Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1750 1/2D NewP

Here is one I just got below VF price. I figure it should Grade XF if good day 1 higher based on my other submissions to our host.

imageimage

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Nice, that's a well struck example.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice detail and well struck, like JCMh said.

Not sure about your chances at a straight grade, based on the color on the obverse and the dig in the reverse field in front of Britannia's face, but who knows. Maybe the latter is a planchet flaw?

Gradeable or not, it looks nice.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I understand rob. the only reason I think it might grade is based on past submissions. this 1772 had several ugly dings on got XF40. I find they are more lenient on older copper or maybe im just lucky. the only concern I have is maybe ED. looks like its pitted some wont know until in hand then I can roll the dice.

imageimage
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    It is a nice coin, far better than I have of that reign. I think the coppers from that era do wear terribly and also have pitting problems in general. I see the ding in the shield that you are talking about on your 1772 and that does make me hopeful for you that your 50 will grade. I do not have enough experience with our hosts to know if the color on the obverse and dings on portrait as well as the reverse ding will keep you from a grade. But I do hope it grades for you. I think it makes a nice addition to your collection.
    ive seen some uglier ones graded. im still thinking it should hit XF we shall see.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obverse looks cleaned or wiped to me. Good luck.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned and Damaged in my opinion.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: brg5658
    Obverse looks cleaned or wiped to me. Good luck.

+1
    ok I got the in hand pictures now. doesn't look as bad as the previous. the obverse has a area the looks newer. I don't really see any lines from harsh cleaning.

imageimage
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, the toning looks more wholesome in your picture. There may have been an old cleaning or may not. It is hard to tell without the coin in in hand. The reverse ding may still be a problem but overall the coin looks much better in your pictures.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely an old cleaning there. I have zero doubt about that now. That reverse pit may be a planchet flaw, who knows. Either that or the cleaning is going to prevent a straight grade, I fear, but as mentioned, it is still a good looking coin with a lot of "meat" on it. Hopefully you got it at a price that will absorb any potential buyer's remorse over it getting a "details" grade down the road? Though you might not have a perfect track record with TPG submissions (and very few of us do) you seem to do pretty well in your buy prices, if I remember correctly on some past purchases you've posted.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    49.99 and 7.99 shipping so it was a small investment.