Home Sports Talk
Options

Billy Butler vs. Chris Giminez, a classic!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Missed the game and saw some replays showing the "discussion" these guys had. In the end, Butler won the argument and the Indians won the game.

To summarize if you missed it like me --- with the count at 1-2 Josh Tomlin appeared to ring Butler up with a pitch on the outside corner at the knees, only to have it called ball two, and the jaws started to flap!!!! Butler works the count full and then absolutely crushes a 440 foot bomb, flips his bat and hollers over his shoulder to Giminez as he slowly rounds the bases with the catcher and Umpire waiting at the dish.

Words are exchanged, benches are warned and the game returns to normal.

Oh, to be a fly on wall to hear what was really said between the two!!! My hunch is that Giminez said something to the Ump about the missed strike call, Butler responded and then we were off between the two. If you watch the video of the start, as he's stepping away from the plate Butler sort of waves the knob of the bat towards the catcher, then when he steps back in Giminez says something and the two almost squared off with the Ump stepping between them.

How the whole thing makes me long for the old days of baseball --- 20 years ago, after that altercation, Tomlin would have sat Butler down, he'd have charged the mound with the benches emptying and the Umpires would have had to sort things out. High drama for sure.

Baseball has been pussified and changed forever. The youth of today don't understand what the sport is really like and they are cheated because of that.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Keets, it was classic old school for sure. The announcers were also mentioning that Tomlin may have been quick pitching Butler as well and he didn't like that either. I believe Butler's bomb was measured at 446 feet. Then the Tribe's next at bat Almonte hits a bomb and the Indians' home telecast crew measured it at 446.5 feet. I think to make fun that it was farther than Butler's. It was a bomb and I don't think they measure half feet! I do agree with you that baseball has evolved to a much friendlier game as well.

Now turn to today with the trade for Andrew Miller and how that bolsters the Indians bullpen back end. Then Lecroy vetoes his trade with the Indians. He wanted Cleveland to guarantee him starting and dropping his second year on his contract so he can become a free agent after this year. Not many in the baseball world understand his thinking and when the Indians players were asked about Lecroy they said if he doesn't want to be a part of this playoff chase then they don't really want him. I for one don't understand it either, but he does have that right since he has the no trade clause in his contract. We are to August and the Tribe are in the thick of a playoff chase. Nice to be a Cleveland sports fan right now and it will be fun battling a hot Detroit team the rest of the way. We shall see. Go Tribe!
  • Options
    I had been talking with a friend at work about how the Indians and Tito were "auditioning" pitchers for the long relief and 7th inning slots, never expecting them to chase and sign Miller!! he sure makes things look better. as far as Lucroy, I still believe there's an outside chance they'll sign him. he would look nice batting 4 or 5 in the order.
  • Options
    I agree on getting Lecroy. I wonder if it does happen how the clubhouse would take it? Don't think they are done just yet. Free agency frenzie indeed!
  • Options
    if what you reported is true I think the Team would just accept him..........................gladly. the guys are all pro's and I haven't heard anything negative about Lucroy to suggest he's a problem and I'm sure Francona will address that stuff if/when he needs to. if you saw yesterdays post-game interview with Naquin it told much of what the clubhouse mood is. if Albert Bell showed up, pulled his weight and wasn't a distraction they would welcome him. these guys know what's going on, what they have a chance to do and they're all pretty hungry. several have been to The Show already, they want to go back and know what it takes. I'm sure those guys will take control if/when Lucroy shows up.

we still have about eight hours and both Teams are playing tonight.
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Thanks for the update on the Giminez - Butler thing, Keets. I was at the game in section 409, so I had no idea what was going on.

Regarding Lucroy, I hope he was just trying to negotiate and play an angle but now that he's overplayed his hand he'll admit the bluff and accept the trade. To take the poker analogy further, there are 4 cards to a flush and 4 cards to a straight on the board and Lucroy is holding a pair of 2s which completes neither. He made a bluff raise hoping for a fold (can't fault him for that), but the Indians re-raised him all in.

We will know by 4PM. If he doesn't accept he can no longer spin this fable:

Lucroy had told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this offseason that he wanted to play for a contender.

"I want to win and I don't see us winning in the foreseeable future. I want to go to a World Series. That's what all players want. Rebuilding is not a lot of fun for any veteran guy," he said.

Source: ESPN

• Options
    I want to win and I don't see us winning in the foreseeable future. I want to go to a World Series.

thinking about it, he may have hurt himself.

Teams will generally accommodate a player who wants to go to The Show or at least be involved in the playoffs. with Lucroy stopping a trade which would have helped the Brewers in the long term he may be sold outright to a Team that won't make the playoffs, one without the no-trade clause. that would rob him of his "want to win" hope and lock him into the contract year he doesn't like.

player's careers are to short and nothing is guaranteed. by blocking this deal it is certainly probable that he has lost an opportunity that may not present itself again.
  • Options
    So he goes to Texas with Beltran. Oh well. I'll take our pitching just like the Braves did against us in the '95 series. Good pitching beats good hitting most of the time. Now let's get Brantley back. He'd help if healthy.
  • Options
    so he tried to force a re-negotiation of his contract and failed, then went to a different Team??? that doesn't make sense unless he either has something personal against Cleveland and/or the Indians organization or he thinks Texas has a better chance in the playoffs. I wish him luck with that.
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Did you guys think that the Rangers needed pitching help more than lineup help? I did. I'm just glad they weren't able to make a deal for Sale.