Home Sports Talk
Options

Best baseball team of the 1980's

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I thought it might be fun to get a discussion going about who you think the best team of the 80's was. I think I would say it was the Oakland A's of 1989. They had great starting pitching, a hof closer and a great offence albeit chemically enhanced.

What do you think??

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1984 Tigers

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course the Michigan fan would say 1984 lol.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    89 Oakland had a great team for sure
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tigers did have a dominant team that year with Morris at the top of the rotation

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is painful coming from a Cardinal fan when they went to the Series 3 times during the decade and won 2 of them (yes, I count 1985 as a win - DIE, DON DENKINGER, DIE!!!!!), but the 1984 Tigers were clearly the best team of the decade.

Their best pitcher, of course, was Dan Petry, but their starting pitching, while very good, was not what made the team great. What made the team great was that they had no weaknesses: their hitting was the best in the league - they led in OPS+ and runs scored playing in a pitcher's park, their bullpen was lights out, their starting pitching was second or third best in the league behind Toronto and maybe Texas, and their defense was top 5.

The Tigers had no superstars and in all likelihood will have no HOFers. But Evans, Trammell and Whitaker were all HOF caliber players, and so was Kirk Gibson when he wasn't hurt. There was no star in the starting rotation, but neither was there any weak link. Take away Reggie Jackson, and the early 70's A's were very similar in this respect.

The Tigers had all but clinched their division by May 24th, with a record of 35-5. They went 69-53 from that point, but once the postseason arrived they swept the Royals and came within one bad pitch to Kurt Bevacqua of sweeping the Padres. If there had been some meaningful incentive to win more games in the regular season, I think they might have set the record.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    1986 Mets? Fun to watch and won their division by over 20 games.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Dallas, what I remember most about that remarkable season was after 63 games Toronto was 41-22 yet they trailed the Tigers by 6 games. They were so strong up the middle with Parrish, Lemon, Whitaker and Trammel. Their pitching while not spectatucular was deep.

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is with great humility that I can say the Red Sox of the 80s was at best...paltry. Therefore, the Red Sox can easily be eliminated from consideration in this thread.

The most painful year was of course the 1986 WS and...dare I say?...Buckner ball.

The 1989 team hit the buzz saw of the powerful Oakland A's, losing 0-4 in the ALCS.

• Options
    Dodgers were the team of the 80's. 81 team was loaded and beat Reggie Jackson and company. And the 88 team whipped those mighty A's.

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Dodgers were the team of the 80's. 81 team was loaded and beat Reggie Jackson and company. And the 88 team whipped those mighty A's.

Pick a year and a team. It wasn't a best team of the 80's question ( and the Dodgers certainly weren't the best of that decade)

mark

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No weaknesses" is a great way to describe the '84 Tigers. They had the best catcher in the majors, best or second-best defensive CF (who also put up 135 OPS+), the best double-play combination, terrific bullpen, pretty good starting rotation, solid pretty much everywhere else. #1 in runs scored and #1 in fewest runs allowed.

And they capped it all off with dominant wins in the ALCS and World Series, including my all-time favorite home run with Kirk Gibson's homer off Goose Gossage.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know a quick way to check if this is a record - although I'd bet it is - but at least for the 1980's no other World Series winning team came close to the Tigers in one odd respect. The best starting pitcher on the Tigers - Dan Petry - had an ERA+ of 121. The closest team to them by that measure was the 1986 Mets, whose best pitcher - Bob Ojeda - had an ERA+ of 140. Every winning team in the 80's had at least one starter with an ERA+ of 140 or better, except the 1984 Tigers.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta go with the '86 Mets. What an amazing postseason that was!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    80's
    Team of the decade - Dodgers - 2 Championships, 4 division titles
    Best team - 1986 Mets - 667 winning percentage

70's
    Team of the decade - Red legs
    Best team - 1979 Pirates