Home Sports Talk

Possibly another Triple Crown winner, in back to back years

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
With Nyquist taking the Derby, as an undefeated horse, we could see another bid for a TC. If he were to do it he would overshadow American Pharoahs TC feat last year, as he would of been undefeated going into a TC victory sweep, and exiting same as undefeated. Not since 1977 when Seattle Slew entered undefeated/exited the TC races undefeated has this happened. With Nyquists style of running close up to the pace, his chances look good in the Preakness on 5/21, as Pimlico is a speed favoring track, in conjunction with the sharp tight turns, you must be close up to the leader throughout. It is also a shorter distance than the Derby. Your thoughts?
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They all pale to Secretariat.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Secretariat will always be the greatest, but that shouldn't diminish the feat American Pharaoh accomplished last year, either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for that happening.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not this year.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and another pretender goes down, not really even close at a distant third. some will say it was because of the track conditions but if you can only run when things are in top form you are........................a pretender to the Triple Crown. this was all really nothing more than media hype and that is their job, to excite and draw interest so they can get advertising money. they do it well.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just goes to show you there is no locks in horse racing. Your best bet is to get some insider trading info. from Phil "The thrill" Mickelson.image
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    Originally posted by: keets

and another pretender goes down, not really even close at a distant third. some will say it was because of the track conditions but if you can only run when things are in top form you are........................a pretender to the Triple Crown. this was all really nothing more than media hype and that is their job, to excite and draw interest so they can get advertising money. they do it well.
    Regardless of who wins the Derby, every horse that wins it gets this hype every year, as obviously only the winner is eligible for the TC.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyquist fought hard. First loss ever. Who knows, he could win another Breeders Cup race. I love watching him race.

No one wins every race. Even Big Red

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Originally posted by: grote15

Secretariat will always be the greatest, but that shouldn't diminish the feat American Pharaoh accomplished last year, either.
    For me will always be "Affirmed" 1978 TC winner. His battles with "Alydar" were epic in the sport.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY

Originally posted by: grote15

For me will always be "Affirmed" 1978 TC winner. His battles with "Alydar" were epic in the sport.

Electrifying

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......