Home Sports Talk
Options

NHL playoff atmosphere

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's that time of the year.

I understand the season is too long.

Hard to care about ice hockey in June but for now it's awesome stuff.

Let me anchor this thread to help it sink to the bottom.image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Stars get eliminated then I'll let the thread sink, but as long as they're alive - GO STARS!!!

Heartbreaker for the Hawks last night - scoreless deep into overtime period 1 and a Blues pass deflects off a Chicago defenseman, through the 5 hole and into the net. I don't care for either team and don't care who wins the series, but that was painful to watch.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the short end of a 3-2 score last night. Game could have gone either way. I felt like a played in the game. I was literally sweaty after. Playoff games will do that to fans

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dallasactuary
    Heartbreaker for the Hawks last night - scoreless deep into overtime period 1 and a Blues pass deflects off a Chicago defenseman, through the 5 hole and into the net. I don't care for either team and don't care who wins the series, but that was painful to watch.

I'd think nearly getting doubled up in SOG and mustering only 18 shots at home in 3+ periods would be a little more painful to watch than benefiting from a fluke/slop goal which occurs at least once in every NHL game. Or having 5 out of your top 7 players get absolutely buried in possession (a collective -42 for Steen, Backes, Pietrangelo, and Jabe O'Meester against a Hawks team that wasn't rolling Duncan Keith- their only true puck mover from the back end).

I was starting to think this might actually be the year that the Blues finally broke through, and they still might for no other reason than fortunate bounces and playing a Chicago team that really only has two competent defensemen (Seabrook has been awful and gassed/out of shape all season). But then you quickly remember that this Blues team is still being coached by Ken Boyardee and one period of watching him fail at running out sensible line match-ups, and you quickly realize the NHL passed him by after the 2004-05 lockout. All fans from Central Division teams should get out a pen and personally thank Blues management for failing to replace Ken Boyardee with Pete DeBoer when they had the chance.

• Options
    I'm a Caps man, myself. Nice win over the Flyers.

I'd like to be super optimistic but we'll see.

Enjoyed your analysis lanemyer.

Ken Boyaredee. Lol. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    Stars crushed the Wild, 4-0, and it wasn't as close as the score indicates. If our often suspect goaltending can play even close to this level going forward, look out.
  • Options
    I'm surprised JoeBanzai hasn't chimed in to weigh in about his Wild.

They better pick it up.

Caps keep a rollin'.....

• Options
    That Blues / Blawkhawks series is more competitive than I assumed it would be.

Don't know much about the Blues.

The Blackhawks get lots of the ink throughout the year.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Bruins team had a great game ....on the golf course . Lousy bums
  • Options
    If you haven't seen Antoine Roussel's goal in game 2, you have to find it online and watch it. Strangest goal I've ever seen; maybe the strangest goal ever. And no, I have no idea if it really was a goal or not, but neither does anyone else. The video review - which overturned the call of "no goal" on the ice, so they were pretty sure at least - checked for playing with a high stick, for a distinct kicking motion, for the timing of the ref's whistle and for whether the puck crossed the goal line while the "integrity" of the goal was still intact. The puck didn't touch the stick of either the goal scorer or the player with the primary assist, and it was last touched by Dallas directly behind the net. Go Stars!!!
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    That Blues / Blawkhawks series is more competitive than I assumed it would be.
    Don't know much about the Blues.
    The Blackhawks get lots of the ink throughout the year.

nah, they always play close games against one another...at least in the playoffs. The Blues in general always play close games because Ken Boyardee ensures that that there is zero margin for error for his defense and goaltending by barely attacking the Hawks’ d-men in the corners, down low, or really anywhere aside from their 4th line because they're useless and that's all they can do...albeit not very well because all 3 of them are subpar skaters. So when puck possession even looks remotely lost, the Blues' forecheckers will retreat to the neutral zone. Their offensive plan consists of dumping the puck in and if that one forechecker isn’t clearly going to win back the puck, they'll retreat back to the neutral zone to gum things up in their pseudo-trap. That's how you land all of 18 shots in a 3+OT game and that's how in 3 games, you (the Blues) have scored two goals that didn't come from a fortunate bounce off of a defender or whatnot. That's their move. Fall in love with their immobile defense, kneecap their offense save for the Tarasenko/Lehtera/Schwartz line, their goalie gives up a softie here or there, said goalie will get blamed when they lose and Ken Boyardee will completely ignore that they scored 10 goals in six games so they'll run the same movie next year.

Now the Blues might still win the series because they're getting all kinds of lucky bounces, but this is absolutely the wrong gameplan to play against the Hawks. As it was the last 4 years that they failed with the same system. The Hawks now only have one plus skater on the blueline. Thus what they should be doing is constantly pressuring everyone not named Duncan Keith. I guess on the flipside, Hawks fans can still hold out hope that Brian Elliott is, well, Brian Elliott, and the chances he'll keep up this level aren't very good if history is any indication. Couple with the fact that the Blues have all of two skaters (Tarasenko & Schwartz) who can create any offense whatsoever on their own. So you'd have to think there are only so many goals that can be scored off of defenders legs or sticks going forward.
  • Options
    Yeah......stay classy Flyers......and Flyers fans.

What an embarrassment and no self respect.

• Options
    Enough of that. Movin' on.

Go Caps!

• Options
    My team is out due to the surging Penguins. image

Couple of interesting game 7's in the west.....

I'm starting to realize that Pierre McGuire is a bit of a tool.

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    I'm starting to realize that Pierre McGuire is a bit of a tool.

He is completely unbearable. He just never shuts up.

He was up for some GM job a year or two and I was as disappointed as he was that he didn't get it. It would have saved my ears from his constant abuse.

• Options
    I'm going to put Eddie Olczyk in this category too.

How many times do we have to hear about the "skill level of Sidney Crosby" every time he attempts a pass or takes a drink?

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Plain vanilla in a Cup. May the season end it Pitty so they can celebrate their Mazeroskis off.

BTW, it's good to see a little backlash for the NBC dweebs, but isn't anyone yet tired of Doc Emrick's screaming like a possessed hyena at a Pee-Wee tournament?