Home Precious Metals
Options

Did not buy SAE rolls at $340ish low earlier this year

carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
Could be wrong. But I think the USD is king. Stronger dollar guts PM rally at some point in the next 6 months and I can buy SAE rolls at $325 trigger price.

Crazy talk?

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    A lot of people have been buying the bottom for several years now. Me too.
    COA
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so sure that Silver will reach your goal. I do agree that PM's, as of now, appear to be tied in with oil & the US $. Dollar goes down & oil up= increase in PM's...The reverse has, as of late, also been the norm. I have no idea when PM's will uncouple themselves from that scenario.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dollar is putting in its rebound now off recent lows. Might make it back to 97-98 before end of summer. Good chance it just put in a 7-1/2 yr top from the 2008 bottom. Next step would be heading down to a 3 year bottom which have come like clock work for many years. Last one was in 2014. I'd figure on a multi-year low by around mid-2017. That will give PM's a 1 year window to continue to rebound towards their 5 year resistance lines.

If I were looking into an entry into silver I'd consider this June as the best window we might see for a while. Rather than watching the dollar for silver's movement's, I'd watch gold and the dollar pairs which correlate much better than the USDX (ie USD/JPY, USD/AUD, and USD/CAD). The USDX is somewhat poorly correlated to silver and gold (ie 50-70%). I'd rather have the 80-95% correlations provided by those others.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    $325 a roll would equate to $14ish/oz. Don't think it will get that low this year or next.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a roll in '09 for about $200. Bought a roll in 2011 for about $900. Bought a roll in 2015 for about $ 400..
    The key is to know when to sell them, not buy them. Or ... how to stack them.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Longer term, I have to think this is still a pretty good price. Shorter term, silver looks like it wants the $14s, after the $16s breakout level was breached on the downside.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Bought a roll in '09 for about $200. Bought a roll in 2011 for about $900. Bought a roll in 2015 for about $ 400..

The key is to know when to sell them, not buy them. Or ... how to stack them.

If you're still sitting on $900 a roll ASEs [unless they're 1996s] you'd probably have to buy about 5 MBs at $2.19 over to DCA them in and come out unscathed.

2500 @ $18.19 = $45,475 + $900 gives you $46,375 so your average cost for your 126 rolls would be $368.05. It's just as impotent to buy right as it is to sell right.
  • Options
    It's just as impotent to buy right as it is to sell right.

You're correct...it's "impotent" to buy ASE's....I'm guilty of falling into the trap.image
  • Options
    I'm seeing rolls for $400. Which, to me, signals a move higher, not lower. Sold a really nice '96 for $100, recently. That's just ONE out of a roll. Now that would make a roll $2000.
    I remember when I couldn't get $40 for one of them. Guys said "that's too high". Now I have no more in inventory.

AND HOW is this comparing apples to oranges working out ? Blanket statements on rolls makes me money, but it doesn't always work this way. Win some, lose some.

Is it just bullion or are they coins ?
  • Options

I'm seeing rolls for $400. Which, to me, signals a move higher, not lower. Sold a really nice '96 for $100, recently. That's just ONE out of a roll. Now that would make a roll $2000.

I remember when I couldn't get $40 for one of them. Guys said "that's too high". Now I have no more in inventory.

AND HOW is this comparing apples to oranges working out ? Blanket statements on rolls makes me money, but it doesn't always work this way. Win some, lose some.

Is it just bullion or are they coins ?

How does bullion coins sound?image
  • Options

With a ring image

... when dropped individually.

• Options

With a ring image

... when dropped individually.

Speakin a ring!

ring ring

allo

ello, is this 476- eleven eleven?

no, this is 476-1111

sorry to have bothered you

that's ok, I had to get up to answer the phone anyway.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be wrong. But I think the USD is king. Stronger dollar guts PM rally at some point in the next 6 months and I can buy SAE rolls at $325 trigger price.

Crazy talk?

No, not crazy. However, there isn't a bona fide link between interest rates and the fiat currencies anymore because all of the currencies are being devalued.

This sometimes gives the illusion that the dollar is strong, and it promotes gross mismanagement of the economy by the politicians.

In this environment, I think that the biggest mistake people can make is to ignore the fact that there isn't a strong connection the time value of money and all of the fiat currencies.

When that connection becomes important at some point in the future, the time value of money will re-assert itself and the issuers of most paper currencies will have a hard time justifying their existence.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52

Crazy talk?

No, not crazy. However, there isn't a bona fide link between interest rates and the fiat currencies anymore because all of the currencies are being devalued.

This sometimes gives the illusion that the dollar is strong, and it promotes gross mismanagement of the economy by the politicians.

In this environment, I think that the biggest mistake people can make is to ignore the fact that there isn't a strong connection the time value of money and all of the fiat currencies.

When that connection becomes important at some point in the future, the time value of money will re-assert itself and the issuers of most paper currencies will have a hard time justifying their existence.

All I can say, "don't hold your breath" waiting for that to happen. But you're mindset is in good company with all the "doomsday preppers." I'm not one of them.
  • Options
    But you're mindset is in good company with all the "doomsday preppers." I'm not one of them.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    But you're mindset is in good company with all the "doomsday preppers." I'm not one of them.

The biggest mistake that some people make, is to follow all the internet b.s. about "fiat" currency being the root of all evil and it's imminent demise.
  • Options
    The biggest mistake that some people make, is to follow all the internet b.s. about "fiat" currency being the root of all evil and it's imminent demise.

lol. who do you trust more - the Fed, Wall Street or the politicians? I'm sure that they're all looking out for you!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Bought a roll in 2011 for about $900.

Make sure to sell it when you sell some other stuff in which you have significant gains.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: carew4me

Crazy talk?

Definitely not crazy talk but I must disagree. I don't think we will see rolls at $325. The crash happened and the market stalled. I think it's starting to heal and will continue to rise but at a slower pace.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where can I get these rolls at that price now?
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.