Home Precious Metals
Options

Amazing how 1 digit in a serial number adds $300+ in value

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Not that may be the highest that will go for in the next 10 years.
    COA
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. easy enough...

What number are you looking for?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the serial number added only a little to this bar's value. This bar is a better type with the bull's head logo and it's in good shape with attractive cooling lines. Very neat bar but not for me---I'll pay a reasonable premium over melt for a vintage bar but not more than three times melt for a bar that isn't that rare.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What digit makes this anything special? I'm not seeing it.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DrBuster

What digit makes this anything special? I'm not seeing it.

I believe POM is referring to the one at the beginning of the serial number. It's not worth any premium to me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the buyer is buried in that item for a long time.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    I'm guessing the serial number added only a little to this bar's value. This bar is a better type with the bull's head logo and it's in good shape with attractive cooling lines. Very neat bar but not for me---I'll pay a reasonable premium over melt for a vintage bar but not more than three times melt for a bar that isn't that rare.

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

I disagree......13 bidders bid it to that level.
    The Engelhard collector community is alive and well, and very active with rarer bars. JMHO

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cmanbb
    Originally posted by: ricko

I disagree......13 bidders bid it to that level.
    The Engelhard collector community is alive and well, and very active with rarer bars. JMHO

+1

Same goes with 3oz top logo with (+) and without (+)...small variation but big difference in price, just sayin.....
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a common type of 10 oz poured bar. The extra digit is a curiosity but I wonder if the buyer can ever recover the premium.

I checked my inventory and found I have the following bars with an extra "1" digit:

1-203223
    1-203190
    1-203161
    246984-1

When purchasing them I paid not much more than $5 per ounce over the then current spot prices during 2010-2013.

Either my sense of pricing for these anomalous bars is obsolete or some bidders are a bit to exuberant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OnlyGoldIsMoney
    It is a common type of 10 oz poured bar. The extra digit is a curiosity but I wonder if the buyer can ever recover the premium.

I checked my inventory and found I have the following bars with an extra "1" digit:

1-203223
    1-203190
    1-203161
    246984-1

When purchasing them I paid not much more than $5 per ounce over the then current spot prices during 2010-2013.

Either my sense of pricing for these anomalous bars is obsolete or some bidders are a bit to exuberant.

Thx for the serial numbers OGIM... I've update the Definitive page as well as my registry. I hadn't had the 1.203xxx series listed under serial examples, only the 1.232xxx run.

There are currently seven 1.203xxx ingots and six 1.232xxx series in the registry FWIW.
    “Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dolomite
    Originally posted by: OnlyGoldIsMoney

1-203223
    1-203190
    1-203161
    246984-1

Thx for the serial numbers OGIM... I've update the Definitive page as well as my registry. I hadn't had the 1.203xxx series listed under serial examples, only the 1.232xxx run.

There are currently seven 1.203xxx ingots and six 1.232xxx series in the registry FWIW.

You're welcome, I will make it a point to send you all my serial numbers by ounce type to help fill out the registry.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rte592

1. easy enough...

What number are you looking for?

Would readily show that a number was added, no?
  • Options
    PeacePeoplePeacePeople Posts: 106 ✭✭
    I sold one of those 1. serial number bars back in Jan of 2016 for $1000...to be fair...silver was about $14/oz and I worked a 3 way trade...my buddy got the silver, I got the $1000 and somebody else got the E bar... So yes, people will pay for rarity, that would include serial number rarity, stamping variety rarity or any other rarity if they collect, don't have it and want it. That's kind of what collecting is about right, I don't have one, I want one of all the varieties and will pay to get it.
    Nevermind...