Home Sports Talk

Ohio State picked top football program of all-time

garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, being ranked #1 during the season 105 times and only winning 5 championships is great.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh brother, where art thou Woodford Hayes.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter
    Yeah, being ranked #1 during the season 105 times and only winning 5 championships is great.

5 AP championships. 8 overall.

Some of Alabama's recent championships were not deserved. Like the year when they got a undeserved rematch with LSU.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now boys, let's not start this already. there will be plenty of time in the months to come to argue about who is the best and why some Team sucks. as far as gauging what the Greatest College Football program might be, I think basing it on NCAA Championships is a poor way. maybe Alabama or LSU has won more of them than OSU, but what was going on during the years when they weren't winning them?? it's a tricky topic to navigate and one that should probably include ND even though so many loathe that school.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting list.

Fun reading, thanks.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was a tad surprised to see my Dawgs at 15 honestly. I'll take it though, WOOF!
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    now boys, let's not start this already. there will be plenty of time in the months to come to argue about who is the best and why some Team sucks. as far as gauging what the Greatest College Football program might be, I think basing it on NCAA Championships is a poor way. maybe Alabama or LSU has won more of them than OSU, but what was going on during the years when they weren't winning them?? it's a tricky topic to navigate and one that should probably include ND even though so many loathe that school.

Yes sir, I just thought we could get in 2 or 3 preseason arguments...image Kinda get ready for the regular season.

Garnett, those stats go back to 1936. Reckon there was any northern media bias? I know there was in 1966. The teams involved were Notre Dame vs Michigan State and Bama vs Nebraska.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems there are sports writers that need to appreciate the history of the game and how it developed. A more compelling approach would be to recognize the dominance of programs such as Army and MInnesota in the pre 1945 time frame.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

hey 'kat, you beat me to the punch with Army. they may be insignificant now but were a power in days gone by. maybe that is what drives the rankings in the Poll. without having looked at it to know who the top Teams are, I will only say that the likes of Notre Dame, Michigan, OSU and Alabama seem to have been "relevant" for a long time now.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting list. I saw a revised list by collegefootballnews. They changed the scoring a little bit which I agree with. Basically in the original list, they awarded a team in the top 25 at the start of the season the same amount of points as a team that finished in the top 3 at the end of the season. Basically it is discrediting late season accomplishments. It doesn't matter if a team starts the year ranked 10th if they finish the season unranked and with a losing record. So the new list by collegefootballnews awards more points to teams finishing the season ranked higher. Team No.1 would get 25 points, No.2 24 points, No.3 23 points, etc. We all know it matters where you finish, not where you start.

LINK
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranking based on preseason polls is obviously ridiculous, so this is a big improvement. They would do better still by awarding more than a 1 point difference between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. Ask any team, coach or fan what the difference is between finishing third and fourth and they'll say "meh, not much". Ask them the difference between second and third and they'll say it's bigger; second means you had a shot at the title. Ask them the difference between finishing first or second and they'll say it's huge. I don't see how any list of the greatest programs "of all time" doesn't have Notre Dame and Alabama in the top two spots (in either order), and it probably required a great deal of thought and planning to find a way to create a list where that didn't happen. They probably discarded dozens of such lists before they finally got the result that they wanted.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: orioles93
    Interesting list. I saw a revised list by collegefootballnews. They changed the scoring a little bit which I agree with. Basically in the original list, they awarded a team in the top 25 at the start of the season the same amount of points as a team that finished in the top 3 at the end of the season. Basically it is discrediting late season accomplishments. It doesn't matter if a team starts the year ranked 10th if they finish the season unranked and with a losing record. So the new list by collegefootballnews awards more points to teams finishing the season ranked higher. Team No.1 would get 25 points, No.2 24 points, No.3 23 points, etc. We all know it matters where you finish, not where you start.

LINK

Eh, I guess anyone can make up their own lists with their own methods. The only list that matters is the AP poll.

How about take off 25 points for every 6(or more) loss seasons. The fact remains is that Ohio State has been the most consistent team in the last 8 decades. Notre Dame hasn't really been all that relevant in the last quarter century.

Garnettstyle

There was a lot of football played before 1936 which was the first year for the AP poll. So it is simply not possible for this to be an All-Time list and it is beyond disingenuous to suggest that it is.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I just feel lucky to live in a country that has a place as incredible as THE Ohio State.

All other places pale in comparison in all ways; academics, sports, life, all.

Even the weather is better in Columbus. I saw a poll the other day about that. Sure UCLA and USC were a close second on the year round weather poll but Ohio State was #1.

O-HI-O! Woooo whoooooooooo!!!!!
    my step daughter just started MedSchool at OSU so I should be taking the three hour trip down from NEOhio during the upcoming years. as much as anything else, there's this Mexican Restaurant about five miles off the campus that I want to get to, just great food and ambience.

are we really only a week away from College Football??

• PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    are we really only a week away from College Football??

Its just a "false start" though. Only one game (and on Friday no less). We still have two weeks before we get a full slate.
    Keets - Hope your step daughter does well in Med School

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larryallen73
    I just feel lucky to live in a country that has a place as incredible as THE Ohio State.

Absolutely correct.

All other places pale in comparison in all ways; academics, sports, life, all.

Again, right on the money.

Even the weather is better in Columbus. I saw a poll the other day about that. Sure UCLA and USC were a close second on the year round weather poll but Ohio State was #1.

Must disagree. Weather probably a bit better in S. California and Hawaii.

O-HI-O! Woooo whoooooooooo!!!!!

That's O-H-I-O

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph