Home Sports Talk

Why such a big deal over Ichiro's hit mark?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yes, it is a nice accomplishment, but 1200 of those hits came in Japan. There are some people who are acting like he is the new hit king. Should we add roses minor league stats to his total? I wonder how many hits julio franco had if you include Mexico and all the other leagues he played in. I think people need to pump the brakes a bit here. The Japanese league is not major league quality and Ichiro is not the new hit king.

Rant off

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even realize anything was being made over it. I'm certainly not going to fawn over a guy who slaps singles to the opposite field for a living. Not that impressed with him period. Very few situations he could actually hurt you badly.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why this is even being discussed. I think a majority of real baseball fans wouldnt have even knew about this stat if it werent brought up. Id bet Ichiro himself would say he's not the MLB hit king. YAWN.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just the media pushing a narrative to generate ratings. No one, not even the guys writing "Ichiro is the new hit king" articles, actually believes he's the new hit king.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He may not be the hit king. He may not have the hit record in the MLB. But it is still a lot of hits, whether he got them in the MLB or Japan. It's an impressive accomplishment either way, He's a much better hitter and overall player than many already in the hall of fame. I think a lot of people give him a lot of crap for being a singles hitter, but who here wouldn't take a guy on their team who hits .320+ avg. with 220+ hits, 40+ steals, etc.???? He was one of the greatest contact hitters of all time, in an era where home runs were all the rage. Singles are not a bad thing, and he was a master at putting the ball in play and making things happen with his legs. I just think Ichiro deserves more credit than he gets for being a great hitter.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ichiro has been a good singles hitter, but his lack of walks and almost no power really limits his effectiveness. as a hitter, very one dimensional and limited. Over 10000 plate appearances and only 600 walks. 3000 mlb hits is very impressive, but he is not the hit king.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: orioles93
    He's a much better hitter and overall player than many already in the hall of fame.

Name those "many" players. Yeah, he's better than Jim Rice and Highpockets Kelly, but he's only better than people who have no business being in the HOF, and only some of those. He'll make the HOF, and just add to the list of people with no business being there; he's not even close to deserving.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    I agree Dallas. He is not a better hitter than "many" already in the hall. I would like to see a list of those many players. He was a very limited offensive player. Had a great arm though, for what it's worth.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a much better hitter and overall player than many already in the hall of fame.

that's laughable.

his entire "Game" is slapping the ball to left field as he starts out of the batters box towards first. there have been times when I bet he had already planted his right foot when he's made contact with the ball, very one dimensional and not really much of a threat, though he gets hyped quite a bit.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    1. Ichiro has more professional hits
    2. Pete Rose should've retired after 1983
    3. Ichiro did it in 1,500 fewer at bats
    4. Pete Rose cheated
    5. Pitching is more competitive now than it was in the 1970's
    6. Ichiro had to compete in the steroid era

Pete Rose can be the "Hit King" of the MLB, but Ichiro is the "Hit King" of all baseball.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
    Originally posted by: JHS5120

For what it's worth, no he doesn't. He has more professional hits than Rose had major league hits, but Rose was also paid to hit in the minors and is still several hundred "professional" hits ahead of Ichiro.

Originally posted by: dallasactuary

For what it's worth, no he doesn't. He has more professional hits than Rose had major league hits, but Rose was also paid to hit in the minors and is still several hundred "professional" hits ahead of Ichiro.

Hits at the highest professional level then. Either way, considering Ichiro's minor league hit total (and another couple seasons in the MLB), Ichiro will have more hits regardless.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Hits at the highest professional level then. Either way, considering Ichiro's minor league hit total (and another couple seasons in the MLB), Ichiro will have more hits regardless.

I don't think it's a given. He still could be ~300 behind. Do you know how many minor league hits Ichiro had in Japan?
    Originally posted by: keets

that's laughable.

his entire "Game" is slapping the ball to left field as he starts out of the batters box towards first. there have been times when I bet he had already planted his right foot when he's made contact with the ball, very one dimensional and not really much of a threat, though he gets hyped quite a bit.

Production is production. It doesn't really matter how he did it. He was feared enough at the plate to lead the league in IBBs three times. And he had 9.1 WAR in a season - Roberto Clemente never did that.
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2
    Production is production. It doesn't really matter how he did it. He was feared enough at the plate to lead the league in IBBs three times. And he had 9.1 WAR in a season - Roberto Clemente never did that.

Production is production? Singles are as good as homers? What do you mean? Offensive production is a combination of getting on base, hitting for power and speed. Offensively, Ichiro has been in the top 10 in WAR three times - 5th, 7th and 9th. Compare that to Toby Harrah, who was in the top 10 of offensive WAR 5 times - 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 10th. Ichiro did have one great season where, including defense, he got 9.1 WAR; it was a great season no matter how you slice it, but it wasn't as great as Rico Petrocelli's 1969 season or Norm Cash's 1961 season, so one great season does not a Hall of Famer make. Ichiro's top 5 WAR is a little better than Toby Harrah's and a little worse than Bobby Grich's. We could have a good debate on whether Ichiro was better than Harrah for his career, but you'd embarrass yourself if you tried to argue that Ichiro was better than Grich; he wasn't close.

I have never seen intentional walks used as an argument for greatness, and I'm not sure how to respond. I note that he never had half as many IBB as the MLB leader, and that a big part of the reason he had so many IBB is the same reason he has so many hits - he came to bat more than anyone else. He only led the AL once in IBB per plate appearance. I will further note that if your argument on behalf of Ichiro depends in any part on his having drawn 15 intentional walks in 678 plate appearances, then I can almost taste the desperation.

• not a Hall of Famer??? that's ridiculous. 10 All Star Games, 1 MVP, 1 ROY, 10 Gold Gloves, 3 Silver Sluggers, led the league in hits 7 times, led the league in average twice, holds the MLB record for most hits in a season (with 2 more top 20 overall), will have over 3000 hits and average over 200 hits per season, even with his injury plagued and recent decline. Had he started in the MLB even 5 years earlier, he'd be beating down Rose's hit total, no doubt.

Maybe he was a one-dimensional hitter, but he had a rocket for an arm, played good defense, and was a team leader and a pioneer for Japanese players. Just because he doesn't fit into a certain mold, doesnt count him out.

Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

Originally posted by: wilkiebaby11
    not a Hall of Famer??? that's ridiculous. 10 All Star Games, 1 MVP, 1 ROY, 10 Gold Gloves, 3 Silver Sluggers, led the league in hits 7 times, led the league in average twice, holds the MLB record for most hits in a season (with 2 more top 20 overall), will have over 3000 hits and average over 200 hits per season, even with his injury plagued and recent decline. Had he started in the MLB even 5 years earlier, he'd be beating down Rose's hit total, no doubt.

Maybe he was a one-dimensional hitter, but he had a rocket for an arm, played good defense, and was a team leader and a pioneer for Japanese players. Just because he doesn't fit into a certain mold, doesnt count him out.

A big +1

Besides, the guy did it all during the most competitive decade in baseball history.
    My eBay Store =)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's likely to get into the HOF on the first ballot based on his popularity and hit totals, but I can't think of a player in the HOF with a lower career OPS+ than Ichiro's 108, and that's as an OF to boot.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Production is production? Singles are as good as homers? What do you mean?

Really? I was probably about 3 years old when I knew a HR was better than a single.

Here's what I mean by production is production...

9.1 WAR is 9.1 WAR. Any team would love to have a player with 9.1 WAR no matter how it is accomplished. eg. a singles hitter with 9.1 WAR is the same as a HR hitter with 9.1 WAR.

Offensive production is a combination of getting on base, hitting for power and speed. Offensively, Ichiro has been in the top 10 in WAR three times - 5th, 7th and 9th. Compare that to Toby Harrah, who was in the top 10 of offensive WAR 5 times - 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 10th. Ichiro did have one great season where, including defense, he got 9.1 WAR; it was a great season no matter how you slice it, but it wasn't as great as Rico Petrocelli's 1969 season or Norm Cash's 1961 season, so one great season does not a Hall of Famer make. Ichiro's top 5 WAR is a little better than Toby Harrah's and a little worse than Bobby Grich's. We could have a good debate on whether Ichiro was better than Harrah for his career, but you'd embarrass yourself if you tried to argue that Ichiro was better than Grich; he wasn't close.

I don't know why you wasted your time typing that. I didn't even compare Ichiro to those guys.

I have never seen intentional walks used as an argument for greatness, and I'm not sure how to respond.

Did I say that IBBs made him great??? Read, dude.

I was responding to this: "his entire "Game" is slapping the ball to left field as he starts out of the batters box towards first. there have been times when I bet he had already planted his right foot when he's made contact with the ball, very one dimensional and not really much of a threat".

A leadoff hitter that leads the league in IBBs is certainly a threat.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will get an argument from the Ichiro crowd, but his first nine seasons were little more than Minor League appearances. you simply can't equate playing over in Japan as playing in the US, no matter how hard you try to defend that point. also, I don't think anyone in the thread is trying to argue that he isn't a good player or even a very good one who had some really great seasons.
    Originally posted by: grote15

He's likely to get into the HOF on the first ballot based on his popularity and hit totals, but I can't think of a player in the HOF with a lower career OPS+ than Ichiro's 108

There are ~24 such players.

Phil Rizzuto, Nellie Fox, Ozzie Smith, Lloyd Waner, Brooks Robinson, etc.
    I will get an argument from the Ichiro crowd, but his first nine seasons were little more than Minor League appearances. you simply can't equate playing over in Japan as playing in the US, no matter how hard you try to defend that point. also, I don't think anyone in the thread is trying to argue that he isn't a good player or even a very good one who had some really great seasons.

It's the best league in Asia and has had MLB caliber players since at least the 1960's. The league has weakened ever since it opened up to the US, but I would argue that the level of competition in Japan in the early 90's, pre integration, was incredibly strong.

Not that it's any significant indication, but Japan has historically dominated both the Olympics and World Baseball Classic over the years.

Ichiro saw a slight decline against US pitchers, but overall had his best seasons in the United States.
    My eBay Store =)

I will get an argument from the Ichiro crowd, but his first nine seasons were little more than Minor League appearances. you simply can't equate playing over in Japan as playing in the US, no matter how hard you try to defend that point.

I'm not aware of a single person that thinks that Japan = MLB

He's likely to get into the HOF on the first ballot based on his popularity and hit totals, but I can't think of a player in the HOF with a lower career OPS+ than Ichiro's 108, and that's as an OF to boot.

Brooks Robinson was a first ballot hall of famer and he had a career ops+ of 104.

Brooks Robinson had a career hit line of .267/.322/.401

Ichiro has a career hit line of .314/.356/.405

Ichiro has 504 stolen bases, Brooks had 28

Ichiro had 10 consecutive gold gloves, Brooks had 16

Ichiro missed six years of his prime, Brooks missed none.
    My eBay Store =)

Brooks Robinson was also an infielder and arguably the greatest fielding 3B of all time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Also, there are many journeymen players from MLB who became slugging stars in Japan. See Tuffy Rhodes and Wladimir Balentien. The level of play in Japan is not on the same level as MLB.

Also, there are many journeymen players from MLB who became slugging stars in Japan. See Tuffy Rhodes and Wladimir Balentien. The level of play in Japan is not on the same level as MLB.

100% true.

I've been to several games in Japan. The fans are great. The players are ok. The pitching is way sub par after you get past the #1 starter.

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    People talk about the years lost to playing in Japan and how many hits he lost. Well, sorry, he didn't play mlb in those years and didn't get those hits. The ones he did get were in an inferior league and don't count towards the record. I wonder how many hits pete would have gotten had he played that many years in Japan instead of mlb? It really doesn't matter because it didn't happen. What did happen is that rose got 4256 in mlb, and ichiro will end up a little north of 3000.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not give Ichiro credit for hits made before he played in MLB.

There IS something I want to comment on as far as the criticism of him not walking. This question is for the Baseball guys, the stat worshipers won't understand.

Why on earth would any pitcher with ANY control walk Ichiro? For much of his career walking him ends up with him on 2nd base without much effort on Ichiro's part. Even if you pitch him right down the middle he's most likely only going to get a single (again, good chance he ends up on 2nd) or a double (there's second base again). If you put the ball over the plate, two thirds of the time he's going to make an out. As a pitcher, I would hate Ichiro, but I would make him earn his way on.

I think this scenario makes a CERTAIN amount of sense. I really don't care much for Ichiro, but I only like guys with at least a little power. He deserves the HOF in my opinion, great hitter for average, great baserunner, great arm.

Mickey Mantle was quoted after seeing Pete Rose; "If I hit like that I'd wear a skirt!"
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say what you will about those pesky singles hitters, but I'm sure that the HR hitters/RBI machines that follow them are glad they are on base when they unload their HRs. A HR w/o base runners, like those single machines provide, equate to less runs scored and RBI totals for those RBI machines. How else would HR hitters pad their RBI totals w/o those pesky singles hitters.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY

Say what you will about those pesky singles hitters, but I'm sure that the HR hitters/RBI machines that follow them are glad they are on base when they unload their HRs. A HR w/o base runners, like those single machines provide, equate to less runs scored and RBI totals for those RBI machines. How else would HR hitters pad their RBI totals w/o those pesky singles hitters.

Table setters are important. Just not as important as the heavy lifters

mark

Of course that is true, but some players in MLB have greatly improved their numbers even though they stayed in MLB. Take a look at Jose Bautista's career. His numbers look as if he started playing in Japan in 2010. His career WAR before that season was 0.0. Then he put up 6.9 and 8.1 in back to back years.

Who is to say that Rhodes and Balentien didn't just greatly improve like Jose Bautista did? Or perhaps Rhodes and Balentien were on steroids(?). I read that Rhodes went from 175 lbs to 220, which is similar to Bonds.

Also, David Ortiz, Paul Molitor, Brady Anderson.

Originally posted by: JoeBanzai

There IS something I want to comment on as far as the criticism of him not walking. This question is for the Baseball guys, the stat worshipers won't understand.

Why on earth would any pitcher with ANY control walk Ichiro? For much of his career walking him ends up with him on 2nd base without much effort on Ichiro's part.

Well, they normally wouldn't want to walk him. But if there's a runner on 2nd, or 2nd/3rd, then things are different.

You're overstating how often he would steal. He had 4662 SB opportunities (on 1st or 2nd with next base open) in his career, and has 504 SBs. He has 393 steals of 2nd, and 94 CS. So, it wasn't exactly a sure "double" if you walked him.

Of course that is true, but some players in MLB have greatly improved their numbers even though they stayed in MLB. Take a look at Jose Bautista's career. His numbers look as if he started playing in Japan in 2010. His career WAR before that season was 0.0. Then he put up 6.9 and 8.1 in back to back years.

Who is to say that Rhodes and Balentien didn't just greatly improve like Jose Bautista did? Or perhaps Rhodes and Balentien were on steroids(?). I read that Rhodes went from 175 lbs to 220, which is similar to Bonds.

Hey, if you want to assert that the talent level in Japanese baseball is on par with MLB, go right ahead. But looking back at one of your earlier posts in this very thread, I don't think you believe that.

Hey, if you want to assert that the talent level in Japanese baseball is on par with MLB, go right ahead. But looking back at one of your earlier posts in this very thread, I don't think you believe that.

Sigh. I already said they're not on the same level.

Jose Bautista's numbers went from below average to way above average and he didn't change leagues. Tuffy Rhodes changed leagues, but maybe his numbers improved because of multiples factors. More inferior league (15%), improvement as a player (50%), and (35%) use of steroids(?). Maybe something like that - one can only guess. If you think Japan is far worse than MLB, then how come Ichiro didn't get far worse when he moved to MLB? Heck, his 2nd highest BA ever came in MLB.

The problem is that ichiro wasn't even a great table setter. His career obp is .357

Very pedestrian. Harmon killebrew has a .19 advantage over ichiro in that department. Ichiro was a one trick pony offensively, and his one trick wasn't that impressive. He just accumulated a lot of at bats and swung away.

Did anyone have a more ugly swing than ichiro?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rose IS and will ALWAYS be the ALLTIME hit leader!
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Rose IS and will ALWAYS be the ALLTIME hit leader!

Finally, I agree with Dimeman, lol..

And mlbfan, you wouldn't have to sigh so much if you didn't keep contradicting yourself. I don't think you even realize it but just like to take an opposing viewpoint.

Maybe this happened, maybe that happened...add it all up and it's a lot of maybes to twist the facts to support your assertions and speculations. It is entertaining to wonder, though, lol..

I keep contradicting myself.

Fixed.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to the remark that pitching is better now than back then.......tell that to the hitters that faced Bob Gibson and such!

I keep contradicting myself.

Fixed.

Like I said, entertaining, lol..

Grote15, go fetch me the key to the batter's box, and a box of a dozen curveballs.

Grote15, go fetch me the key to the batter's box, and a box of a dozen curveballs.

PSA 6

Chaz

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why on earth would any pitcher with ANY control walk Ichiro? For much of his career walking him ends up with him on 2nd base without much effort on Ichiro's part.

Well, they normally wouldn't want to walk him. But if there's a runner on 2nd, or 2nd/3rd, then things are different.

You're overstating how often he would steal. He had 4662 SB opportunities (on 1st or 2nd with next base open) in his career, and has 504 SBs. He has 393 steals of 2nd, and 94 CS. So, it wasn't exactly a sure "double" if you walked him.

As a pitcher, I'm going to want to throw him strikes. It's not about how often he stole second base, it's the thinking that he is a very good base stealer and if I walk him, he could end up on second, so why not just pitch it over the plate and hope he hits it to a fielder?

It's also about having a fast runner on base, a guy who will end up in scoring position more often than most because of his speed. I am also considering his going from first to third on a single and even scoring from first on a double.

That doesn't change a whole lot with men on base because when most other players get a hit it's more likely to be a "real" hit and not some dinky bloop into left field which is not much better than a walk (except with a man on third, of course).

Generally speaking, the way I would pitch to him is not to waste my pitches trying to "nibble" just throw it over the plate and let him hit it.

My point is that it's hard to walk a lot if the pitchers aren't pitching you carefully, so it MIGHT not have been that possible for him to walk much more. It's easy to look at his stats and say "he didn't walk enough" and I am sure he could have been a little better, but to assume he could have walked significantly more often may not be realistic.

P.S. Comparing his OB% to that of any slugger doesn't prove much. Again, as a pitcher I am going to try MUCH harder to keep Ichiro off the basepaths than a guy like Killebrew who has much less speed and poorer batters coming up behind him in the order. Besides the fact that a slugger will be much more likely to hit a home run.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Joe, I don't think that rational holds up. Look at wade boggs. Mostly a singles hitter with some doubles power. Yet he managed a .415 oba. Similar hitters, but boggs had much better strike zone control. There is a skill set to drawing walks. Most pitchers, even in mlb, don't have quite the pinpoint control you are talking about either. Many pitchers rely on speed, movement and batters going outside of the zone. The key for hitters is having good zone control, fouling off strike they can't drive, hitting mistakes and laying off balls outside the zone. Because of ichiros traditionally poor swing mechanics, he couldn't let pitches get deep into the zone before starting his swing. He was often already starting toward first as the ball entered the zone, so he was starting at a disadvantage and couldn't have good zone control. thus it often seemed he was flailing at the ball and didn't take a lot of pitches. If he had less movement when batting, he could have watched the ball further into the zone and been able to lay off bad pitches and gotten more walks. There is a reason you don't see more batters who swing like ichiro, because it makes a difficult action(hiting) even more difficult

P.S. Comparing his OB% to that of any slugger doesn't prove much.

Fair enough, let's compare him to other leadoff hitters. I won't compare him to leadoff hitters in the HOF since that would be cruel to Ichiro, but to some not in the HOF.

Ichiro
    OBP .357
    SLG .405
    SB% 81%
    WAR/162 4.02

Raines
    OBP .385
    SLG .425
    SB% 85%
    WAR/162 4.47

Lofton
    OBP .372
    SLG .423
    SB% 80%
    WAR/162 5.25

Knoblauch
    OBP .378
    SLG .406
    SB% 78%
    WAR/162 4.43

Raines beats Ichiro at everything; he wasn't a great fielder but he was such a better hitter that it doesn't matter. Ichiro nips Lofton by 1% in SB%, but Lofton was just as good a fielder and a much better hitter. Ichiro beat Knoblauch by a few points in SB%, but Knoblauch, as a Gold Glove infielder, had more fielding value than Ichiro and was also a better hitter. Bottom line, Tim Raines, Kenny Lofton and Chuck Knoblauch were better baseball players than Ichiro. If you disagree, you're wrong. If you agree and are instead arguing that the HOF line needs to be lowered to accommodate players like Ichiro then just say that and we can stop talking about Ichiro. If you want him in the HOF for being a Japanese trailblazer, fine, say that. If you want him in the HOF because he accumulated 3,000 hits (or soon will) then say that. But the people arguing that he's a HOFer because he was just so damn good at baseball that he deserves it on the merits just need to stop.

The argument for Ichiro making the HOF is most similar to Lou Brock's. Neither Brock nor Ichiro were great hitters, but they got 3,000 hits and were very famous. I have a personal bias towards Brock having grown up worshiping the man, but I will readily admit that he is among the worst players in the HOF. I thought he deserved induction because when he retired he was the best ever at something, held records that people cared about, and was a World Series hero. He is also the nicest man you will ever meet. Weak as it is, that's his case. He, like Ichiro, was not nearly a good enough hitter to merit induction on those terms; he, much like Bill Mazeroski, deserved induction for reasons other than his playing value to his teams. He did things worth honoring, and the HOF agreed. Has Ichiro done things worth honoring? I can see the case, and won't object at all if people make the case that he has, as long as "he was a great hitter" is left out of those arguments because it's simply not true. Ichiro was not a great hitter; any argument he has for the HOF must be made along the same lines as Brock and Mazeroski or it's just a silly argument.
    P.S. Comparing his OB% to that of any slugger doesn't prove much.

Fair enough, let's compare him to other leadoff hitters. I won't compare him to leadoff hitters in the HOF since that would be cruel to Ichiro, but to some not in the HOF.

Ichiro
    OBP .357
    SLG .405
    SB% 81%
    WAR/162 4.02

Raines
    OBP .385
    SLG .425
    SB% 85%
    WAR/162 4.47

Lofton
    OBP .372
    SLG .423
    SB% 80%
    WAR/162 5.25

Knoblauch
    OBP .378
    SLG .406
    SB% 78%
    WAR/162 4.43

Okay, here are their numbers when normalizing age:

Ichiro (27-42)
    OBP .357
    SLG .405
    SB% 81%
    WAR/162 4.3

Raines (27-42)
    OBP .378
    SLG .408
    SB% 80%
    WAR/162 4.2

Lofton (27-42)
    OBP .371
    SLG .431
    SB% 80%
    WAR/162 4.2

Knoblauch (27-33)
    OBP .377
    SLG .413
    SB% 79%
    WAR/162 3.9

Ichiro has a higher WAR and higher SB% than all three of those players. There is no question he was a better lead off hitter.

Also, Ichiro had one of the best ten year spans any lead off hitter has ever had in history:

2001-2010 (10 years)
    Ichiro (27-36)
    BA .331
    OBP .376
    SLG .430
    SB% 81.3%
    OPS+ 117
    WAR/162 5.4

10 All-Star Appearances
    10 Gold Gloves

My eBay Store =)

Originally posted by: craig44

Because of ichiros traditionally poor swing mechanics, he couldn't let pitches get deep into the zone before starting his swing. He was often already starting toward first as the ball entered the zone, so he was starting at a disadvantage and couldn't have good zone control. thus it often seemed he was flailing at the ball and didn't take a lot of pitches. If he had less movement when batting, he could have watched the ball further into the zone and been able to lay off bad pitches and gotten more walks. There is a reason you don't see more batters who swing like ichiro, because it makes a difficult action(hiting) even more difficult

Apparently you would deduct style points, if baseball was like gymnastics.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why people want to make a big thing that Ichiro combined hits are more than Pete Roses. His hits came in two different leagues. How many more hits would Rose have if we added all of his minor league and play off hits. I guess we could add his high school and little league hits it the stats people wanted to play that game. It's the MLB hits that count towards the record. I can't recall any of the Negro league hits and records wanting to be combined.