Home Precious Metals
Options

September 21st yes or no

Do you think they will raise the rate in September or push it to December? They are trying as markets have shown to make you think September is not off the table. I kind of love this game been fun to watch with popcorn.

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, so that means the Fed probably will.

December, yes. So, that means no.

Clear as Elmer Fudd.
  • Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    If they don't raise it in September it will be funny to watch the spike in metals almost like laughing back at the fed's
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    They should and I think they will.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What effect will a rate increase have on PM prices? Will it hurt PM prices because paper assets will be paying a higher rate of return?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    What effect will a rate increase have on PM prices? Will it hurt PM prices because paper assets will be paying a higher rate of return?

Judging by Friday's results, with only rumors of a rate hike in September, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA

Judging by Friday's results, with only rumors of a rate hike in September, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I assumed the silver price drop on Friday was profit taking after a run up to over $20 per ozt and has nothing to do with a possible rate hike. Do you have evidence otherwise?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I assumed the silver price drop on Friday was profit taking after a run up to over $20 per ozt and has nothing to do with a possible rate hike. Do you have evidence otherwise?

You mean the second run up to $20+ in the last 60+ days. We had our correction after the first one, when it dropped back down to $18.50. The last one, in my book, was not a correction, but an over reaction by the market as a whole, to a possible September rate hike. Do you, have any proof to the contrary?
  • Options

You mean the second run up to $20+ in the last 60+ days. We had our correction after the first one, when it dropped back down to $18.50. The last one, in my book, was not a correction, but an over reaction by the market as a whole, to a possible September rate hike. Do you, have any proof to the contrary?

+1 wait I am filling my pop corn for the main event the games must go on.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh higher interest rates will just DESTROY gold.

Like back in 1980 when rates were stratospheric and gold made its FiRST all time high.

Folks are forgetting that the world is awash with US dollars and....so far...the party's been swell.

But....when the rates are too low to excite foreign bond buyers (because they have a dim view of the US) then the only thing that will entice them to CONTINUE feeding our appetite for debt will be ....raising interest rates.

The first sign of lessening demand for US bonds.

And what's safe other than BONDS?

Hmmmm lemme puzzle this out. image
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    How about a "hell no"! No way they do anything beofre the election. Buy (and sell if you're postioned to) the dip.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not if they're serious about negative interest rate shenanigans.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. With an election 8 weeks away? Hell no. And we'll get back all of Friday's equity market losses and then some. And then some. image

December? Likely another 25 point bump from Janet Bernanke. image
  • Options
    I do not think they will raise it in September, but I do think they made a good opportunity for a buy this next week. The best thing about metals is if it goes lower just buy more to bring your average buy price down. After I cashed out in 2010, 2011 it has been fun this past year stacking again. They will raise rate in December even if they think they shouldn't and I hope that brings us to a 2017 low but who know what chaos will come sooner then we think.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No in Sept and probably not in Dec

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Mark... however, the results of the election could toss all reasoned predictions out the window....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too early
    ask the monday before
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

I agree with Mark... however, the results of the election could toss all reasoned predictions out the window....Cheers, RickO

The trend has been to jawbone and feign that they are raising rates.......the Fed has done a great job in the lip service dept

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Confidence is paramount. Jawboning is a tool to influence confidence. Think of it as being similar to a jobs report.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No they won't, but will say they will raise rates next time.

Next meeting:

Next meeting:

Next meeting:

(I could do this all day, but I'm getting tired).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MsMorrisine
    too early
    ask the monday before

How do we find out if the fed likes pce more than CPI?

If it's CPI I'll lean raise.

If it's pce I'll lean not.

However there is no telling which they use more no matter the vote.

I just wish the PM and FX markets used pce. image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Yellen has mentioned PCE so many times recently that I think the Fed uses it more(?) (instead?)

The market's reaction could be a mistake on my part or the markets' part.

It is interesting that "70% of economists" predict a hike next week.

CME Fed Funds Futures "Fed Watch Tool" has the markets saying a current 81.5% chance of .25%

Lots of differing opinions abound.

Who's right?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: hchcoin
    Gold 2 week slide on inflation data

So faster than expected inflation pushed gold lower? And hete on this board I was lead to believe that inflation would push gold higher. Interesting.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Originally posted by: hchcoin
    Gold 2 week slide on inflation data

So faster than expected inflation pushed gold lower? And hete on this board I was lead to believe that inflation would push gold higher. Interesting.

• Options
    This is a very mild case of inflationitis

This very mild case may lead to higher interest rates

That would lead to more attraction to the us$

Hyperinflation, a bursting of the inflation, inside the us would harm the dollar as it would devalue it so quickly

Doesn't all inflation devalue the us$? Why did the us$ go up on this inflationitis?

there are major currencies like the euro and yen where you have central banks with negative rates. a 25bps raise above the abnormally low levels is attractive in this context

I was wondering when the debt crisis would start. That would seem to be a trigger for fleeing the us$ and the start of gold soaring (at least in us$ terms)
    But a subject of a new thread could ask about the impact of "the new normal" on the timing of the debt crisis
    Borrowing at 2-3% for 30 years certainly slows things down even though I think we are bankrupt now
    And there still seems to be ample cash looking for a place to invest and the us$ is top dog
    That well is keeping the debt crisis at bay most of all

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No action until post election....likely nothing until next year....except a lot of talk and hype. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I suppose, I'm in the minority, but I predict a 25 basis point increase in September which btw, is long overdue. The Feds need to prove, that their decisions are not politically motivated but economy driven.
  • Options

I was wondering when the debt crisis would start. That would seem to be a trigger for fleeing the us$ and the start of gold soaring (at least in us$ terms)

But a subject of a new thread could ask about the impact of "the new normal" on the timing of the debt crisis

Borrowing at 2-3% for 30 years certainly slows things down even though I think we are bankrupt now

And there still seems to be ample cash looking for a place to invest and the us$ is top dog

I agree all the childish talk in the how can I get your vote election, the biggest and most detrimental to the USA the debt crisis. A couple a years away from hitting head on and not a word about it from anyone.
  • Options
    I think the Feds need to prove nothing and only hike off numbers and economic situations.

Personally, we might could use more QE infinity. It wasn't making anyone loan money but at least there is a wealth effect from asset prices and perhaps that pce might move into "change of course" territory.

As for the debt crisis, I think we have years and years and years since rates are slowly rising and there is a very deep and very wet well of money still ready to buy treasuries... And that's even in the face of rising rates and lowering bond prices.

• Options
    Originally posted by: oldstandard

I agree all the childish talk in the how can I get your vote election, the biggest and most detrimental to the USA the debt crisis. A couple a years away from hitting head on and not a word about it from anyone.

Amazing isn't it? Our illustrious national media has largely ignored it for several years now. image And the politicos can't get the sheeple worried, that might cost you votes.

In spite of this there is an undercurrent running downstream and picking up steam.

• Options
    This is the MO of most of the public

Look at voter registration %ages

Then look at voter turn out

Then consider nearly all of them stop caring about politics and gov't once they leave the booth or water cooler.

We're the "weirdos" who care

• Options
    Gold remains the best performing asset of the 21st century.

Thank you central banks, keep up the bad work.

• Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

+1
  • Options

There are 100's of stocks that outperformed gold. Thank you good old American ingenuity, fortitude and confidence. image

• Options

There are 100's of stocks that outperformed gold. Thank you good old American ingenuity, fortitude and confidence. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk

I stand corrected. What I meant and should have said is that gold remains the best performing asset class of the 21st century.

American ingenuity, fortitude and confidence? Don't forget to thank the money printers.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold remains the best performing asset class of the 21st century.

Grant for the sake of argument that it's a true statement.

It's a convenient coincidence that the century began with the stock market unusually high, and gold prices unusually low, relative to the longer term trends.

Pick just about any other starting date and let's discuss image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Originally posted by: Baley

It's a convenient coincidence that the century began with the stock market unusually high, and gold prices unusually low, relative to the longer term trends.

No, let's continue discussing the current, relevant time period. . . one in which misguided monetary policy continues to determine the outcome. When monetary policy changes the discussion can change with it.

• Options

too early

ask the monday before

Is Sunday after noon to soon or should I hit you in the morning
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, let's continue discussing the current, relevant time period. . . one in which misguided monetary policy continues to determine the outcome. When monetary policy changes the discussion can change with it.

So, time started for you when the calender rolled over from 1999 to 2000? (or is it 2000-2001? image )

That's the date everything "changed"?

Well, if you're waiting for "monetary policy" to change back and the world to start working like it should, good luck.

btw, I start my time zero in on July 4, 2011. It's no less arbitrary than Dec 31 1999, is it?

Edit: no, wait, change my time zero to Jan 12, 1980. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

According to many her3, monetary policy has been I'm the capper since the Fed was created. Maybe we should start the clock then?

• Options

According to many her3, monetary policy has been I'm the capper since the Fed was created. Maybe we should start the clock then?

It has become more politicized in the past twenty years. The Washington boys have learned to take their share from the New York boys.

• Options

It has become more politicized in the past twenty years. The Washington boys have learned to take their share from the New York boys.

The Washington boys (& girls) have taken their share for a long time. Now they take far more than their share. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

The Washington boys (& girls) have taken their share for a long time. Now they take far more than their share. image

VanHalen wins

• Options

too early

ask the monday before

OK it is Monday lets here it
  • Options
    too early
    ask the monday before

I posted what I felt I could say on Friday after CPI

I wasn't embroiled in a heated argument in the past. The conversations were much like these election ones lately. I named candidates and parties without foul language. It led to the sticky thread of forum rules and a warning to me.

I strongly recommend everyone talking election impact stay away from party and candidate names.

But cnbc people are still talking election impact and that will likely continue until even after the election.

• Options

too early

ask the monday before

I strongly recommend everyone talking election impact stay away from party and candidate names.

Sorry I did not see it, I understand what you are saying and agree but the majority of people are programed by society and do not think outside the box. If you want a very good indicator of how people will behave and think just keep up with the Television. For example look what was shown on Television in the 50"s and look how people acted then the 60's 70's etc, do I need to say more about 2016? For some reason human nature is to copy the lead person and act like them, I was lucky in life to be show a different way and that's what the 1% club wants do as I want not as I do that way it is easier for them to win. This is just an observation and honesty nothing intended to be rude.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Your state of mind might make you think you are different. But the living reality is that you are very much part of the social system as anyone else. Bottom line is that you bound by the box no matter how much you think outside of it.

Sorry I did not see it, I understand what you are saying and agree but the majority of people are programed by society and do not think outside the box. If you want a very good indicator of how people will behave and think just keep up with the Television. For example look what was shown on Television in the 50"s and look how people acted then the 60's 70's etc, do I need to say more about 2016? For some reason human nature is to copy the lead person and act like them, I was lucky in life to be show a different way and that's what the 1% club wants do as I want not as I do that way it is easier for them to win. This is just an observation and honesty nothing intended to be rude.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    Last night Fed Watch on CMEs site was still at 85% chance of a 25bps hike

Today, cnbc people still talking about possibility of a surprise rate hike

• Options

Last night Fed Watch on CMEs site was still at 85% chance of a 25bps hike

Today, cnbc people still talking about possibility of a surprise rate hike

It would be a shocker with market drama