Home Sports Talk
Options

I learned something new today

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the Clemson- South Carolina State game the coaches agreed at halftime to reduce the 3rd and 4th quarter to 12 minutes each. Didn't realize you could do that.

mark
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the score lopsided or what?

I have seen games where it would be merciful if you could throw in the towel like boxing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Was the score lopsided or what?

I have seen games where it would be merciful if you could throw in the towel like boxing.

45-0 at halftime

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I was surprised and did not know about it either.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    why schedule that game if your Clemson???
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I think they turned off the gas as it was a backyard game

m
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: baseballfan

Can't say why Clemson would. More likely state politics. But SC State would schedule Clemson for the money. In these cases the big school gives the small school a bunch of
    money for the privilege of getting their butts kicked.
    In the case of North Dakota State and Iowa Iowa gave them a reported $500,000.
    Iowa might want to pick an easier target next time.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dennis07

Can't say why Clemson would. More likely state politics. But SC State would schedule Clemson for the money. In these cases the big school gives the small school a bunch of

North Dakota State might have to start paying Iowa to play them

mark
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it isn't Politics as much as it is revenue sharing. when a top tier Team like Clemson plays SC State it provides money for the school and for the Athletic Department, it's good for the Alumni Association and it's good for the players not to mention the fans. I expect that no one really thinks the top Team is going to lose but it is good Public Relations even though the games are lopsided.

FWIW, most Teams do it with an in-state school. Ohio State played Bowling Green this year, I think it was Toledo last year. typically they play their first two games like this, it is a good thing all around yet they are universally scorned for doing it. as I am fond of saying, No Good Deed Shall Go Unpunished.
  • Options
    The Missouri- Delaware State game was shortened to 10 minute quarters in the second half. 79-0 final.

These games are dumb and bad for the sport

mark
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    Originally posted by: dennis07

North Dakota State might have to start paying Iowa to play them

mark