Home Sports Talk

Intentional Walk

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
I hope that MLB does not go to an intentional walk/pass where they just put the batter on first. To much can happen when the pitcher actually has to pitch 4 pitches to a batter. How many time have we seen the pitch get away from the catcher or the ball wonders close to the plate and the batter ends up with a hit. BTW how many HR's have been hit this way?

It would also screw up the stats. image Would the pitcher and batter now have two different kinds of walks in their stats? Would the pitcher be charged 4 additional pitches on his pitch count even though he didn't throw them.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if mlb would keep batters in the box for an at bat instead of letting them step out

after each pitch it would decrease game time enough for the intentional walk to stay as it is.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Patiently waiting for the intentional strikeout for pitchers who don't want to burn energy in the box or on the base paths.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with craig44 on keeping the batter in the batters box and calling timeout for them to often especially when the pitcher is in his windup and has to alter his delivery when time is called.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many time have we seen the pitch get away from the catcher or the ball wonders close to the plate and the batter ends up with a hit.

maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have never seen either happen.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    How many time have we seen the pitch get away from the catcher or the ball wonders close to the plate and the batter ends up with a hit.

maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have never seen either happen.

Me neither. I think it's a good idea to shave a little time off a game (very little - there's less than 1 intentional walk per game). If they really want to speed up the game: less commercials. They'll never do it though due to the almighty dollah.

I have my own way of speeding up games: Record on DVR and start about an hour in. Skip all commercials, intentional walks, pitching changes, pep talks on the mound, constant throwing to first with a speedy runner on, etc. Two hour game.
    Daniel
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never wanted games to speed up, it's Baseball for God's sake!!!
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Was watching a game years ago....

Johnny Bench was up 3-2 count

Mgr gives a signal. Catcher stands up and puts his arm straight out to the side (this is the way at least they called for an intentional walk)

Pitcher does a half ars windup slowly. At the last minute catcher drops down and ball goes down the middle for a called 3rd strike.

Bench caught totally by surprise..

Never saw this play since.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jay0791
    Was watching a game years ago....

Johnny Bench was up 3-2 count

Mgr gives a signal. Catcher stands up and puts his arm straight out to the side (this is the way at least they called for an intentional walk)

Pitcher does a half ars windup slowly. At the last minute catcher drops down and ball goes down the middle for a called 3rd strike.

Bench caught totally by surprise..

Never saw this play since.

I remember that very well. It was in the World Series against the A's.