Home Sports Talk

What MLB records would you like to SEE broken, and why.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
Topping the 56 game hitting streak,breaking Ted Williams BA for a single season,SO's in one season,most wins in a season by a pitcher, etc. Others?
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see Jim Rices leading the AL most seasons hitting into double plays record broken. Just to keep Dallas on his toes

Did you know that Jim Rice once grounded into 36 double plays one season? All time major league record.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The single season home run record without using steroids. 61 has been the record for over half a century.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    I'd like to see Jim Rices leading the AL most seasons hitting into double plays record broken. Just to keep Dallas on his toes

Did you know that Jim Rice once grounded into 36 double plays one season? All time major league record.

mark

The thing is, players bad enough to ground into that many double plays rarely get to play enough to break those records. I doubt any team will make that mistake again.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY

breaking Ted Williams BA for a single season

He doesn't have the record.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a pitcher win 512 games. At the rates guys pitch today, it would only take about a 40 year career factoring in decline phase.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I'd like to see a batter strike out 300 times to break the the single season record. Maybe that will wake up some people and end the no-contact era....

Mark Reynolds, Chris Davis, Kris Bryant....someone could make it happen!
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dallasactuary
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

mark

The thing is, players bad enough to ground into that many double plays rarely get to play enough to break those records. I doubt any team will make that mistake again.

Billy Butler could have broken that record, but his skills eroded so fast he
    hardly plays anymore.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mb2005
    I'd like to see a batter strike out 300 times to break the the single season record. Maybe that will wake up some people and end the no-contact era....

Mark Reynolds, Chris Davis, Kris Bryant....someone could make it happen!

Alex Gordon stuck out over 30 times in April.
    George Brett had 3 different full seasons where he struck out less than that.
    Its been brutal watching Gordons' ABs this year.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    Originally posted by: DarinBilly Butler could have broken that record, but his skills eroded so fast he hardly plays anymore.

Anyone who grounds into that many DPs never really had skills to begin with.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was so much fun watching Rickey Henderson do it, so I would love to see the single season SB record broken.
  • you can say who you pick as your favorite closer of all time, but id like to see that record be broken.

Originally posted by: DarinBilly Butler could have broken that record, but his skills eroded so fast he hardly plays anymore.

Albert Pujols led the league in GIDPs 3 times.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2

Albert Pujols led the league in GIDPs 3 times.

Albert has grounded into more dp's than Rice in the same number of years, although less at bats.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Single Season HR record, I'd love to see someone hit 74
    Speaking of records The pitching wins record is ridonculas, Cy Young with over 500 I think? Too lazy to check it but that will never be broken
    Originally posted by: perkdog
    Speaking of records The pitching wins record is ridonculas, Cy Young with over 500 I think? Too lazy to check it but that will never be broken

I think all the pitching records are safe for eternity, unless there is a seismic shift in how the game is played. Pitchers just don't pitch enough games, or enough innings in the games they pitch, to break records set by pitchers starting 40 games a year and averaging 8 innings per start. The last pitcher to start more than 40 games in a season was Phil Niekro and the last pitcher to throw for 300 innings in a season was Carlton. Hell, it's been five years since any pitcher even reached 250.

Plenty of "unbreakable" records have already been broken. With medical advances, maybe a starting pitcher would be able to pitch every other day. Or, maybe an ambidextrous knuckleballer will come along.

Plenty of "unbreakable" records have already been broken. With medical advances, maybe a starting pitcher would be able to pitch every other day. Or, maybe an ambidextrous knuckleballer will come along.

I don't recall any " Unbreakable " record being broken, the 511 wins realistically is Unbreakable.
    I don't recall any " Unbreakable " record being broken, the 511 wins realistically is Unbreakable.

Ruth's 60 HRs, Ruth's 714 HRs, Maris' 61 HRs, and Gehrig's streak were all called unbreakable.

Gehrig's monument at Yankee Stadium says his streak "should stand for all time."

Sure, 511 wins seems unbreakable now, but you don't think there's any chance that in the distant future a pitcher will be able to start every other day?
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, while were throwing in the kitchen sink...here's a record that will NEVER...EVER be broken...

Two Grand Slams in one game by a pitcher.

Tony Cloninger, pitching for the Atlana Braves, on July 3rd, 1966 against San Francisco. Final score Braves 17-3.

Ruth's 60 HRs, Ruth's 714 HRs, Maris' 61 HRs, and Gehrig's streak were all called unbreakable.
    Gehrig's monument at Yankee Stadium says his streak "should stand for all time."

Sure, 511 wins seems unbreakable now, but you don't think there's any chance that in the distant future a pitcher will be able to start every other day?

Not a chance a pitcher will ever be given the opportunity to do that, too much money are invested in these guys. Not to mention no pitcher would risk blowing out his shoulder with such a workload. Just my opinion
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct, I was in error. Nice to know my threads are being read. Belongs in a different category. However, I'd like to see that 406 broken in my lifetime. Or the 56 game hitting streak. I think each generation of fans would like to be a part of some record breaking event. To be able to say I either was alive when it happened or better yet was at the game when said records were broken. When Maris got his 61st the stadium was not even a sellout. IIRC was about 27,000+ in attendance. Always wondered why it was not a sellout in the home park.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Not a chance a pitcher will ever be given the opportunity to do that, too much money are invested in these guys. Not to mention no pitcher would risk blowing out his shoulder with such a workload. Just my opinion

In 2116, maybe "blowing out your arm" will just require minor surgery and a little recovery time, due to medical advances. Not possible?

You are correct, I was in error. Nice to know my threads are being read. Belongs in a different category. However, I'd like to see that 406 broken in my lifetime. Or the 56 game hitting streak. I think each generation of fans would like to be a part of some record breaking event. To be able to say I either was alive when it happened or better yet was at the game when said records were broken. When Maris got his 61st the stadium was not even a sellout. IIRC was about 27,000+ in attendance. Always wondered why it was not a sellout in the home park.

If it was Mantle going for 61 it would have been standing room only. More then just a few Yankees fans were rooting against Maris often.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

In 2116, maybe "blowing out your arm" will just require minor surgery and a little recovery time, due to medical advances. Not possible?

Would probably take an ambidextrous pitcher with tree stump legs

mark
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think all the pitching records are safe for eternity, unless there is a seismic shift in how the game is played. Pitchers just don't pitch enough games, or enough innings in the games they pitch, to break records set by pitchers starting 40 games a year and averaging 8 innings per start. The last pitcher to start more than 40 games in a season was Phil Niekro and the last pitcher to throw for 300 innings in a season was Carlton. Hell, it's been five years since any pitcher even reached 250.
    Whats your view on Nolan Ryans record 7 no-hitters? Hard to surpass or likely to be broken?

Ok to be fair it's " Possible" I guess, who knows what medical advances there will be down the road.

Whats your view on Nolan Ryans record 7 no-hitters? Hard to surpass or likely to be broken?

7 no hitters and 56 game hitting streak in my opinion can be broken to to the fact that any player could conceivably do it with luck. Unlikely yes
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

I just lost a lenghty response I had ready, but no. I dont think a pitcher will ever be able to throw every other day in the MLB, not unless they let robots play. And I think comapring batting to pitching is apples and oranges.

Originally posted by: skrezyna23

I just lost a lenghty response I had ready, but no. I dont think a pitcher will ever be able to throw every other day in the MLB, not unless they let robots play.

If you think a record will never be broken, there will never come a time where you are right. At least I do have a chance of being right.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I do believe records are meant to be broken but does that mean I think all of them will be? No.

I just lost a lenghty response I had ready, but no. I dont think a pitcher will ever be able to throw every other day in the MLB, not unless they let robots play.

If you think a record will never be broken, there will never come a time where you are right. At least I do have a chance of being right.

Good for you.

I do believe records are meant to be broken but does that mean I think all of them will be? No.

Your opinion has been noted.