Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 NFL draft

VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
Now is the time of year when hopes & dreams start to come alive for NFL teams (and you also start to learn the names of college football players). So far looking like North Dakota State's Carson Wentz should be going in the top 10.

Any thoughts on your favorite team?

Comments

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    My favorite time of year. The NFL draft!

I don't like this draft much especially at the top. If I am the 49ers GM I would trade the 7 and move down and add picks. They have a ton of holes and nobody in that 7 spot is going to make the difference a superstar could make. You can get someone in the mid 20's that has just about the same chance as that #7 spot to make the pro bowl. The 49ers just need to find a team that wants one of these QB's bad enough and wants to trade up for him.

but...

Knowing the 49ers they will pick Jared Goff and they will get a rookie QB put into a position to fail due to lack of talent around him.

• Options
    Wentz or Goff for first pick overall?????
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always looking past the draft and waiting for training camp, the Pats are famous for making people wonder what they are thinking on draft day.
  • Options
    A lot of trade talk floating around but nothing yet since the big ones happened.
  • Options
    Only 12+ hrs to go. Fargo, ND is going crazy - Wentz is definitely the talk of the town.
  • Options
    As is Joe Haeg and Conner McGovern
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The.Ohio.State.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michigan State 17
    The.Ohio.State 14

WOW, all those first round picks and you couldn't beat MSU at home......WOW, just WOW.
  • Options
    I was hoping for Doctson but Treadwell was my #2
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking a running back at 4 is pure folly. Then again this is the Cowboys

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter
    Michigan State 17
    The.Ohio.State 14

WOW, all those first round picks and you couldn't beat MSU at home......WOW, just WOW.

Hard to win 26 games in a row. Cant win them all.

When was the last time bama beat Ole Miss? lol

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

A better question might be when was the last time Bama even played for a National Title, let alone won it? Oh yeah, I forgot lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lightningboy

A better question might be when was the last time Bama even played for a National Title, let alone won it? Oh yeah, I forgot lol.

Only because the sec biased committee purposely left the best team out of the playoffs. The team that won 25 straight games and has a better record over the last 2 years than any other team.

• Options
    NFL draft record 11 Buckeyes taken in 1st 3 rounds.

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

NCAA RECORD - BAMA 3 of 5 and 4 out of past 7 National Champions

Listen carefully ......... yep, that's right, you just heard the mic drop.
  • Options
    At the end of the last NFL season, The University of Miami had the most former players in the NFL with 61, followed by BAMA with 59. So far through the first 3+ rounds, 2 Canes have been drafted and 7 Tide. So, it looks like the Tide have a chance of having the most players in the NFL for the upcoming season. By the way, OSU had 47, so they will definitely jump up, but they will still play 2nd fiddle, at best, to Alabama
  • Options

Yet your Cowboys were smart enough to take Zeke over Henry. image

All those National Championships but couldn't beat the team with a 3rd string Quarterback.

• Options

All those National Championships but couldn't beat the team with a 3rd string Quarterback.

All those 1st round superstars and you couldn't even win your own conference??

I'll take a bunch of "nobodys" that come together as a team to win it all then have a bunch of "superstars" who just cant get it done.

And yes, I am happy about the Zeke draft.
  • Options

Only because of the tiebreaker rule. Ohio State had the same record as both Mich State and Alabama.

If Ole Miss remembers how to tackle against Arkansas, the sec might've gotten left out as well.

• Options

Only because of the tiebreaker rule. Ohio State had the same record as both Mich State and Alabama.

If Ole Miss remembers how to tackle against Arkansas, the sec might've gotten left out as well.

"If" Ole Miss ... Well, "If", OSU could have mustered closer to the 440 yards BAMA put up against MSU's vaunted D, instead of the meager 132 they managed, maybe they could have had the chance to defend their title.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The draft indeed highlights what a disappointing year the Buckeyes had. One three point loss on the last play of the game. Expectations are National Championship or bust. It is good to always be in the conversation however until OSU wins multiple Championships in a short time they will not be in the same category as Alabama.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

"If" Ole Miss ... Well, "If", OSU could have mustered closer to the 440 yards BAMA put up against MSU's vaunted D, instead of the meager 132 they managed, maybe they could have had the chance to defend their title.

Yet a team that lost to Toledo beat the team that beat Bama. lol

Buckeyes were riding a 25 game winning streak. Whats Bamas excuse?

• Options
    Originally posted by: Brick
    The draft indeed highlights what a disappointing year the Buckeyes had. One three point loss on the last play of the game. Expectations are National Championship or bust. It is good to always be in the conversation however until OSU wins multiple Championships in a short time they will not be in the same category as Alabama.

Disagree. Yes, Alabama is on a roll....but even some of their championships needed a bit of luck or voters giving them the benefit of the doubt. Hell, last year they simply lost to a team at the right time. Even then, had Ole Miss beaten teams they were supposed to, 'Bama would have been left out just like we were.

If Ole Miss remembers how to tackle, the SEC might have been left out of the playoff.

2009- Colt gets hurt.

2011- Undeserved rematch.

2012- Ohio State is banned from the postseason.

2015 - Buckeyes were left out so Alabama could win.

• Options
    It is good to always be in the conversation however until OSU wins multiple Championships in a short time they will not be in the same category as Alabama. --- Thank you Brick. Finally some objective light on the subject.

You can dismantle every championship, by every team, in every sport and you will find countless, what if's, that wasn't fair and whatever else happenings that "unjustifiably" made someone a champion. The fact is only 1 team per year plays through their share of what if's, and that wasn't fair and whatever elses, to stand at the end. OSU cannot consistently do that and Alabama can.
  • Options
    They may have won it last year due to default. But Ohio State was the best team.

• Options

They may have won it last year due to default. But Ohio State was the best team.

On paper but certainly not on the field and that's where the games are played

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Dude, just give it up. If they were truly the best team when it counted, not early on or late in the season or during a middle of the season streak, but when it counted, they would be back to back National Champions. They simply were NOT good enough when it counted and Alabama was.
  • Options

Dude, just give it up. If they were truly the best team when it counted, not early on or late in the season or during a middle of the season streak, but when it counted, they would be back to back National Champions. They simply were NOT good enough when it counted and Alabama was.

Of course we will never know because 12 people sitting at a desk robbed them of a chance to defend their title after beating Bama the year before. Bama lucked out with one loss being good enough to win their conference in a down year with that fluke Arkansas win over Ole Miss.

• Options

Of course we will never know because 12 people robbed them of a chance to defend their title after beating Bama the year before. Bama lucked out with one loss being good enough to win their conference in a down year with that fluke Arkansas win over Ole Miss.

Iowa and Standford finished ahead of OSU in the committees pecking order. OSU was not even in conversation.

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

Of course we will never know because 12 people robbed them of a chance to defend their title after beating Bama the year before. Bama lucked out with one loss being good enough to win their conference in a down year with that fluke Arkansas win over Ole Miss.

Iowa and Standford finished ahead of OSU in the committees pecking order. OSU was not even in conversation.

mark

Thanks for further proving my point. Everyone knows Ohio State would've whipped both of those teams. Stanford barely beat Notre Dame.

• Options

mark

Thanks for further proving my point. Everyone knows Ohio State would've whipped both of those teams. Stanford barely beat Notre Dame at home.

Everyone knows they didn't deserve a shot. Except maybe you and a few other homers.

You have no problem making a fool out of yourself. I sort of admire the blind loyalty even if ridiculous and baseless.

mark

• Options

mark

Thanks for further proving my point. Everyone knows Ohio State would've whipped both of those teams. Stanford barely beat Notre Dame at home.

Everyone knows they didn't deserve a shot. Except maybe you and a few other homers.

You have no problem making a fool out of yourself. I sort of admire the blind loyalty even if ridiculous and baseless.

mark

Nah you're just a butthurt Michigan fan.

42-13

lol

• Options
    Of course we will never know because 12 people sitting at a desk robbed them of a chance to defend their title after beating Bama the year before. Bama lucked out with one loss being good enough to win their conference in a down year with that fluke Arkansas win over Ole Miss.

It was more like 24 people that robbed them of their chance - 11 defenders, 11 offensive players and their punter and kicker. If it wasn't for those guys they might have taken care of their business and had the chance to fall to BAMA in the title game.

The best thing about your posts is to sit back and see how far out your blame goes. I'm just waiting for the Tide's elephant to get caught in the crossfire.
  • Options

It was more like 24 people that robbed them of their chance - 11 defenders, 11 offensive players and their punter and kicker. If it wasn't for those guys they might have taken care of their business and had the chance to fall to BAMA in the title game.

The best thing about your posts is to sit back and see how far out your blame goes. I'm just waiting for the Tide's elephant to get caught in the crossfire.

The committee got it wrong by failing to put the 4 best teams in. Computers and sagarin had OSU at #4 after the conference championship games.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, OSU had 10 players drafted this year and they finished 3rd in their conference. Man, that sucks being behind MSU and Iowa. Bama had 7 players drafted and won it all.
    Hey Garnett, I bet it was hard watching other teams play for the National Championship while your boys were watching them on television. I bet you had to use more than 1 crying towel.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen someone make so many excuses to justify why his team came up short and has no trophy. It's quite amusing, really, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

The committee got it wrong by failing to put the 4 best teams in. Computers and sagarin had OSU at #4 after the conference championship games.

Every year there are two losers in the semi finals games in case you haven't figured it out.

mark
  • Options
    And none of them are North Dakota State with 5 consecutive trophies.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark

Not being smart or anything, but what was the folly in taking Elliot a #4??

• Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Mark

Too high for a running back given the nature of their short careers. Dallas would have been better served moving back in the draft if they weren't going to draft Ramsey. They could have been paid handsomely to move down and could have still had a chance an Elliot.

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Mark

Too high for a running back given the nature of their short careers. Dallas would have been better served moving back in the draft if they weren't going to draft Ramsey. They could have been paid handsomely to move down and could have still had a chance an Elliot.

mark

Being a longtime Cowboys fan, I was initially disgusted with their selection of Elliot. I wanted Ramsey in a bad way to really shore up their secondary and D on the whole. Plus, if McFadden could rush for 1100 yards, in less than a full season's worth of carries and without the aid of Romo at QB, I didn't think RB was such a glaring need. Especially considering they picked up Morris and Dunbar will be back at some point. But, over the next few days, I thought about how Demarco in 2014 not only was a big factor in the offense, but he was also a big factor in helping the defense go from essentially ranking last to ranking around 15 or 16. So, I think the brain trust is counting on Elliot to score, chew up the clock and help that defense single-handedly.
  • Options
    But yes, they probably could have moved back a couple of spots and still drafted Elliot.
  • Options
    Browns looked good with 14 picks and still screwed themselves.
  • Options
    I am a Cowboys fan ......always have been always will be.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know beans about the whole draft jockeying and strategy thing. Dallas use to have a real good owner and one of the best coaches ever in Landry. In comes Jerry and the first thing he does is fire Landry. A classless act and big mistake. He did hire a great coach in Jimmy Johnson and made that big deal with the Vikings that allowed Dallas to win 3 Super Bowls in a 4 year span. I give him credit for that, but he has REALLY bungled things since.

I have no idea how good or bad they did in the draft. Only next season will put a light on that.

I will say we (Cowboys) have a poor HC and are owned by egotistical nut and have a over the hill QB who's best years (which weren't that good) are behind him. Age, 2 broken collar bones and back problems will take it's toll on him soon. They had better address this real soon.

Bottom line.......I will always be a Cowboy fan, but until things change I see little hope in anything good happening in the Big "D"!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!image
  • Options
    I will say we (Cowboys) have a poor HC and are owned by egotistical nut and have a over the hill QB who's best years (which weren't that good) are behind him. Age, 2 broken collar bones and back problems will take it's toll on him soon. They had better address this real soon. - DIMEMAN

Just when I start to give you the benefit of the doubt that you have an idea of what you are talking about, you end up making absurd comments. How do you define a good year by a QB? Do you understand QB statistics at all? I was a huge fan of Aikman, mainly because the team was great and they were winning. But, if you think Aikman would have won 3 Super Bowls or even 1 with the supporting casts that Romo has been subjected to, you are very sadly mistaken.

By the way, over Romo's last 2 full seasons, he completed 67 percent of his passes, had 65 TD's vs. 19 Int's and was the highest rated QB in one of those years. He is also currently the 3rd highest rated QB in history. I'm not saying these stats make him elite, necessarily, but they sure don't go down in the "weren't that good" category.
  • Options
    I will say we (Cowboys) have a poor HC and are owned by egotistical nut and have a over the hill QB who's best years (which weren't that good) are behind him. Age, 2 broken collar bones and back problems will take it's toll on him soon. They had better address this real soon. - DIMEMAN

Just when I start to give you the benefit of the doubt that you have an idea of what you are talking about, you end up making absurd comments. How do you define a good year by a QB? Do you understand QB statistics at all? I was a huge fan of Aikman, mainly because the team was great and they were winning. But, if you think Aikman would have won 3 Super Bowls or even 1 with the supporting casts that Romo has been subjected to, you are very sadly mistaken.

By the way, over Romo's last 2 full seasons, he completed 67 percent of his passes, had 65 TD's vs. 19 Int's and was the highest rated QB in one of those years. He is also currently the 3rd highest rated QB in history. I'm not saying these stats make him elite, necessarily, but they sure don't go down in the "weren't that good" category.

I didn't say ROMO was terrible.......I said he was about done. He had a couple of good years number wise, but just isn't a winner. And you are wrong...... Romo is NO Aikman.

• Options
    He had a couple of good years number wise, but just isn't a winner. And you are wrong...... Romo is NO Aikman. - dimeman

First of all, where did I say Romo was Aikman. What I said is that Aikman would not have all the rings he has if he played on the teams that Romo has. Go check the defense rankings of that 90's dynasty versus the defense rankings over the past decade

Now you agree that Romo had a couple of good years number wise? Wasn't this your previous post "over the hill QB who's best years (which weren't that good)"

You just keep putting all the weight of winning on a QB . Look at all the ridiculous seasons that Peyton Manning had in his career that did not end up with a ring and yet last year he has by far and away his worst statistical season ever and he wins it all. How did that happen?

And before you point out to me that Romo is no Manning, I already know that.
  • Options
    He had a couple of good years number wise, but just isn't a winner. And you are wrong...... Romo is NO Aikman. - dimeman

First of all, where did I say Romo was Aikman. What I said is that Aikman would not have all the rings he has if he played on the teams that Romo has. Go check the defense rankings of that 90's dynasty versus the defense rankings over the past decade

Now you agree that Romo had a couple of good years number wise? Wasn't this your previous post "over the hill QB who's best years (which weren't that good)"

You just keep putting all the weight of winning on a QB . Look at all the ridiculous seasons that Peyton Manning had in his career that did not end up with a ring and yet last year he has by far and away his worst statistical season ever and he wins it all. How did that happen?

And before you point out to me that Romo is no Manning, I already know that.

I agree with you that success or not can't all be put on the QB. I'm just saying that over the years Romo has lost games by messing up at the end of the game. I know he has also won games at the end. I am just not a Romo fan and think that age and injuries will keep him from being effective this season.

I hope I am wrong! I would love to see the Cowboys do good again.image

• Options
    That is why this article is perplexing
    Cowboys turning into a scary contender
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VikingDude
    That is why this article is perplexing
    Cowboys turning into a scary contender

I will consider them scary contenders when they start beating good teams.

I am anxious to see if we see the 2014 Romo or the preceding years Romo....or even worse last years broke Romo.