCGS MS67 RD with blazing luster. Though that was posted more than a decade ago, it really made an impression on me and I still remember that coin.

Oh- and speaking of the St. George types, I gave a holed Bank of Upper Canada halfpenny token (1850? '57?) to a coworker of mine (who has since been promoted to become a boss of mine) to put on his keychain. He still has it there more than a year land a half later. The "pocket piece" wear on it actually looks pretty good. It's lighter in color than when I gave it to him, but not all orangey or anything.

lordmarcovan, I've seen a few with far more then trace red but they all had some spotting or smears which was distracting on the overall eye appeal.

I'd love to see what the 67RD PEI cent looked like.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Best, Brandon

brg5658, Thanks there's nothing problematic on this that would require conservation.

It's raw but looks as nice as any TPG 64 or 65 I've seen with less (cabinet image) friction on the thigh from knee to hip.

I'm glad it's stable -- hard to tell if that spot / line at 7 o'clock below the left floret by the date is raised "crust" that could come off.

The reverse details of the cornucopia and crown are hammered. The cape/cloak strap across the chest of St. George on the obverse is also well defined, as is the "sock" detail on his right calf muscle.

My 1857 penny I purchased in an ICCS MS60 flip, graded out at MS63BN at NGC (I thought it could have gone either AU58 or MS62/63). I have focused more on the half pennies than the pennies.

-Brandon

• Options
    Broadstruck, very, very nice! Be proud and display proudly image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options

I'm glad it's stable -- hard to tell if that spot / line at 7 o'clock below the left floret by the date is raised "crust" that could come off.

The reverse details of the cornucopia and crown are hammered. The cape/cloak strap across the chest of St. George on the obverse is also well defined, as is the "sock" detail on his right calf muscle.

My 1857 penny I purchased in an ICCS MS60 flip, graded out at MS63BN at NGC (I thought it could have gone either AU58 or MS62/63). I have focused more on the half pennies than the pennies.

brg5658, Thanks here's some main detail close-ups in which you can also see the spot/line is not an issue.

• Options
    Originally posted by: techwriter

Broadstruck, very, very nice! Be proud and display proudly image

techwriter, Thanks! image
  • Options
    Broadie, thanks for the close-up images. Those are much more reassuring! Congrats again.
    -Brandon

• Options

Broadie, thanks for the close-up images. Those are much more reassuring! Congrats again.

brg5658, Thanks as I was extremely happy once I saw it in hand when it arrived image
  • Options

The "Bouquet Sou" tokens are from the 1830s. Maybe you meant 1836?

No, I know the pieces typically called "Bouquet Sous" were from the 1830s.

It was this Nova Scotia type I was thinking of. I guess that's not technically a bouquet on there.

I thought I had one dated 1863 on my old Holey Coin Vest. This picture is of an 1856.

Anyway, I like the design and would love to see a nice Red one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

No, I know the pieces typically called "Bouquet Sous" were from the 1830s.

It was this Nova Scotia type I was thinking of. I guess that's not technically a bouquet on there.

I thought I had one dated 1863 on my old Holey Coin Vest. This picture is of an 1856.

Anyway, I like the design and would love to see a nice Red one.

lordmarcovan, Your wish has been granted image

• Options
    Oh, snap!

I want that!!!! image

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats - your wait paid off as that's a darn nice example!

I would venture 64RB easily from here image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! That looks like a substantial amount of hard, mint red.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done sir! I always thought St George could use a longer sword for his dragon exploits

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

Well done sir! I always thought St George could use a longer sword for his dragon exploits

mark

Indeed, though to be properly Greco-Roman, I guess that's a gladius he's wielding. His medieval portrayals usually show him with a much more effective lance in hand.

• Options
    Thanks everyone... Sorry as I didn't see the posts after & between LordMarcovan's image

mark

Indeed, though to be properly Greco-Roman, I guess that's a gladius he's wielding. His medieval portrayals usually show him with a much more effective lance in hand.

If you look closely at the belly of the dragon right under the hoof you'll see the tip of a broken off spear.
  • Options
    Another joined the collection image

1854 Upper Canada - One Penny Bank Token, Breton-719 / Charlton PC-6C1, Copper, 34mm Diameter.

• Options
    Nice Broadie, I like the more even color on this 1854 than the 1857, particularly on the reverse.

Congrats.

-Brandon

• Options
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Thanks everyone... Sorry as I didn't see the posts after & between LordMarcovan's image

mark

If you look closely at the belly of the dragon right under the hoof you'll see the tip of a broken off spear.

The original Pistrucci design of St. George and the dragon from the sovereign in 1817 had St. George wielding a broken spear. That design with the spear was used on the 1817-1820 George III sovereigns.

Starting in 1821, the George IV sovereigns were minted with the modified St. George and dragon rendition where the spear in his hand had been replaced with a rather short sword. The horse, rider, dragon, and ground were also reworked by Pistrucci. However, the broken spear tip can still be seen on the ground to the left of the dragon.

-Brandon

• Options

Nice Broadie, I like the more even color on this 1854 than the 1857, particularly on the reverse.

Congrats.

brg5658 Thanks along with posting the spear sovereign image