Home Sports Talk

Will Peyton Manning Retire before the 2016 season starts?

I think he should.
I hope he does.
However, I think he will try to play one more year.
What say you?

Comments

• He's terrible at ping pong.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toughest thing for an athlete is to go out 'on top', but I think he should and I think he will.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should so he can get that UT coaching job he wants sealed up sooner.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I hope he sticks around for one more year if nothing else he'll keep a little class in the NFL. Before long it'll be the NTL National Thug League
    If Newton is to be the face of the NFL for the next ten years they'll lose me and bunch more old geezers.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would say without a doubt he's done. His father said as much before catching himself last night. You can't ride out any better than this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dennis07
    I hope he sticks around for one more year if nothing else he'll keep a little class in the NFL. Before long it'll be the NTL National Thug League
    If Newton is to be the face of the NFL for the next ten years they'll lose me and bunch more old geezers.

I agree with the "NTL" sentiment but would still like to see Peyton go out a winner rather than trying to keep going another season when it's obvious that his abilities just aren't at the elite level any longer. He's a lock for some sort of well paying post career gig, be it coaching, broadcasting etc. not to mention his ongoing endorsement deals so income won't be an issue for him. Go out with class and call it a great HOF bound career rather than risk permanent disability.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I really don't care if he stays or goes!
    He is way over the hill and will be a vegetable if he keeps playing.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for Peyton to go off into the sunset. Hopefully he will leave and not come back for another year that would be very agonizing for him, his teammates and the fans who watch the game.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    I hope he does. a great cap to a great career.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see him go out on top and in good health. If he does retire the Broncos chances to repeat go down a bit.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if that investigation concerning that mystery package mailed to his home,in his wifes name I believe, will continue.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    My vote is yes. He used to be one of those that would pick a defense apart but that isn't there anymore
    Aside from all the HGH allegations, some disturbing revelations coming to light that would seem to contradict the squeaky clean image the Mannings have cultivated.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...le-1.2530395?cid=bitly

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I remember this story about Manning when it first broke about 20 years ago. Stupid choice and conduct by a 20 year old major college football star. Interesting how it has been resurrected at this time. The public loves and hates their hero's at the same time.
    Originally posted by: SanctionII

I remember this story about Manning when it first broke about 20 years ago. Stupid choice and conduct by a 20 year old major college football star. Interesting how it has been resurrected at this time. The public loves and hates their hero's at the same time.

Are you missing a word after hero's?

Interesting how some players are villified automatically, while others get a pass for worse behavior. If true, this kind of behavior is beyond just the normal frat house behavior of a 20-year-old. The Manning family has worked very hard to cultivate a squeaky clean image, but the stories like these, the HGH allegations, and Eli's own involvement in a GU memorabilia scandal seem to belie that image.

The described incident is one that is inexcusable. On top of gross it would also be the crime of battery. I suspect that if a 20 year old average Joe who did what Manning did would have been arrested, tried, convicted and sent to jail. Some folks are treated differently, including sports heros. I remember stories about Archie Manning during his playing days. I wonder if Peyton ' s sons will choose to be a QB like dad, uncle and gramps?
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one am not ever surprised about the conduct of a Pro athlete.

They are treated from a very young age like 'Gods' by their entire surrounding group, who can't help but feel over time, they are above the Law.

I'm not certainly excusing Peyton Manning for his actions, but in this particular case, what I find more appalling is how the Manning family, years after this incident took place, went after this woman to destroy her career.

If this is true, both actions should be punished, but morally, I find the second action a whole lot worse.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The UT trainer, Mike Rollo, sounds like the worst kind of scum imaginable, a jock sniffing, woman hater who would lie and coerce other people to lie in order to protect his precious athletes. Lucky for him, he died before the story hit the news in a major way.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sexual harassment story has legs. Nationwide and Papa John's will "suspend" their relationship with Peyton within a week, which will later become permanent. I would not be surprised if more stories surface (from other women), I am sure TMZ is pounding the pavement. Endorsement-wise, the could be as big a disaster as the sordid Tiger Woods saga.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Connecticoin

The sexual harassment story has legs. Nationwide and Papa John's will "suspend" their relationship with Peyton within a week, which will later become permanent.

Week is up,,,,,
    GrandAm :)
    It now is beginning to sound like Manning will not retire but force the Broncos to either cut him or ask him to come back at a greatly reduced salary (if they want him back at all). Frankly, I am surprised~Manning appeared to struggle mightily at times last season and you'd think that there would be no better way to ride off into retirement than with the Super Bowl ring. It will be interesting what kind of interest a FA Manning will generate, assuming the Broncos release him next week.

Nevermind, it appears Manning came to his senses after reading my post, LOL..

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this keep Payton out of the HOF?

Really what he did was worse (to me) than what Rose did.
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Will this keep Payton out of the HOF?

Really what he did was worse (to me) than what Rose did.

Where has it been proven anywhere that the charges brought against Peyton by this female trainer were true?

I know a settlement was reached to end this but I suspect that was to avoid the negative publicity that such a lawsuit would generate.

Peyton was prepairing to become the #1 overall NFL draft pick and Archie having been a NFL Quarterback himself was well aware of the harm that just such a charge could bring true or not ,,,, exaggerated or not.

I am sure that Archie was aware of the hundreds of millions of dollars that were at stake over the course of Peyton's NFL Career and I suspect that a decision was made that to pay this woman off for a few hundred thousand dollars was the easiest and safest way to end this mess and to protect Peyton's future career.

Did something happen? I am sure something did but how much was it overblown?

Peyton was a kid at the time,,,,19 yrs old maybe.

How has Peyton lived his life both on and off the field in the years since? You would be hard pressed to find a better role model for the NFL than what Peyton Manning has been for the last 18 years.

How many other NFL Stars sponsor a Children's Hospital (Peyton Manning Children's Hospital Indianapolis, IN) and Peyton still sponsors this hospital even after being released by INDY and going to Denver.

I know that there are other athletes who do good deeds and charitable work but it is safe to say that Peyton has certainly done more than his fair share and has gone above and beyond,,,

Any suggestion that Peyton does not deserve to be in the HOF as one of the greatest NFL Quarterbacks of all time is completely unjustified.

Grandam - you read me wrong. I in no way am bashing Payton. He is the best QB ever and has been a role model his whole career as you stated. It's unfortunant(sp) that this happened while he was young and stupid. I do think it happened. From what I read the Mannings ruined this women's life. That's if it is true. Pappa John and Nationwide dropped him the very next day, which I thought was a bit premature.

I just posed the question if it is true will it or should it keep him out of the Hall.
    I am not aware that Papa John's dropped Peyton for endorsements.

Has that happened? Peyton owns 15-20 Pappa John's restaurants.

Papa came on the field after the Super Bowl and gave Peyton a hug.
    This did not come out until a few days after the SB. Peyton has not been on TV since.
    There is no way Peyton is not a first ballot HOFer.

Rose is a liar and a degenerate gambler who voluntarily accepted his lifetime ban. He has done nothing since to warrant reinstatement.

If this is true about Peyton.....he is also a liar. And personally I feel sexually assaulting a women and wrecking her career is much worse than gambling. Looks like a double standard to me. They both should be in the HOF.
    Good thing we don't punish people simply based on allegations in this country. A story nearly 20 years old suddenly resurfaces again?

Anyone who believes Rose should be in the HOF is basing that opinion on emotion not facts.

In the interest of playing devil's advocate on both sides of this story...

Side A-If this allegation has so much merit then why wasn't it aggressively prosecuted when it happened? Was it perhaps because young Peyton wasn't yet a multimillionaire and now there's a chance someone can get paid?

Side B-If it's true and successfully proven, does PM still deserve the Hall? If your answer is yes to Manning and no to Rose, why is this so much different? Does breaking a big rule trump breaking the law?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    Originally posted by: telephoto1

Side A-If this allegation has so much merit then why wasn't it aggressively prosecuted when it happened? Was it perhaps because young Peyton wasn't yet a multimillionaire and now there's a chance someone can get paid?

Side B-If it's true and successfully proven, does PM still deserve the Hall? If your answer is yes to Manning and no to Rose, why is this so much different? Does breaking a big rule trump breaking the law?

Also, which is worse?

1) Sexually abusing and wrecking a women's life. OR

2) Gambling???
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sexual harassment was settled long ago. As part of the settlement , because they lost the case , the Manning family were supposed to shut their mouths about it and couldn't. They brought it back up because they are, well they are douches , and then the woman won another judgement. They also dragged her name through the mud numerous times . If you have much more money than they other party and you lose it means you did it and there has to be plenty of evidence or your cash advantage would give you the win.

Manning is not the greatest QB of all time just the greatest regular season QB and even that is suspect because all these yards and TD's came in an era when defense has been legislated out of existence . If he had played in the 70's and 80's would he have better numbers than say , Dan Marino? No in fact if you plunked the manning brothers down in that era I'd say Eli would be ahead of his brother .

It isn't fair to come back 20 yrs later and crusify a man for something he may or may not have none as a 19 yr old kid.

He didn't kill anybody,,,,, the case was settled so it shouldn't even be a factor in anything.

I am sure 95% of us have done something as a kid we wouldn't want drug back up 20 yrs after the fact.

Don't cast stones,,,,,,,
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

The sexual harassment was settled long ago. As part of the settlement , because they lost the case , the Manning family were supposed to shut their mouths about it and couldn't. They brought it back up because they are, well they are douches , and then the woman won another judgement. They also dragged her name through the mud numerous times . If you have much more money than they other party and you lose it means you did it and there has to be plenty of evidence or your cash advantage would give you the win.

I agree.

Manning is not the greatest QB of all time just the greatest regular season QB and even that is suspect because all these yards and TD's came in an era when defense has been legislated out of existence . If he had played in the 70's and 80's would he have better numbers than say , Dan Marino? No in fact if you plunked the manning brothers down in that era I'd say Eli would be ahead of his brother .

I disagree with this. If anything is different between the era's ....... The DB's are much better now and get away with more.

Also, which is worse?

1) Sexually abusing and wrecking a women's life. OR

2) Gambling???

The question of which is worse is immaterial, really. One carries an explicit lifetime ban from the sport. The other does not. OJ. Simpson is still enshrined in the pro football HOF.

One carries an explicit lifetime ban from the sport. The other does not. OJ. Simpson is still enshrined in the pro football HOF.

Yes. And don't you consider this an indication that there is something drastically wrong with the enshrinement criteria of the two respective Halls?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

One carries an explicit lifetime ban from the sport. The other does not. OJ. Simpson is still enshrined in the pro football HOF.

Yes. And don't you consider this an indication that there is something drastically wrong with the enshrinement criteria of the two respective Halls?

I'm not offering an opinion on what's wrong or right. The rules are in place and govern the circumstances. Anyone playing organized baseball knows that betting on baseball is strictly forbidden and if you do, what the consequences are. As Johnny Bench said, it's not a question of whether Rose deserves to be in the HOF or not. What do you want them to do? Create a new set of rules? (I'm paraphrasing here, but point is the same ~the rules are the rules, and they are clear as day.) We can discuss the morality behind the rules but that the wasn't the point of my post. Also, to my knowledge, being accused of sexual misconduct would not carry a lifetime ban from the baseball HOF, either, with respect to Manning's situation.

What do you want them to do? Create a new set of rules?

Actually, in regards to HOF induction, yes... one that makes the punishment commensurate with the crime. It is ludicrous that a sports hall of fame holds gambling in higher contempt than things like drug use, attempted murder, assault and battery, sexual offenses etc.

I'm OK (grudgingly) with Pete's ban from the sport- he broke the big rule, I get it- but the Hall has been and always should be about what was accomplished on the field. Point and period. jmho.

As to the Peyton thing, my comments on whether he deserve Canton assume that he's convicted of something...which likely won't happen, especially if some OOC settlement was done long ago (I am admittedly not familiar with the specifics of what if anything was settled 20 years ago).

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    The fundamental difference between gambling and the other transgressions you listed is that gambling jeopardizes the integrity of the game itself while the others do not. If the public believes gamblers are involved in fixing games, the sport is ruined.

Originally posted by: grote15
    The fundamental difference between gambling and the other transgressions you listed is that gambling jeopardizes the integrity of the game itself while the others do not. If the public believes gamblers are involved in fixing games, the sport is ruined.

The only way it would hurt the game is "IF" you would bet against your team and then do things that causes you to lose.

ROSE NEVER BET AGAINST THE REDS! HE DID NOT THROW GAMES!

This needs to be changed. The HOF is NOTHING without the all time hit leader in it.

And not only is he the all time hit leader he played the game harder than anyone.

No running halfway to first base and jogging to the dugout like some do.

The only way it would hurt the game is "IF" you would bet against your team and then do things that causes you to lose.

This needs to be changed. The HOF is NOTHING without the all time hit leader in it.

And not only is he the all time hit leader he played the game harder than anyone.

You are incorrect on both counts. Betting on your team even to win is damaging to the sport as it will affect the way you manage if money is riding on the game. Plus, you essentially communicate to the bookies that you don't believe your team can win on games you don't bet on. Any involvement with bookies is disastrous to the integrity of the game. That is why the penalty is so severe. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

In addition, Dowd has stated on several occasions that had the investigation into Rose's gambling continued, that there was compelling evidence that Rose also bet AGAINST the Reds, as well. Rose wanted the investigation to stop before that came to light. That is why he agreed to the lifetime ban in the first place.

You are incorrect on both counts. Betting on your team even to win is damaging to the sport as it will affect the way you manage if money is riding on the game. Plus, you essentially communicate to the bookies that you don't believe your team can win on games you don't bet on. Any involvement with bookies is disastrous to the integrity of the game. That is why the penalty is so severe. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

In addition, Dowd has stated on several occasions that had the investigation into Rose's gambling continued, that there was compelling evidence that Rose also bet AGAINST the Reds, as well. Rose wanted the investigation to stop before that came to light. That is why he agreed to the lifetime ban in the first place.

I won't get into an argument about betting. I agree he should not have done it. The bottom line with me is that the HOF is all about accomplishments on the field. And the all time hit leader should be in and not banned for something he did at the end of his career.

The fundamental difference between gambling and the other transgressions you listed is that gambling jeopardizes the integrity of the game itself while the others do not.

Disagree. Things like PEDs, which are tantamount to chemically cheating at the game, allowing multiple blown chance drug users to still draw millions, and glossing over/minimizing illegal activity ALL impact the integrity of the game in my view.

We give multiple chances to career-long drug addicts but can't give ONE second chance to someone with an obvious gambling problem that, as Dimeman pointed out, only manifested itself at the end of his career? And yes, Pete was a jerk on a personal level and did himself no favors, plus he made an enemy of the Commissioner- but if that's such a HOF dealbreaker then there are several other guys that shouldn't be there.

Bottom line for me is that Rose gave 110% his whole career as a player and set what most regard as the second most important all time record behind the HR crown. If that doesn't earn you the HOF I don't know what does, gambling or no.

I know- biggest rule, death sentence, yada yada... still doesn't make it right.

And this is coming from an STL fan who's never particularly cared for the Reds.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    Your opinion on the topic is apparent, telephoto, but is not supported by the reality of the rules and regulations and why they are in place. The simple truth is that the sport can survive an individual's drug use. (And there are stiff penalties now in place governing PED use in any case, both by MLB, and in the case of HOF voting, the court of public opinion.) What it cannot survive is the potential for the outcome of the games to be fixed or influenced by bookmakers. Furthermore, Rose would likely have been reinstated long ago had he not carried on with no remorse or regret for his actions, not to mention the fact he continuously lied about betting on baseball for many years. He has done nothing by his behavior to warrant reinstatement. And forget about Rose, Barry Bonds was arguably the greatest hitter in the history of baseball not named Ruth, and he is nowhere near enshrinement in the HOF, which contradicts your contention that drug users are treated more favorably.

The other interesting thing to note here is that even if Rose were to be reinstated tomorrow by Manfredi, he'd only be eligible for induction to the HOF via the veterans ballot, and it is unlikely he'd even garner the required percentage for HOF induction.

You can't compare Bonds and Rose. Bonds took drugs that enhanced his ability to accomplish what he did. Rose did not. I would take Rose over Bonds any day!
    I'm not excusing Bonds, even though he was a HOFer before using PEDs. My point was simply to illustrate that PED users are not getting a free pass when it comes to HOF consideration.

Incidentally, the notion that Rose didn't use drugs to enhance his performance is naive. He was a well known user of "greenies," amphetamines which enhanced focus and artificially amped up players during play.

Using Bonds as the cornerstone of an argument isn't the best choice imo. Him not making the Hall as yet doesn't really say much about the whole "no free pass for PED guys" thing... the jury's still out on the HOF and juicers have gotten plenty of passes insofar as keeping their jobs, which is what I was speaking to in my earlier comments.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Pete won't see the Hall in his lifetime if ever, but I can't bring myself to compare his situation with Bonds as if it were somehow analogous.
    I'm sure there is a "Barry got hosed" contingent out there that wants him in...the sad part is that unlike Pete, he still has a fair shot.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012