Home Precious Metals

I think it's started.........

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you think the upturn in the PM's has started?
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DoubleEagle59

Do you think the upturn in the PM's has started?

For me, it means nothing really until silver hits $17 and shows steady growth from there as stated here https://forums.collectors.com/...8610&enterthread=y

That would be a break out imo. till then, it's just price movement. I'd feel the same if it tested $13.50 again

For someone else, I'm sure there's all kinds of views and angles and theories on the subject. lol
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The downturn in confidence is official. The NH circus speaks volumes.

Numerous banking holes in the dike, FED can only hold one cork at a time.

Industrial metals and all commodities face further downside as deflation plays out. PM's secondary role as insurance is about to be tested.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who can pick the bottom ? Dollar for dollar, it's averaging about the same as it was when Nixon released the GSA hoard in '73. About fifteen bucks ?
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    POM I find your new avatar disturbing. Something too Marty Feldmanish that is so out of context with an obviously pretty face. And yes, I believe it has started.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Mesquite

POM I find your new avatar disturbing. Something too Marty Feldmanish that is so out of context with an obviously pretty face. And yes, I believe it has started.

Once again I'm being singled out (LOL). Perhaps you like this picture of her better? And yes, I still think it's just price movement till it breaks thru $17 and continues. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'd say the same if it were heading downwards to test $13.50 again.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
    Much better! Nothing Marty Feldmanish there.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm cautiously optimistic but I've seen too many false starts.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

I'm cautiously optimistic but I've seen too many false starts.

Because we've seen many.

The Fed does seem committed to taking rates modestly higher over the next year and perhaps equities will be allowed to find something closer to true valuations. If that occurs PMs should see moderate gains in the short term.

I remain extremely optimistic for the long term and hopefully optimistic that this is the start of it.

Originally posted by: derryb
    I remain extremely optimistic for the long term and hopefully optimistic that this is the start of it.

It's got a better leg to stand on since oil is practically flowing through our plumbing pipes.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    They sure put the brakes on last night and all day today 1236 -1238 every time I checked spot.

image Anyone else think it looks unrealistic?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. All kidding aside, I agree with you 100%. I have monitored metal prices on a daily basis for over 35 years and I feel warm and cozy right now. If prices hold through Wednesday, it could signal another "High-Ho" cycle. Congrats on being the first to commit and thereby butting your teet in the ringer. (wink)

Have a Great Day!

Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    $13 Silver ahead - late 2016, early 2017

Loves me some shiny!
    We might see $13 again this year but I'm inclined to think that we'll see $50 silver by the end of 2016. Not counting on it mind you, but I think a much higher number is in the cards by the end of the year.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We might see $13 again this year but I'm inclined to think that we'll see $50 silver by the end of 2016. Not counting on it mind you, but I think a much higher number is in the cards by the end of the year.

My guess, we'll be lucky to see $20 this year.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA

My guess, we'll be lucky to see $20 this year.

+1
    Really lucky

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see $20 silver in 2016. That would be nice.
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Put a silver eagle on ebay with a $20 BIN and see how long it lasts. image

• I have a long term investment horizon and I am of a differing view than many on here. I hope that we still have 2-3 years left on this downward cycle. I like being able to grab silver around $15 an ounce or lower.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    Reminds me of the joke where a guy comes home from work, plops down in front of the T.V. and shouts to his wife : "honey bring me a beer, quick, before it starts". Wife brings beer and puts it on the coffee table. He chugs it down and 5 minutes later shouts out to his wife in the kitchen, "Honey bring me a beer, quick before it starts ! ". She runs in and sets down another beer and goes back to the kitchen. Sure enough, five minutes later he shouts, "Honey, bring me a beer , quick… before it starts ! ! ! ". She brings him a third beer. Now upset, she slams it down on the table and asks : "BEFORE WHAT STARTS ? ".

He mumbles " Oh gee , it started now ".
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Put a silver eagle on ebay with a $20 BIN and see how long it lasts. image

Try placing a common silver 1 oz round on eBay for $20 ... image

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it started, but it didn't last too long. But it will.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if the upturn in metal prices has started, or if it's just that the long, grinding downturn in metals prices going on for the past 5 years has started stopping.

I've backed up the truck so many times, the tailgate is all bent and bowed and the lights are broken. Would like to sell some metal at $25 and $1500 to pay for repairs

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Baley

I don't know if the upturn in metal prices has started, or if it's just that the long, grinding downturn in metals prices going on for the past 5 years has started stopping.

I've backed up the truck so many times, the tailgate is all bent and bowed and the lights are broken. Would like to sell some metal at $25 and $1500 to pay for repairs

Haven't you been rebalancing your portfolio and adding gold/silver while prices have been declining while trimming the gains you have had in the stock portfolio? If so, I'd be shocked you would need $1500 gold to breakeven. image

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sold stock last year and added real estate and metals, as I've mentioned, "backed up the truck".

Said nothing about "breaking even", am still well ahead in all asset classes, overall, as have been doing this for a long time, even if certain specific securities and PM collectibles are off their peaks.

I mentioned a couple of higher price tiers that I consider targets to sell some (certainly not all) precious metals and lock in a decent profit on those items, sorry for the unclear use of metaphor.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Sir Baley after seeing your beautiful mountain retreat. You have little sympathy from meimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.