Home Sports Talk

2016 College Football

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
2015 is over- seems time to start a new thread.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    The. Ohio. State.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget the Buckeyes.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking ahead to 2016, huh.....

My Final Top 4 SEC Rankings:

1. BAMA
    2. GEORGIA
    3. OLE MISS
    4. TENNESSEE
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not impressed with the mega conferences and it has hurt College Sports-

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

That just means a big bet came in on them (or several of them). Same with Michigan. When I first looked (almost immediately after the Bama-Clemson game) Bama was +450 and Clemson was +900. They were the 2 favorites. The Buckeyes were at 12-1 and by the time I decided that I would throw a little at them it was down to +650.

I think a pretty good flier would be either USC or Georgia (both at 33-1 at last look).
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Ohio State picked to win 2016 national championship.

http://www.foxsports.com/colle...ampionship-odds-021516

Hit me

This is actually current odds from a betting site. Alabama, OSU, Michigan and Clemson all virtual co- favorites.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    The Michigan, OSU game will be a slobber-Knocker, can't wait for that one. That'll probably be the second loss for OSU.
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter
    The Michigan, OSU game will be a slobber-Knocker, can't wait for that one. That'll probably be the second loss for OSU.

lol that's what Michigan fans said last year.

Originally posted by: garnettstyle

lol that's what Michigan fans said last year.

Not any I knew and no one in the thread. It may not be this year but Michigan's is going to have their way with OSU sooner then later,

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    THE. OHIO. STATE.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Buckeyes lost a lot of talent to the NFL. Early in the year will be an upstarts chance for an upset. I expect they will be much improved by the end of the year.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Going back to the Mega Conferences for a moment, what happened in the Big Ten last season (or Big Seven, Medium Five and Small two) seems to illustrate the problem. I don't think it is too much to ask to have a conference whereby each team plays the other. And a non-conference schedule that has a conference to conference challenge along the lines of what the Big Ten -ACC BB Challenge that has existed for years, seems to make make sense if a play-off system is going to have any relevance in terms of determining a National Champion.

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Ohio State plays OU down in Norman early this season.......no gimme there.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
    Double ouch for the BIG 10.........
    Here's a look at the 10 toughest and easiest schedules for the 2016 season among Power Five conference teams, according to FPI.

Toughest 2016 schedules
    1. Southern Cal
    2. Ole Miss
    3. Florida State
    4. California
    5. Alabama
    6. LSU
    7. UCLA
    8. Syracuse
    9. Texas A&M
    10. Arkansas

Easiest 2016 schedules
    1. Minnesota
    2. Michigan
    3. Purdue
    4. Maryland
    5. Nebraska
    6. Boston College
    7. Baylor
    8. Wake Forest
    9. Indiana
    10. Iowa

Five of the ten toughest from the SEC West.
    Easiest is loaded with BIG 10 teams, 7 of 10. The only reason OSU isn't in there is because they finally play a tough opener.
    Here's a look at the 10 toughest and easiest schedules for the 2016 season among Power Five conference teams, according to FPI.

Toughest 2016 schedules
    Arkansas

Because they don't play Toledo? lol

Garnett, USC has the toughest schedule. Looking at their schedule which team pushed them to the top?

09/03/16 vs. Alabama
    09/10/16 vs. Utah State
    09/17/16 at Stanford
    09/23/16 at Utah
    10/01/16 vs. Arizona State
    10/08/16 vs. Colorado
    10/15/16 at Arizona
    10/27/16 vs. California
    11/05/16 vs. Oregon
    11/12/16 at Washington
    11/19/16 at UCLA
    11/26/16 vs. Notre Dame

Yep Garnett that Toledo game was a bad one for the SEC. Strange thing about that game, the Toledo QB was a transfer from Alabama, Philip Ely.

Roll Tide
    Ohio State draws a record 100,189 fans at spring game.

Toughest 2016 schedules
    1. Southern Cal
    2. Ole Miss
    3. Florida State
    4. California
    5. Alabama
    6. LSU
    7. UCLA
    8. Syracuse
    9. Texas A&M
    10. Arkansas

Easiest 2016 schedules
    1. Minnesota
    2. Michigan
    3. Purdue
    4. Maryland
    5. Nebraska
    6. Boston College
    7. Baylor
    8. Wake Forest
    9. Indiana
    10. Iowa

Five of the ten toughest from the SEC West.
    Easiest is loaded with BIG 10 teams, 7 of 10. The only reason OSU isn't in there is because they finally play a tough opener.

According to this article there are no SEC teams in the top 10.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Board/120/Contents/Ohio-State-with-the-6th-toughest-schedule-in-CFB-44799510

Las Vegas releases 2016 college football win totals for all 128 FBS teams

SEC

Team Win Total

Alabama 10

LSU 10

Tennessee 9.5

Georgia 8.5

Ole Miss 8.5

Arkansas 7.5

Florida 7.5

Auburn 6.5

Mississippi State 6.5

Texas A&M 6

Missouri 5.5

Kentucky 5

South Carolina

Vanderbilt 5

Big Ten

Team Win Total

Michigan 10

Ohio State 9.5

Iowa 8.5

Nebraska 8.5

Michigan State 7.5

Wisconsin 7

Northwestern 6.5

Penn State 6.5

Minnesota 6

Illinois 4.5

Indiana 4.5

Maryland 4.5

Purdue 4.5

Rutgers 4.5

ACC

Team Win Total

Clemson 10.5

Florida State 9.5

Louisville 9

North Carolina 8.5

Pittsburgh 7

Boston College 6.5

Georgia Tech 6.5

Miami 6.5

Virginia Tech 6.5

NC State 6

Duke 5.5

Wake Forest 5.5

Virginia 4.5

Syracuse 4

Big 12

Team Win Total

Oklahoma 10 Over

Baylor 9.5 Over

Oklahoma State 8.5

TCU 8

Texas Tech 7

Texas 6.5

West Virginia 6.5

Kansas State 5.5

Iowa State 3.5

Kansas 1.5

Pac-12

Team Win Total

Washington 9

Stanford 8.5

UCLA 8.5

Oregon 8

USC 7.5

Utah 7.5

Washington State 7.5

Arizona 6

Arizona State 5

Colorado 4.5

California 4

Oregon State 3.5

Notre Dame 9.5

mark

Thanks for posting those, mark.

The one that sticks out to me is Texas A&M at 6. They get three freebies in the Non-conference (Prairie View, NMST, UTSA) and S Carolina from the East. Going 3-5 the rest of way wins, 2-6 pushes. I like that one.

Kansas State and Utah look like decent overs too. I'll probably be a sucker for Minnesota again this year (I had over 6 last year). Maryland, Rutgets, Illinois and Purdue is a nice juicy middle of the season.

On the under side: I'm not sure how Colorado gets to 5. Washington at 9 seems awfully high, considering they have to win 10 to lose an under (remember reg season only, conf champ games and bowl don't count).

Baylor without Briles at 9.5? I'm surprised that is still on the board. Get the under before it gets pulled. Those 10s on Oklahoma, Michigan and LSU don't provide for much wiggle room. I could never endorse an under on Bama, even at 10.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    strength of schedule is an overrated stat that usually doesn't mean much by mid-season.
    Mark, I think those numbers are close on many of the teams. The one that really stood out to me was Michigan with 10 wins and OSU at 9.5. Is Vegas saying that OSU loses to Oklahoma and Michigan and their bowl game? That would be the 3 toughest games they play all year.

The Michigan and OSU games are going to be mighty good the next few years.

BTW......3 months, 1 day and 4 hours before we play USC.
    USC is gonna bring it, I expect a very tough game.
    Is Vegas saying that OSU loses to Oklahoma and Michigan and their bowl game? That would be the 3 toughest games they play all year.

No. These win totals are regular season only. Conference Championship games and Bowl games do NOT count.

So for example, If Ohio State loses to Michigan, Oklahoma and Wisconsin but win their bowl game to finish 10-3. You still lose the over.

Looking at OSU, that 9.5 does seem like a safe over. They need to split these games: at Oklahoma, at Wisconsin, at Michigan State and home against Michigan. And then not blow any others. That seems fairly safe to me.
    Originally posted by: PM770

Is Vegas saying that OSU loses to Oklahoma and Michigan and their bowl game? That would be the 3 toughest games they play all year.

No. These win totals are regular season only. Conference Championship games and Bowl games do NOT count.

So for example, If Ohio State loses to Michigan, Oklahoma and Wisconsin but win their bowl game to finish 10-3. You still lose the over.

Looking at OSU, that 9.5 does seem like a safe over. They need to split these games: at Oklahoma, at Wisconsin, at Michigan State and home against Michigan. And then not blow any others. That seems fairly safe to me.

The one I really like is Wisconsin under 7. I don't think they get to 7 wins

I like USC and Georgia on the over

mark
    Originally posted by: keets

strength of schedule is an overrated stat that usually doesn't mean much by mid-season.

This has zero to do with strength of schedule. Only over or under the win total.

mark

It's almost like they are begging you to take OSU and the over

mark
    Graphic: Ohio State Has More AP Poll Appearances In Last 20 Years Than Any Other Program.

http://collegespun.com/national/graphic-ohio-state-has-more-ap-poll-appearances-in-last-20-years-than-any-other-program

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the new Kirby era at UGA. We'll see how that shakes the team up, and hopefully Chubb comes back strong. Spring reports were that he is hungry to run, hard.
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

mark

I agree on both.

What do you think of Georgia as a dark horse National Championship contender? Their only difficult road game appears to be at Mississippi. They get Tennessee at home and miss Bama and LSU. I think they have a real good chance to go 11-1.

And am I being too dismissive of Florida?

It's almost like they are begging you to take OSU and the over

mark

I guess the thinking is that with all the losses to the NFL this could be a bit of a down year. I probably won't take it, because I usually like to bet on the teams I wouldn't otherwise follow, but a 9-3 or worse would be shocking to me.

I think my favorite bet is under 9 for Washington. They were 6-6 last year. They need to go 10-2 to lose that bet. Am I missing something?

mark

I agree on both.

What do you think of Georgia as a dark horse National Championship contender? Their only difficult road game appears to be at Mississippi. They get Tennessee at home and miss Bama and LSU. I think they have a real good chance to go 11-1.

I'm not Mark, but as an alumdawg I always think of Georgia as a contender. Kirby knows what it tastes like, hopefully he can project that on the team and get us one in the next few years.

Originally posted by: DrBuster

mark

I agree on both.

I'm not Mark, but as an alumdawg I always think of Georgia as a contender. Kirby knows what it tastes like, hopefully he can project that on the team and get us one in the next few years.

All thoughts are always welcome.....even from a homer image

You are right. In truth, Georgia should always be considered a contender and I think it is very realistic this year despite their long odds (I got 33-1). The schedule seems more favorable than years past.

mark

I agree on both.

I like it

mark

All thoughts are always welcome.....even from a homer image

You are right. In truth, Georgia should always be considered a contender and I think it is very realistic this year despite their long odds (I got 33-1). The schedule seems more favorable than years past.

It is a nice schedule this year and there is big energy for the season. New coach, Chubb back so the very strong backfield in play again, strong recruiting class coming in...gonna be a good season.

I didn't hit the book when I was out in Vegas during the NCAA basketball tourney (stupid work), but I would put a hundy or 2 down on 33-1 odds on UGA all day.

Come on, guys. This thread has been way too quiet considering the action is getting started this week.

I have this strange feeling that this year is going to end up a lot like 2007 - chaos. I think we are going to have no undefeated teams going into the bowls and that a couple 2 loss teams will get in out of necessity. The consensus seems to be that the PAC 12 will beat each other up due to their depth, but I think that is going to happen in the SEC and Big Ten too.

I'll start us out with Conference championship and CFP picks. I fully expect all of your mockery when this goes horribly awry:

ACC: FSU (w/2 losses) over Georgia Tech (I fully expect Clemson to pull a Clemson and flop.)
    B10: Ohio State over Nebraska
    B12: TCU (Oklahoma disappoints at 9-3)
    Pac 12: USC (w/3 losses) over Stanford
    SEC: Georgia (w/2 losses) over Alabama. (Tennessee disappoints again at 9-3)

Non-FBS:
    AA: Cincinnati over Houston
    C-USA: Marshall over S Miss
    MAC: Toledo over Bowling Green
    MWC: San Diego State over New Mexico
    Sun Belt: App State

CFP: (1) Georgia, (2) Ohio State, (3) TCU, (4) USC (3 losses including a 1-2 start but in with a strong close) (5 and out) Notre Dame (2 losses including closing with a loss to USC)
    Championship: Georgia over Ohio State.

Now lets hear some picks!
    I am inclined to just sit this season out because of the direction of the NCAA and the game. I am opposed to the Mega Conferences, the schedules and the general mis-match non conference games. This is nonsense and the NCAA needs to do more to make College Football the game worthy of its tradition.

• ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on, guys. This thread has been way too quiet considering the action is getting started this week.

I have this strange feeling that this year is going to end up a lot like 2007 - chaos. I think we are going to have no undefeated teams going into the bowls and that a couple 2 loss teams will get in out of necessity. The consensus seems to be that the PAC 12 will beat each other up due to their depth, but I think that is going to happen in the SEC and Big Ten too.

I'll start us out with Conference championship and CFP picks. I fully expect all of your mockery when this goes horribly awry:

ACC: FSU (w/2 losses) over Georgia Tech (I fully expect Clemson to pull a Clemson and flop.)
    B10: Ohio State over Nebraska
    B12: TCU (Oklahoma disappoints at 9-3)
    Pac 12: USC (w/3 losses) over Stanford
    SEC: Georgia (w/2 losses) over Alabama. (Tennessee disappoints again at 9-3)

Non-FBS:
    AA: Cincinnati over Houston
    C-USA: Marshall over S Miss
    MAC: Toledo over Bowling Green
    MWC: San Diego State over New Mexico
    Sun Belt: App State

CFP: (1) Georgia, (2) Ohio State, (3) TCU, (4) USC (3 losses including a 1-2 start but in with a strong close) (5 and out) Notre Dame (2 losses including closing with a loss to USC)
    Championship: Georgia over Ohio State.

Now lets hear some picks!

Championship: Georgia over Ohio State. <--- i love the idea, but i believe they are a year or two away from being a serious contender for a national title. <br> i="" love="" the="" _idea2c_="" but="" believe="" they="" are="" a="" year="" or="" two="" away="" from="" being="" serious="" contender="" for="" national="" title.="" />
    Ohio State.

Seriously though I am excited for another season.

As a Pac-12 fan I am hoping UCLA and U$C can pick up wins on Saturday in Texas. Both should be good games.
    I'm looking forward to LSU @ Wisconsin. People have whined for years that the SEC doesn't play Big Ten teams away. Well here you go. LSU is a 11 point favorite.

The other intriguing game for me is Indiana -10.5 @ FIU. I think FIU could win as a big dog.

Georgia -2.5 @'North Carolina

Clemson -7.5 @ Auburn

Western Michigan +5 @ Northwestern

intriguing

mark

The game is not at Madison... But at Green Bay

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another interesting game coming up , apparently Penn State has decided to honor Joe Paterno. He holds a record for remaining silent for 5 decades while little boys were molested all around him.

So that should be pretty special .
    Originally posted by: coinkat

The game is not at Madison... But at Green Bay

Yep

mark
    Tried to get the company suite tix for UGA/UNC but some marketing vp snaked em. Going next week though to the cake walk Nichols State game. Can't believe we're starting Lambert instead of Eason but we'll see how much they switch up the QB action.
    I'm looking forward to LSU @ Wisconsin. People have whined for years that the SEC doesn't play Big Ten teams away. Well here you go. LSU is a 11 point favorite.

The other intriguing game for me is Indiana -10.5 @ FIU. I think FIU could win as a big dog.

Clemson -7.5 @ Auburn
    intriguing

mark

I love UGA tomorrow, but I'm on the opposite of you in the other two. Right now I have NW (-5) and Auburn (+8) on a 3-teamer with under 40 on last nights Vandy-SC game. Also had under 56 on Minny-Or St last night.

So I'm 2 for 2 to start!

Clemson -7.5 @ Auburn

intriguing

mark

I love UGA tomorrow, but I'm on the opposite of you in the other two. Right now I have NW (-5) and Auburn (+8) on a 3-teamer with under 40 on last nights Vandy-SC game. Also had under 56 on Minny-Or St last night.

So I'm 2 for 2 to start!

I didnt play anything yet : )

mark

Wow Houston smashes Oklahoma and my school, South Alabama beat Miss State.

And it's still early in the day.

LSU, Wisconsin coming on now.........ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love it.

Wow Houston smashes Oklahoma and my school, South Alabama beat Miss State.

And it's still early in the day.

LSU, Wisconsin coming on now.........ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love it.

Good for your alma mater!

Western Michigan 22 Northwestern 21. I loved that game all week.

I'm in Milan so I regret not being able to watch Wisc-LSU and Alabama and USC

Have fun

M