Home Precious Metals
Options

New (to me) auction site

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
wants your credit card information just for placing a bid

I just think it's odd that the auction site itself does not collect your payment information. The way it's set up is each seller asks for your payment information before they'll allow you to bid.

Would you be willing to provide credit card/banking information to a private citizen just to be able to bid? I know all that can be hacked and gotten anyway if wanted by someone badly enough, but to openly give it to a private citizen is not something I'm willing to do, just to be able to bid.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Nice and convenient for that business to keep them clear of the money problems.
    COA
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Interesting site POM.
    I share your hesitation.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This site appears to be associated with major auction houses..i/e Sotherby's. To "rich" for my blood.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under no circumstances would I use such a site.... that is just begging to be ripped off.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    oh, and another thing I forgot to mention, there's a BUYERS fee of 19%. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and there pictures S...
  • Options
    Upfront payment information seems a little extreme but I assume this is just their way of protecting the seller from abandoned sells? With eBay there's no way to actually force a payment (or even https://www.coinmp.com) so they use this to ensure the seller gets paid. I get it but personally, I wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any criteria that would prevent a potential bidder from using a pre-paid card that has a minimal amount loaded into the account ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com