Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 Detroit tigers

1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
All I can say is my tigers are playing great I don't want to jinx them but there is something special going on here to sweep Boston in Boston to sweep the Astros and this win tonight after getting Martinez back and him hitting the game winner all the pieces are starting to come together I am. Not sure if we have enough pitching but this sure is fun to watch only 2 behind Cleveland now goooo Tigers ........

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to believe that they are only two games out. Best record in baseball since May 15. I'm cautiously optimistic. Not on the bandwagon but save room for me.

With Verlander's win tonight he moves to 27-4 in Inter League play. Amazing. Most wins by any pitcher the past 10 years.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detroit has been hot lately, really hot!!!

it is amazing in MLB the way different Teams can be so troublesome to certain Teams while they seemingly dominate the rest of the League. what has helped Detroit close on the Indians is part of that on both sides of the equation. despite playing the way they are right now, I think the Tigers are something like 1-13 against the Indians who can't seem to beat the last place Twins, going something like 5-9 against them.

looking back about 4-5 years ago when Detroit was in the WS and had several really good years the Indians had a season where they probably had as good a record as Detroit except ---- they were something like 6-24 against Detroit, Boston and the Yankees. how does that happen?? it can't be a talent thing, it has to be psychological. just like this year with Detroit vs. Cleveland and Cleveland vs. Minnesota.

the Twins, BTW, have done the same thing against the Texas Rangers. they suck against the rest of Baseball but seem to beat those two Teams at will.

back to Detroit and Cleveland, it should be interesting and if it plays out like it has been the schedule maker should get a bonus --- seven of the last 14 games will be played between the two Teams, three in Cleveland and four in Detroit. it simply doesn't get any better than that!!!
  • Options
    Yah, the Tigers are 1-11 vs Cleveland and 60-38 against the rest of baseball. Yikes

markq
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Indians and Tigers both playing in the Central for a good part of what's left this year. it should be a nice finish but as things have gone thus far it tilts in the direction of Cleveland, even with their poor attendance --- better at home, better on the road, better in the Central and, well, just dominant against Detroit. I really don't expect the latter to hold to form but if the two Teams play .500 vs. each other there isn't much Detroit can do to close the gap. certainly five game leads can and do vanish but nothing so far this season has shown it'll happen with these two.

how healthy are the Tigers??? I doubt Cleveland will get any help from Brantley this year and they are relatively healthy aside from him and Yan Gomes who might return. either Team might grab someone if they can clear waivers and help but I think the key will be when rosters expand and we get a look at which Farm System can give some help. I'm not real familiar with the Detroit's younger players but Cleveland has two rookies and another guy, Jose Ramirez, that are playing really well for how green they are. I expect the vets like Napoli to keep them focused and calm, the same thing Victor and Miggy can do with Detroit.

the last 10 days of September should be a blast!!!
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    Hard to believe that they are only two games out. Best record in baseball since May 15. I'm cautiously optimistic. Not on the bandwagon but save room for me.

With Verlander's win tonight he moves to 27-4 in Inter League play. Amazing. Most wins by any pitcher the past 10 years.

mark

Way to jinx the Tigers, Mark! Nicely played.
    The Royals have just beat them two straight and the overweight, slovenly Tigers
    have scored a total of 2 runs.
    A lot of cheeseburgers will be consumed in the Tiger clubhouse after this latest loss.

Royals will finish second, Tigers are toast, with the Indians pitching its tough
    to see them go on a long losing streak.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Nice stretch Ace. Yah, I didn't start the thread nor did at say I was on their bandwagon. This Unlike the guy who started the boastful Royals thread who had them in the World Series in May. Do you get a prize for finishing second in a crappy division?

I know the Royals have had their share of injuries but Detroit played without the hottest hitter on the planet ( Cabrera) injured and their starting third baseman, shortstop and center fielder on the DL. It is what it is. I can live with it. I'm not that invested.

Baseball is funny as the Tigers outscored the best team in the AL 9-0 in their previous two games at Texas only to lose 2 at home to an average team in KC. Baseball, go figure.

mark
  • Options
    Do you get a prize for finishing second in a crappy division?

No, you only get prizes for winning two straight AL pennants and a world series.

If the Royals stay hot they could actually get in the wild card race.
    And if not, lots of optimism for next year. Duffy is turning into an ace, Raul Mondesi
    is our second baseman of the future, and probably the best we've had since Frank White.
    Still have a nice core of young, talented ballplayers.

Sorry about the demise of the Tigers, this will be their last chance as Miggy and Victor are too
    fat and injury prone, and Upton is following in their footsteps. He really looked bloated and out of shape tonight.
    Verlander likewise is finished, but can rest comfortably in the ample bosom of his girlfriend.
    Too put it plainly, the Tigers just aren't motivated enough and don't work hard enough to win.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    What's with your weight fetish? Something you want to tell us? You are making me nervous.

KC' s window is a lot smaller then you think it is.

mark
  • Options
    Darin you are often wrong on so many things but this one you really pooped the bed on.

Verlander over the past year

And oh he has only gotten better in the last month since this article. Your misplaced hatred is kind of creepy.

mark
  • Options
    How about Miggy? For him a bit of a down year ( for most a career year) for him but he is still having a year no Royal ever sniffs at .311/27/77/.550/.932

Since you only seem to know how average works let me know if you need the rest of the numbers explained to you.

It fact in your life time you have never seen a hitter better then Cabbie and he is still elite and he is still going. The fastest player ever to 1500 rbi's, 400 HR's and a .320 plus career average. I think only Ruth, Foxx, Gehrig and Williams is on that list. Hate on but it only makes you look more spiteful and less about reality.

mark
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Two words-Mookie Betts!
  • Options
    Mark what do you mean KC's window is a lot smaller than I think?

Haven't they already capitalized, being in two straight world series and winning last year?
    I guess being a Tiger fan you're used to never having the ultimate dream realized.

Verlander has gotten better? The Royals hit three bombs against him, for Mondesi
    it was his first career home run. Hosmer's was a 443 ft. blast to center.

With all those individual stats you threw out, you would think the Tigers would have
    won a few world series during Miggy's tenure. How many have they won?
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    the Tigers are suffering from what are the leveling factors in all sports, age and injuries. they often run hand-in-hand with players being more injury prone as they get older.

injuries happen to every Team and if your Team is lucky they can have players who fill in. the Indians got some bad news yesterday when Michael Brantley underwent shoulder surgery and will start a recovery for next year. they lost Juan Uribe earlier with, of all things, a hard shot in the balls that probably ended his career. their #2 starter, Danny Salazar has been on the DL for a few weeks with a tender arm. they lost Carlos Santana for a few games when a foul ball cracked him in the head while he was in the dugout. Yan Gomes went down with a shoulder injury when he reached first at the same time as the First Baseman and he was bumped.

Baseball may seem like the least physical of our major sports, but that small, hard, spherical object that sometimes travels in excess of 100mph changes everything!!!

Cleveland has overcome their adversity well. a rookie, Tyler Naquin, has filled in for Brantley. another young player, Jose Ramirez, was playing so well that he had posed the Indians with a nice problem --- where to play him since he needed to be in the lineup everyday. with Uribe gone he has played very, very well at third base without missing a step at the plate. Santana going down forced Napoli to play more(isn't that nice!!!) and they had just picked up Guyer at the deadline, how convenient. Gomes has been replaced with the tried and true platoon system which many Teams use anyway. meanwhile, the Indians picked up Miller to help the back end of the 'pen and the rest of the staff has choked it down while Salazar heals

as I like to say, I'd take good luck over mediocre skill every time. and Mark, I don't really think the Division is as crappy as you think.
  • Options
    I hear ya keets. Some germs of truth to be sure. Listen, the Tigers have dominated this division this decade. I can tell you they wouldn't have won the last 4 of 5 division titles if they played in a different divison. I don't think Cleveland would be leading their divison if they played in the east or the west either.

I'm lucky that my hometown plays all four major sports as baseball is my least favorite. Its dying slowly but surely. I'm not invested at all. If Cleveland wins this year it will make me smile. I'm rooting for you this year just like I rooted for KC last year as they suffered mightily for years. If they Tigers don't ever win another WS in my lifetime I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I already have seen them win two World Series when I cared more. Once as a young kid and once as a young man. I was lucky enough to attend both

Series.

mark
  • Options
    the only defense I will put forth about the "different division" is that I believe Teams are built to a certain degree for the competition they face, the four Teams they'll play 18 times each year. a saying I use often is that "If one thing was different, nothing would be the same" and that applies to this. if Detroit, Cleveland or KC were in a different Division they would probably be built a bit different. to that end Cleveland has chased Chicago, Detroit and now KC for the past 15 years, each for a period of time and then the next would be there. I think the rise of the Royals surprised the Indians front office. they had no answer the past two seasons for their youth and Bullpen. Detroit never surprised us, they were just too good for us to beat which makes this year a surprise.

of the three Teams I would expect Cleveland and KC to be at the top of the Division for the next few years. both are built on starting pitching and youth.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be surprised if they don't run the table from here out . . .
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

I wondering if that was a retort to Darin's predictions or if he really meant it.

Either way it's very funny!

mark

• Options
    yeah, right!!! the term "run the table" in Baseball equates to not losing for the rest of the season, like that will happen. the Indians did close last year with a 10 game streak, but playing KC and the Tigers down the stretch sort of means that won't happen for any of the three Teams. given the schedule for the last two weeks of the season I think it's safe to say whoever is out front around September 15 th will be the Central Champ.
  • Options
    Another gritty win today it's amazing how all these teams in the wild card and all so close to each other you could literally go from winning the division right now to being out of the wild card between all these teams I think this great for baseball....goo tigers ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Darin

Sorry about the demise of the Tigers, this will be their last chance as Miggy and Victor are too

fat and injury prone, and Upton is following in their footsteps. He really looked bloated and out of shape tonight.

Verlander likewise is finished, but can rest comfortably in the ample bosom of his girlfriend.

Too put it plainly, the Tigers just aren't motivated enough and don't work hard enough to win.

I don't know how you do it but your gift is magical! Upton has hit 8 homers in the last 14 games after your diatribe. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he hit two bombs and 5 rbi's to help beat the Royals in two one run games?

Velander is leading the AL in WHIP while battling Archer for the strike out crown. Sounds washed up to me.....and he still gets to nuzzle those breastizes....

Keep up the good work. Good luck to the Royals the rest of the way. I'm sure you are correct about the Royals passing the Tigers and I'll just enjoy it while I can. You can say I told you so.

When Justin Upton keeps winning you games

• Options
  • Options
    help beat the Royals in two one run games...........................Good luck to the Royals the rest of the way

things may change, but these two snippets say a lot about the two Teams mentioned.

--- Detroit --- it bodes very well for them that they are winning so many one run games, there are stats about that. it may not be a good thing going forward and it can be argued that with things switched the Tigers would be trailing KC, but right now it speaks about Team character and the Manager.

--- KC --- I'm not sure what's wrong with the Royals but they have the appearance of a Team that's finished. they haven't "started packing" yet, but they sure look like they know they're done. injuries have played their part, but if they haven't been able to overcome that I wonder what the Front Office is doing and why they get no help from the Farm System.