Home Precious Metals

Creative Marketing Minds at Work

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
Link to eBay

Just when I thought I'd seen just about everything...
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    NGC Signs Exclusive Agreement with Major League Baseball

NFL, obscure European soccer teams, eformula1, latest Mountain Dew flavor next...market, market, market.

Sooner or later, ya paint yourself into a corner doing this stuff. MHO
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Why? I wonder why, but there's always a doofus willing to pay double the value of something just because it has a logo of their favorite team. I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan and they can label a coin from every year they've won the world series and I still won't buy it if it's overpriced for its real value.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really??? Wow.... I guess it appeals to label collectors and sports fans... Cheers, RickO
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Too bad it wasn't colorized too...

I showed my friend the 87 proof I just bought for $32, and he said his was better and worth more because it had a design (colorized).
    Shows that there is an audience for everything. Like cash having value because people think it does at a certain point in time.

Still waiting for A Genuine Silver Plated dollar coin fashioned from the US Silver American Eagle,
    from TV and mag ads. (plated with full 47 milligrams of pure silver).
    COA
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    This extremely rare American Silver Eagle, a precious metal that some experts have predicted will reach $500 per ounce, will come emblazoned with a sticker of your favorite MLB tea. You have to act fast because we only have 100 of each team, that's right, only one hundred of each team has been commissioned and produced from the Mint of America Federal Exchange Mint. We are selling, no, GIVING, these away today for the very low price...Bob, are you seated because this price will stun you....only 3 payments of $39.99!!! That's right folks, these are going to go fast, in fact the phones have lit up like crazy after announcing the price. Get that call in, folks, because you are about to rob us blind if you're one of the fortunate few to score one of these rarities.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They appear to be taking this a little too far. image
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BBN

This extremely rare American Silver Eagle, a precious metal that some experts have predicted will reach $500 per ounce, will come emblazoned with a sticker of your favorite MLB tea. You have to act fast because we only have 100 of each team, that's right, only one hundred of each team has been commissioned and produced from the Mint of America Federal Exchange Mint. We are selling, no, GIVING, these away today for the very low price...Bob, are you seated because this price will stun you....only 3 payments of $39.99!!! That's right folks, these are going to go fast, in fact the phones have lit up like crazy after announcing the price. Get that call in, folks, because you are about to rob us blind if you're one of the fortunate few to score one of these rarities.

Sounds like a script straight from the Coin Vault LOL
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL!

I remember where it all began, the late night TV UHF Channel, 'The Great TV Auction Show.'(also on local cable then)

1982, the 'barker' wore an microphone around his neck, like a harmonica holder.

He had an Hispanic looking assistant, who would glare at him incredulously as he kept lowering the price.

"I'm not going to say $99.00, NOT $79.00, etc...... To the first ten hands that go up, and the next 125 callers, $49.95!"

#5 takes one "SOLD!" #8 takes one SOLD!"

Used to stay up late and watch for the entertainment value!

Anyone else remember him?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gack!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Industry is as industry does. Commerce is the rest of the story. Look at all them race cars for details. Sponsored by affiliation and full of stickers. Some guys have all the fun.

Such is life in the big city.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay them extra NOT to put that crap on my slab label.

(Not really. But... just sayin'...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay them extra NOT to put that crap on my slab label.

DONE! Just mark the box on your next submission.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I think these would be harder to re-sell since the audience is limited.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

I think these would be harder to re-sell since the audience is limited.

Harder to re-sell, hence the significant premium...because no one wants them. You'd have to make your money at a 3 to 1 ratio hoping a sucker comes along once in awhile that actually thinks it's cool LOL