Home Precious Metals

Deep Space Industries announces first commercial mission to near-Earth asteroid.

ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link here!

While this is an interesting concept, I don't think that this will be a feasible method of harvesting PM's or other rare earth metals (or new elements for that matter) in the near future. Maybe someday this could "disrupt" the mining and PM industry but for now, I think we are safe image

Thoughts?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly safe near term.... however, when it comes to rare earth or new metals, it could well be the future. And working on the future is what makes success possible. Cheers, RickO
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC some years ago there were traces of gold found within the moon samples. Apparently not enough to go back there and start a "gold rush" there.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you'd have told me as a kid that I would live to see a video phone, electric car, actual bionic limbs and robots, the red sox win a world series, and a black president, I'd have said you're crazy.

Now you tell me that we're going to have a woman president and they're sending mining robots to an asteroid? I'm done being surprised. Anything is possible.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Flash Gordon crashes. Not Good.

"the red sox win a world series"

Could be a Cubs year. Finally. Billy Goat.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Yeah...that Red Sox thing is pretty crazy.

Maybe the RS are there at the end this year, maybe Cubs.

Cubs will win the WS before moon / asteroid mining occurs.

My humble prediction.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why go to the moon or an asteroid? It is estimated, that there is more gold in our oceans than has been mined throughout the ages. All we need is for someone to invent a method that is economically viable to extract it.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA

Why go to the moon or an asteroid? It is estimated, that there is more gold in our oceans than has been mined throughout the ages. All we need is for someone to invent a method that is economically viable to extract it.

The asteroid thing is not just about gold;

there are other elements, as well as the knowledge about the evolution of the solar system to be gained..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA

All you have to do is filter a cubic mile of sea water to get your 38 lbs of gold....along with 128 MILL tons of salt to dispose. The world's gold miners already mine approx 8.7 tonnes of gold each day. To match that, the ocean gold miner would have to filter 458 cubic miles of seawater each day.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Space flight is quite expensive.

Imagine you have pure ingots of gold, silver, u-name-it-um "floating" about in low Earth orbit.

You launch a space shuttle up there and fill it floor to ceiling with the goodies.

You return to Earth.

You lost money on this trip. A lot.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷