Home Sports Talk
Options

For Whom The Bell Tolls...Johnny Football meltdown

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
Reported by NFL.com, Manziel will be cut by the Browns on March 9th.

Manziel allegedly whacked his girlfriend so hard that it ruptured an eardrum. The Browns and their new coach have had enough.

Self-implosion strikes again!

Comments

• Options
    His career is over. His family needs to get him help or he won't make it to 30. Never mind football.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am all for second chances but this guy burned all of his. He basically spat in the face of the league...plus imo anyone who beats a woman is beneath contempt. I hope prosecution is in the offing and his new girlfriend is named Bubba.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    To get paid millions of dollars to play a game is a privilege and this guy should permanently lose the privilege. In addition, from what he has done on the field he has only proven that this time in the sport should be limited regardless of his stupidity.
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Trouble off the field & has never proved anything on the field.............why bother?
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, am I glad the Cowboys passed on him!
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    So now the word is that Johnny is staying at Josh Gordon's place...the same guy that has been suspended from the NFL for almost 2 years for failed drug tests.

I don't mean to be blunt, but Gordon is not a guy I would be buds with if I was trying to turn over a new leaf.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy can't get out of his own way

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: purduepete
    So now the word is that Johnny is staying at Josh Gordon's place...the same guy that has been suspended from the NFL for almost 2 years for failed drug tests.

I don't mean to be blunt, but Gordon is not a guy I would be buds with if I was trying to turn over a new leaf.

That's the whole thing. He's not. He doesn't think there is anything wrong. Nothing wrong with partying bro!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice work...Gordon...blunt...buds...leaf. That gave me a perma-grin.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: vintagefun
    Nice work...Gordon...blunt...buds...leaf. That gave me a perma-grin.

WOOOOOSH......that all went right over my head. Nicely played Purdue Pete, nicely played.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I don't think drugs or alcohol are the root of his problems. They're definitely keeping him down and contributing to his demise, but the problem runs deeper- and it's a problem that's substantially more subtle than meets the eye.

He's too comfortable.

For his entire childhood, he's been fortunate (or misfortunate, maybe?) to have two very well-to-do parents with all the support he could want. That doesn't sound like a bad thing, but when you've had a support net for your entire life- and then suddenly you find yourself with collegiate freedoms like alcohol, drugs, partying, and so forth, and no strict/persistent parental guidance to make sure your focus is in the right place- the risks of succumbing to lifestyle distractions simply mount.

In college, he had a system that either masked his partying or at least minimized its consequences. His parents may not have necessarily given up a blank check, but either way, he didn't have a pro football salary, either. Most likely, he didn't need a car on campus.

Now, take a hard-core party animal who's somewhat familiar with drugs and very familiar with alcohol, and throw a couple million in salary and even more in endorsements. Have him take pics with LeBron James and Rob Gronkowski, and then see how many invites he gets in Vegas. This is a surprise to people?

The worst part for Johnny Manziel is that he doesn't know where rock bottom is. He's never been exposed to it- this experience is all too new to him. And though it's (admittedly) interesting to see how low he can go, part of me feels bad that he doesn't realize how dire his situation is. I'd be pretty surprised if he was alive in about 10 years.

If Johnny wants to live, in my humble opinion, his folks should take him in and strip him away from his millions (if he has anything left from that anyway). He gets a manual labor job where he has to actually earn every cent he's paid, and maybe take evening classes so he can work on accomplishing something (i.e., a degree or whatnot). Like prison, but without the discouragement- just a little bit of discomfort to remind him how great he had it in the first place. I don't mean to sound so punitive, but I highly doubt this guy ever had a genuine "real world" perspective.

Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Johnny wants to live, in my humble opinion, his folks should take him in and strip him away from his millions (if he has anything left from that anyway). He gets a manual labor job where he has to actually earn every cent he's paid, and maybe take evening classes so he can work on accomplishing something (i.e., a degree or whatnot). Like prison, but without the discouragement- just a little bit of discomfort to remind him how great he had it in the first place. I don't mean to sound so punitive, but I highly doubt this guy ever had a genuine "real world" perspective.

Never gonna happen. A guy like him is never going to work like a normal Joe Schmo as long as he has other options and/or hasn't hit rock bottom. He may not have an NFL contract, but he has a lot more options and opportunities to extend the party lifestyle before he has to look for normal work. Guys like him never get it until it's too late, unfortunately.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Never gonna happen. A guy like him is never going to work like a normal Joe Schmo as long as he has other options and/or hasn't hit rock bottom. He may not have an NFL contract, but he has a lot more options and opportunities to extend the party lifestyle before he has to look for normal work. Guys like him never get it until it's too late, unfortunately.

The only "option" or "opportunity" I can think of is reality TV. He's lost most (if not all) of his endorsements and even his friends/former teammates don't want to be associated with him.

But you're right- guys like him never really do get it until it's too late. I can see him getting hired by something like that Kardashian b.s. show, making enough money to blow exclusively on drugs, and then OD'ing.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    Why is this being discussed in the sports section?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: thebaseballcardkid
    Why is this being discussed in the sports section?

Touché

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to feel sorry for someone who has it made and blows it.........but it is sad.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless he OD's or something tragic happens to him or someone else while he is using he will be fine, you guys are forgetting the biggest thing about this situation and that is HE DONT NEED THE NFL! He comes from a rich oil family and will be financially set regardless if he parties or doesnt, millions of kids his age do the same thing and nobody cares because they didn't get drafted by a pro team.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless he OD's or something tragic happens to him

The way he's going, that seems pretty likely. The wealthy background provides a cushion most guys don't have, but drug addiction transcends economic status, and there's no question in my mind that Manziel is on drugs.

This guy makes Ryan Leaf look successful.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.