Home Sports Talk
Options

Arnold Palmer dies

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
RIP Arnie......mark
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    RIP Arnie......mark

+ 1 .....great guy. Him and Jack were my all time favorites.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when he played, "Woods" were actually made out of wood and I think the shafts may have just been changing to a stainless alloy. even with those limitations he could hit the ball farther than many of today's players. these guys now have the advantage of advanced conditioning, better equipment and courses that are in better shape. in a nutshell, if the guys today had to use a wooden club with a rigid shaft and a much smaller "sweet spot" hitting balls with much less compression they'd be shorter off the tee and the scores would be higher.

Arnold Palmer's legacy will live on forever as a tribute to his true greatness and superiority as a Golfer in any era.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    when he played, "Woods" were actually made out of wood and I think the shafts may have just been changing to a stainless alloy. even with those limitations he could hit the ball farther than many of today's players. these guys now have the advantage of advanced conditioning, better equipment and courses that are in better shape. in a nutshell, if the guys today had to use a wooden club with a rigid shaft and a much smaller "sweet spot" hitting balls with much less compression they'd be shorter off the tee and the scores would be higher.

Arnold Palmer's legacy will live on forever as a tribute to his true greatness and superiority as a Golfer in any era.

Arnie, Jack and Gary would have beat the pants off Tiger as this new bunch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

Ah, the ole persimmon woods. I was taught golf on a set of these woods. They were tough to hit especially since I learned on a right handed set and I'm a lefty

Anyone who has a drink named after him kind of says it all

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting golf clubs is a terrific way to appreciate how the game has changed over time

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palmer was great competitor and sportsman. Great to watch. Sad that he is gone...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked his commentary in the booth during his televised tournaments. I will miss his,until recently,yearly ceremonial tee offs at the Masters, ushering in the tournament. A fond farewell to you Mr. Palmer.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The essence of pure class.

RIP Arnie. You left the world a better place.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite possibly the best ambassador any sport has ever seen. Thursday mornings on #1 at Augusta have always been the epitome of joyousness, but next April it's going to be somewhat somber.

A classy tweet from Chris Paul:

• Options