Home Sports Talk

NBA Finals - the rematch

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
Welp, the NBA got what it wanted, but I'm not sure the path to the Finals could have been any more different for these two teams.

Hope the Cavs are prepared, because the Division I-AA portion of their schedule is now over. No mitigating circumstances for LBJ this time around. His key cogs are back, they're collectively playing at a high level, and I'm not sure they would be more rested if they had gone to the Bahamas for the past 6 weeks. Here's a golden opportunity for him to wipe off about 10 coats of tarnish by beating the league's best team and bringing a long-awaited championship to his old stomping grounds.

As for the Warriors, can it get any tougher than what they just went through? When you've accomplished something that only 9 other teams have in 232 tries, it sorta feels like the eye of the storm just passed. You've gotta believe that they'll wake up this morning feeling like they have a new lease on life.

Had OKC sealed the deal, I would have picked them to best the Cavs. So by virtue of an unsound application of transitive property, I've got the Dubs taking it down. And I think the Association will be handed another Christmas gift in June: It's going to go the full 7.

If you're a fan of 3s, I'd highly recommend watching; they're going to be raining down in this series like they're going out of style.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like GS in 7

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    I am rooting for Cleveland to finally get a WINNER.

they deserve it after all these years

cavs in 6
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    They will be mopping testosterone puddles from the floor like overflow from the Cuyahoga.

GS in 7.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warriors in 7 since they have home court advantage. Game 7 comes down to the last shot. Curry is guarded by LeBron on the perimeter. Curry shakes and bakes, freezes LeBron and hits a step back jumper that barely clears LeBron ' s outstretched hand. Swish. Game over.

Oh the drama.
  • mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I didn't think GS would even make it past OKC, but now they have dug out of that hole, I think they are primed to win it all.

I also agree about getting ready to see a lot of 3's. The NBA is getting closer and closer to H-O-R-S-E and further away from the days of dumping it down to a big man on the low post....
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    The NBA is happy. I think Warriors in 6.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I also agree about getting ready to see a lot of 3's. The NBA is getting closer and closer to H-O-R-S-E and further away from the days of dumping it down to a big man on the low post....

In the game of H-O-R-S-E, there are no defenders. What Curry and Thompson do to get open for threes is sometimes just as impressive as hitting the shots. If anything, the game is becoming more skillful due to a select number of players who can really shoot the ball. There's no guarantee that players coming into the league in the next 5-10 years will be able to do the same.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take the warriors. This is a huge series for Lebrons legacy though. His record in the finals is pretty dismal at 2-4 I believe. And the two he won, he had to jump ship, go to another stars team, and lure a third star in order to win his two titles. Can you imagine bird, magic or Michael jumping ship to another stars team to win a title?? I can't. He needs this one.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Originally posted by: PSASAP

In the game of H-O-R-S-E, there are no defenders. What Curry and Thompson do to get open for threes is sometimes just as impressive as hitting the shots. If anything, the game is becoming more skillful due to a select number of players who can really shoot the ball. There's no guarantee that players coming into the league in the next 5-10 years will be able to do the same.

It's getting more like H-O-R-S-E because that is a game where the best (usually long-range) shooter wins. Forget about defense, boxing out, rebounding, passing, etc......players are getting more skillful at shooting 3's though.
    I'd agree with you if all the Warriors did was shoot the ball. But if you've ever watched them in action, they're the best passing team in the league, and their D held OKC to only 88 points in game #7. The teams that threw the ball into the low post and played the isolation game did so because that worked for them. That style is so boring, and it's a relief not to have to watch it.
    Originally posted by: PSASAP

I'd agree with you if all the Warriors did was shoot the ball. But if you've ever watched them in action, they're the best passing team in the league, and their D held OKC to only 88 points in game #7. The teams that threw the ball into the low post and played the isolation game did so because that worked for them. That style is so boring, and it's a relief not to have to watch it.

I agree, isolation down low by itself is boring (although having to defend down low leads to more fastbreaks), but I wish they hadn't gone so far in the other direction. What they call fouls or 'flagrant' fouls now is pretty restrictive, and it makes it go more and more in the direction of a H-O-R-S-E game. The game today is all about shooting 3's and getting back on defense (killing fastbreaks). The Warriers are not a great defensive team, or great rebounding team, or a great transition team......they are a great shooting team.
    No doubt the Warriors can shoot the lights out.

However, there is more to the Warriors than great shooters.

To say the Warriors are not a great defensive team is no accurate. If you measure defense only by the points allowed per game, that would be misleading.

The Warriors play hardnosed defense and have repeatedly (this year and last year) shown that when they need to get defensive stops they can and do quite frequently. Watch many of the games this year when the Warriors play the best teams and the best players. On a regular basis the Warriors can lock down the opposing teams offense. They do this by making stops, getting steals, forcing bad shots by the opposing team (like in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter in game 6 in OKC).

The appealing thing about the Warriors is that every player on the team has bought into the team concept. They all have big egos but they set their egos aside for the benefit of the team. Every player is overjoyed when other players on the team get in the game and play well. It is apparent from watching the bench during a game. Everyone on the bench is fully engaged, animated and supportive of the 5 players on the court. The team gets production and contribution almost every player on the roster. This team depth and the fact that it appears that the player genuinely like being around each other does pay dividends. I have been fortunate to be able to have attended some Warrior home games the past two seasons and watching the team play the game and interact with each other in person really gets the point across that GSW is on a magical run. If GSW does win the title this year and beats Cleveland when it is at full strength, the detractors of the team will see the foundation of their arguments against GSW erode. If they win the title this year I wounder what the team will do as an encore in 2016-2017?

Conversely if Cleveland wins the title (which it could very likely do) then GSW would be more likely to be viewed as an aberration.

It's up to other teams to adapt to the current half-court, live-by-the-3 style of play, and they haven't done it yet. I give GS credit : they are the best team right now, with the best individual 3 pt shooter of all time.
    The best TWO, no?

The 3-point run-and-gun style wasn't just introduced. The old Denver Nuggets played a lot of memorable games. Dennis Scott and Ray Allen were draining bombs long ago, to help offset the strengths of playoff opponents.

Then, of course, there was Robert Horry, the Forefather of the Buzzer Beating Downtown Dagger.

GS does it better than anyone. They've identified their best option to win and exploit it like no team ever has. If any other team in the league could do it consistently, they would. Is it no mystery why Cleveland has become much more dependent on 3-pointers lately?
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    As I heard Jim Rome say today "this really isn't a rematch."
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked Golden State in 7, but I do give Cleveland a puncher's chance. Here's why.

LeBron James is going to be on a mission in this series. He knows that although he's 2-4 in the Finals, prevailing over a 73-9 Warriors team would single-handedly alter his legacy in the best possible way. Therefore, I fully expect him to attack the rim with reckless abandon from the moment the ball goes up in the air tomorrow night. Trust me, he witnessed the success the "good" Russell Westbrook had when he turned on the jets against the Warriors' D, and he will attempt to do much of the same, I assure you.

When he does this, the guy facing him is going to be Andre Iguodala more often than not. Remember him? The Finals MVP? Well, the "other" AI is still the unsung hero on that roster as far as I'm concerned, because the dude can really defend. If you don't think so, go back and look at the end of G7 against the Thunder when he stripped Durant in what was a very critical play that no one talked about.

With that said, he's still going to need help against King James. I don't care who you are, you can't completely nullify 6'8", 250. So when that locomotive relentlessly barrels toward the basket, the inevitable double team will come and one of two things will happen: either LeBron is going to spend an inordinate amount of time at the charity stripe, or the ball is going to be in transit with the final destination being the other side of the arc. When the latter happens, what is the supporting cast going to do? Will they continue to put the ball in the hole at a very high clip? If they do, it will make for an interesting series. If they don't, hellooo 2-5.

Even if you own a decided advantage in the paint and on the boards against Golden State, you have to be able to hang with them from 3. Just ask OKC.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is apparent from watching the bench during a game. Everyone on the bench is fully engaged, animated and supportive of the 5 players on the court.

this was not apparent during games three and four unless I was watching a different game, the entire Team looked sad and uninspired. the tribute is that they fought through that, made it home and beat a weaker Team. it speaks very well of their character, but to be honest, they embarrassed themselves with the way they moped, especially during game four. then the excuses/rumors started about Curry being "70%" on the cable shows and internet. again, it attests to the Team character that they never bought into it, they just fought on.

of course I am a Cavs fan and believe the Warriors have the edge, but only by benefit of their four home games. the Teams are much closer than many will admit. the Cavs have a definite rebound advantage and the Warriors have a deeper bench. the Warriors have Curry and Thompson to knock down 3's, the Cavs also have 4-5 guys shooting over 40% right now from the arc and they have Lebron. with all that said it won't surprise me if the Warriors win in seven games, that's what I said in my other thread.

I reserve the right to amend that prediction after game three. image

does anyone know who the announcers will be?? I hope and pray that it will not be Marv Albert, he just annoys the hell out of me. and one thing about OKC not being involved, we won't have to hear about how "their length" is bothering the opponent. image honestly, there must be another way to phrase that!!
    Finals are on ABC, so you should get used to guys speaking ESPNish.
    I think and hope we get Mike Breen, Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy. Tricio is gone right? He and Hubie Brooks were the B team

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do sort of enjoy Van Gundy, he reminds me of the forum!
    Keets.

I am a fan of basketball. I live in the Bay Area and thus also like the Warriors (even when they were lousy).

I would like to see GSW win a 7 game series. 7 games because I enjoy watching the game.

I have no idea which team will win. Cleveland is healthy and playing great. James is unmatched in talent for the positions he plays. The best player in the game for his entire career. Cleveland may win the title.

GSW is also a great team. Curry is phenomenal and is headed to a hall of fame career. GSW may also win the title.

I am quite pleased that the two teams are playing for the title. Enjoy watching game 1 tonight.
    If you knew that Cleveland's trilogy of terror would put up 66 points and Thompson and Curry would score 9 & 11 points respectively and Cleveland would get to the line 10 more times then the Warriors how much would you of thought Cleveland won by?

Instead it was a Golden State blow out.

mark
    The Warriors played excellent defense tonight and the Warriors' bench was magnificent.

On to game 2.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bench was great last night. When curry and Thompson shoot better, it will be really tough on the Cavs. That bench is just so deep.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SanctionII
    No doubt the Warriors can shoot the lights out.

However, there is more to the Warriors than great shooters.

To say the Warriors are not a great defensive team is no accurate. If you measure defense only by the points allowed per game, that would be misleading.

The Warriors play hardnosed defense and have repeatedly (this year and last year) shown that when they need to get defensive stops they can and do quite frequently. Watch many of the games this year when the Warriors play the best teams and the best players. On a regular basis the Warriors can lock down the opposing teams offense. They do this by making stops, getting steals, forcing bad shots by the opposing team (like in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter in game 6 in OKC).

The appealing thing about the Warriors is that every player on the team has bought into the team concept. They all have big egos but they set their egos aside for the benefit of the team. Every player is overjoyed when other players on the team get in the game and play well. It is apparent from watching the bench during a game. Everyone on the bench is fully engaged, animated and supportive of the 5 players on the court. The team gets production and contribution almost every player on the roster. This team depth and the fact that it appears that the player genuinely like being around each other does pay dividends. I have been fortunate to be able to have attended some Warrior home games the past two seasons and watching the team play the game and interact with each other in person really gets the point across that GSW is on a magical run. If GSW does win the title this year and beats Cleveland when it is at full strength, the detractors of the team will see the foundation of their arguments against GSW erode. If they win the title this year I wounder what the team will do as an encore in 2016-2017?

Conversely if Cleveland wins the title (which it could very likely do) then GSW would be more likely to be viewed as an aberration.

I agree......GSW are more than just 3 point shooters.

This should be a good series. The Cavs should be worried that they got blown out in Game 1 and the Slash boys didn't even have great games.....everyone scored for them. They look tuff!!

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Cleveland's cakewalk through the Eastern Conference has thus far left them ill prepared for a truly talented team. They just aren't quick enough on defense to compensate with how well GS moves the ball and spreads the floor. The guys without the ball move well, and because the Cavs have to respect their shooting, that's often leaving guys wide open under the basket for easy layups. Golden State has also turned up the defensive intensity, which is huge. But one thing I have really noticed is that they aren't getting killed on the boards. That was a huge deficiency against OKC.

I think so far we can stop with "the Cavs were missing Kyrie and Love last year." Both are great players, but that hasn't made a bit of difference. Last year Tristan Thompson had his way on the glass - GS had no answer for that. This year he hasn't been a factor. JR Smith and Dellly played out of their minds - this year they aren't. Just heard Stephen A say that in two games Smith has shot the ball a total of nine times, making three. He's their starting shooting guard! And what's up with LeBron? He's like a shrinking violet out there. I have always had this feeling in the back of my mind that he plays soft, and he did nothing tonight to dispel that notion. He doesn't attack the basket, he doesn't demand the ball, he doesn't seem to have that drive, that killer instinct. I don't see the Hardens, Westbrooks and Durants of the world playing like that. I definitely don't see Curry playing like that.

Obviously everything can change back in Cleveland. They're not just going to lay down. Don't think it's gong to change the final outcome, though.

Last thing: the Love injury tonight was unfortunate. Should have been a foul called against Harrison Barnes.
    The Warriors lost nine games in an 82-game reg season. Cleveland now has to find a way beat them four straight or four out of the next five. There you go.

Golden State has far too much firepower. In a way, I feel for LBJ. I think he's a genuinely decent guy and a good ambassador for the NBA, so it kinda sucks to see him halfway to his fifth Finals loss. But let's face it, outside of Irving & Love, the Cavs still don't have much.

I do think Curry & Thompson will have to put up more points in these next two games to come away with at least one victory. The road is an entirely different beast, therefore it's time for the stars to shine.
    I must have overestimated the Cavs. No way LeBron can win this thing alone. It's like a Darth Vader fighting with a toy light saber. Comical. And sad.

I'd defer to them for a better show at home. It has to happen. They can't let us down and the NBA needs a series. Look for the refs to become more aggressive towards the physicality being used by GS. They're outmuscling a presumably more muscular team. With a few knocks to the noggin. Tough Love.

Splashers will roll. But, they better figure out how to punish Draymond Green for something besides persistent babbling. His game is unstoppable.
    The outcome of game 2 is surprising. I expected a very close game and even a victory by Cleveland. It seemed that after leading 28-22 Cleveland lost its composure and had no answer for the various and multiple things GSW threw at them. The fight in Cleveland just disappeared.

I wonder if the losses in games 1 and 2 will cause Cleveland to regroup and fight in game 3, or whether they will cause Cleveland to raise the white flag.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: galaxy27
    The Warriors lost nine games in an 82-game reg season. Cleveland now has to find a way beat them four straight or four out of the next five. There you go.

Golden State has far too much firepower. In a way, I feel for LBJ. I think he's a genuinely decent guy and a good ambassador for the NBA, so it kinda sucks to see him halfway to his fifth Finals loss. But let's face it, outside of Irving & Love, the Cavs still don't have much.

I do think Curry & Thompson will have to put up more points in these next two games to come away with at least one victory. The road is an entirely different beast, therefore it's time for the stars to shine.

a genuinely decent guy? He is a tool
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

a genuinely decent guy? He is a tool

That was such an influential post by you that I officially change my mind. LeBron James is a bona fide tool and I cannot remotely imagine even a single person liking him.

Link

I didn't say no one liked him image Popular with NBA fans though is setting the bar low enough I guess .

I didn't say no one liked him image Popular with NBA fans though is setting the bar low enough I guess .

So very thankful you're around to raise it. Anything else?

So very thankful you're around to raise it. Anything else?

I always thought of him as the peyton manning of the nba , hugely talented not exactly a champion though , too many big game fails where lesser talents have won but makes Peyton look like an amateur when it comes to tossing teammates under a bus after an important loss.

He exercised control over this team like he was the owner even firing a winning coach and hand picking the new one . With everything as he desired they once again will reach the finals and not win and once again someone else will get the blame.

hugely talented not exactly a champion though

I agree with this, but that's about it. I certainly wouldn't dare touch your scathing accusations without hard evidence.

As for this particular series, his play has indeed been pedestrian by his standards. But Kyrie Irving has been worse. There's an APB out for J.R. Smith. Channing Frye can't even get into a game because the smothering GSW perimeter D has rendered him virtually useless. Love had a nice G1 but wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in G2 before he got knocked out. His most effective teammate was 35-year-old Richard Jefferson, for crying out loud.

In other words, even if he was Jordan on roids, he and the Cavs would still be two games away from elimination. Golden State is no lesser talent. Unlike Cleveland, they're oozing depth. Steph & Klay can each score less than 20 points per game and the Dubs can still obliterate the Cavaliers.

If you have a secret panacea, perhaps LeBron can get Ty Lue canned and hire you?

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I was among those that thought Cleveland would be a tough out against GSW this year. Surely having a healthy Kyrie and Love would allow them to do many of the things they couldn't last year.

But I forgot a couple of things along the way. One is the dismal (read: nonexistent) defense that Kyrie and Love play. It's impossible for the Cavs to hide those two on defense, which allows GSW to move the ball at will and find that wide-open look. How many easy layups did they have from the constant player movement, screens and back cuts? I don't know, but it seemed like it was every other possession there for a while in G2.

The other thing is how deep GSW is. Sure, Curry has great handles and is a great passer. But Livingston, Iguodala, Barbosa, Green and Klay are pretty dangerous in their own rights. Any of those guys is capable of driving the lane and either finishing on his own or kicking it out to the perimeter for a wide-open 3. Their depth creates a matchup nightmare for the Cavs. Oh, and they aren't letting Tristan Thompson dominate the glass on either end of the floor, which as I said earlier is huge.
    Another reason this series is all but over: Cleveland has no answers when Golden State employs the Death Lineup. They are absolutely, positively vaporizing the Cavs when they go small.

So what's the answer?

Stay big? Sure, do that. You'll be weaved, screened and cut to death.

Go small with LBJ as your 5? That worked out oh so well in G2. Not only did Cleveland find out that they do not have the sprinters to hang, but there was no one on the floor to score the basketball on a consistent basis.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if this turned into a sweep. 5 games max.
    Has anyone else noticed that even if Tyronn Lue stood on Steve Kerr's shoulders, combined they'd still be shorter than Timofey Mozgov?
    I wonder what line up Cleveland will start tomorrow.

I wonder what type of game plan Cleveland will employ at the start of the game and whether it will be effective.

The answers will be revealed tomorrow night.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had I seen this thread the first day I would have said GS. I still say GS as they really play team ball. If OKC would be in the finals they would beat the LBJ Cavs too.
    Cavs have better ink.
    GSW played terrible last night and Cleveland was excellent. Hope Keets was able to watch his favorite hoops team put a beat down on the Warriors. I suspect that Kevin Love will not be cleared to play in Game 4, even if he is doing well.

The Warriors will react to the loss by getting angry. They will play much better in game 4. Cleveland will play well also to even the series. I suspect game 4 will be a hard fought close game.
    I have couple of rhetorical questions, and I shall attempt to remain calm while posing them.

IS IT ASKING TOO MUCH FOR A VISITING TEAM TO GIVE A CRAP IN THIS SERIES??? HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU BLUDGEON SOMEONE BY 33 AND THEN ALLOW THEM TO ANNIHILATE YOU BY 30 THREE DAYS LATER???

That was cathartic. I feel sooo much better now.

GSW played terrible last night and Cleveland was excellent. Hope Keets was able to watch his favorite hoops team put a beat down on the Warriors. I suspect that Kevin Love will not be cleared to play in Game 4, even if he is doing well.

The Warriors will react to the loss by getting angry. They will play much better in game 4. Cleveland will play well also to even the series. I suspect game 4 will be a hard fought close game.

The Cav's might be better off without Love. I'm pretty sure they are

mark
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

The Cav's might be better off without Love. I'm pretty sure they are

mark

Love is the designated scapegoat . He didn't play last night and the Cavs won so the losses were his fault . At least thats what I'm hearing from the LBJ apologists around me. Whenever the Cavs win James gets credit for it but when they lose he is never the problem.

I've even heard the same people say if he's cleared to play game 4 they should hold him out of the game.

There has been talk in this area (Boston) that the Celtics should try to get Love but now all those people that thought it was a good plan are saying he's soft and they don't want himimage

The rabid Celts fans we call the Green Teamers all wanted Love and now he is dead to them. I'm having trouble with the logic of a guy who is a pretty decent player being more valuable out of a game than in it.

Thats not to say that basketball fans are known for being logical or that Love doesn't have issues .

The problem with Love in this series is there is no one he can guard on the Warriors. Everyone is a mismatch for him. On offense the spacing is also REALLY tough with him in the regular rotation.

mark
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see poor Cleveland get a championship.
    Lu got so out coached. I hope LB is happy

mark
    Did not surprise me to see the Warriors bounce back from a horrible game 3 performance and win game 4. The Warriors are 14-1 this year in games played after a loss.

Cleveland in the second half did not play team ball on offense like they did in game 3. James and Irving took 33 out of 38 2nd half shots. Many were forced shots over tight defense as the shot clock wound down. The Warriors played fairly well all game, including tight defense and second chance points through offensive rebounds. Curry, Thompson and Barnes shot very well from behind the 3 point line.

It is now unlikely that Cleveland wii recover yo win 3 in a row, including 2 in Oakland.
    The Warriors space the floor so well, much better than Cleveland. When they make that extra pass, they know they'll find a player open because they know which defender is out of position. It's a combination of high basketball IQ and discipline that is driving the Dubs toward another title. If they add a piece or two next year, they'll be even tougher.