Home Precious Metals

1911 George V 5 pounds original coin question

Hello all.

I have a counterfeit of subj coin probably from Syria.

I found in Sovereign Fakes that these counterfeits can be about ~22K gold.

By dimension/weight calculations I got density about 17250 - that's admit suggestion in the article.

From wiki I found out that classic sovereign alloy is 11/12 gold and 1/12 copper.

The problem is that the colour of counterfeit is definetely "light yellow" not "rose" (see picture comparing 999 bar)

Maybe it is because of addition of few percent of zin??

Can anyone who have this original coin describe it's colour or make photo comparing also with 999 bar ?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would really like to see pictures... of your coin and other originals.. Cheers, RickO
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Ask the same question in the world and ancient coin forum. They might be more help.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Serious question, if it is a counterfeit, what difference does the precise composition make? More middle eastern counterfeits from the 1950's and 60's have the right amount of gold. The alloying material was not considered important.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.