Home Precious Metals
Options

Copper cents

How is it that a bag of 5000 wheat cents at melt is$75.00 and every one wants 200.00 a bag for all commens?
KEEP ON TRUCKIN

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are encountering the difference between melt (still illegal to melt them) and the base collector value even common wheats have

And $150 a bag seems more like it.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes $150 per bag is where you want to be on wheat cents, some times you need to stretch if you want to get the deal done. $200 is only 4 cents per coin. Maybe they bought at $150 and need a small profit.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jay1187
    How is it that a bag of 5000 wheat cents at melt is$75.00 and every one wants 200.00 a bag for all commens?

Are you saying $200.00 a bag for 59-81 coppers?

$80 on ebay here

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In reference to your links. Would think not much profit there after shipping cost covered by seller and Ebay fees. Not to mention time to prepare coins for shipping,trip to shipping center etc.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

No profit at all at that price. There was a second link that wouldn't work that i gave up and edited out that had 18 watchers , the seller and 17 other potential sellers I suppose.

Buy high and attempt to sell low .

$50 face at a coin counter , versus 80 at ebay minus 10 in fees minus 12 to ship?

They are probably a good buy if you like copper though, $8 in ebay bucks for the next few hours on that.
  • Options
    Yeah I know that 4 cents a coin is high to me but I see more people asking 350+ a bag and I seen that listing on eBay those are 59-82 memorial not wheat
    KEEP ON TRUCKIN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...that is interesting... with all the wheaties I have in gallon jar, boxes and rolls....If I were not so curious as to what MIGHT be there, I could sell at bulk for a tidy profit. Nah.. I have to search them...image Some day... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be fun to search them if you are in the mood to. image
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The copper is "worth" a certain amount.

The rest of the money is for "handling", which means the time spent and the muscular effort to move them from place to place.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry