Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favre, Harrison, Owens, Pace, Green
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: perkdog

I really hope Owens doesn't get elected. Maybe in a few years, but first year?.....definitely NOT!

He was a good receiver, and he has the career numbers, but his attitude and prima-donna-ness greatly overshadowed his actual play. In my opinion, he was the ultimate "me-first" player in all of sports.

Steve

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pace, Favre, T.O. (HOF not Hall of nice folks), Lynch, Jacoby, Harrison, Stabler. My first three should be no-brainers.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pace and Favre

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Strange how T.O. seems worthy, but T.D. wasn't around long enough to be discussed in the same tone. If only.

One fan vote for Snake. I could spend an entire day watching him run laterally on his way to a 1 yard gain.
    Yea it's all about numbers I couldn't care less about his attitude, fact is I don't know any of these guys on a personal leve so I treat them all according to stats
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SDSportsFan

I really hope Owens doesn't get elected. Maybe in a few years, but first year?.....definitely NOT!

He was a good receiver, and he has the career numbers, but his attitude and prima-donna-ness greatly overshadowed his actual play. In my opinion, he was the ultimate "me-first" player in all of sports.

Steve

Out of that list, you single out Owens to pick on. Meanwhile, Favre sexually harassed a team employee and Harrison was identified by the victim as a murderer.

But Owens - who was better at his job than either of those two - is a problem child.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would have put "Snake" in before he died.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter

I wish they would have put "Snake" in before he died.

Not as much as he did

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tabe

Originally posted by: SDSportsFan

Steve

Out of that list, you single out Owens to pick on. Meanwhile, Favre sexually harassed a team employee and Harrison was identified by the victim as a murderer.

But Owens - who was better at his job than either of those two - is a problem child.

I understand where you're coming from. I simply try to keep it "on the field" and related to the game.

Terrell Owens, at least in my view, although he was a good-great player, was too often a detriment to his team. He cost his team wins due to his me-first attitude and sulking.

Favre and Harrison may have had off-the-field issues, and Harrison may have been accused of murder (I don't know the facts, nor have I even heard of this story before), but as far as I know, they never did anything to damage their team. The thing is (to me anyway), is that if you start keeping people out of the Hall of Fame due to off-the-field issues, or civilian law issues, where do you draw the line? Is Ray Lewis going to be kept out of the HOF due to his well-publicized involvement with a murder in Atlanta prior to the Super Bowl? Is OJ Simpson going to be removed from the HOF? Is Lawrence Taylor going to be removed due to his alleged use of under-aged prostitutes.

According to the Pro FB HOF selection rules, voters are not supposed to consider anything but a candidate’s contributions to the game. They cannot consider anything that happened off the field (I really wish Major League Baseball did this also; I'm sick and tired of the voters' sanctimonious and holier-than-thou attitudes). That is where I draw the line. Did it happen on the field and did it relate directly to the game. With Terrell Owens, it did. Now, down the road, I'm sure he will be inducted. I just did not want to see him get inducted this year, in his first year of eligibility. I know it doesn't really make complete sense, and I've never felt this way about any other player. I have always felt that if you belong in the HOF, it doesn't matter if you get in the first year or not. Maybe I'm changing as I grow old. Maybe I'm biased against Owens in that I've never liked him (and I'm a Cowboy fan). I just remember too many times where his shenanigans hurt the team. Don't even get me started on that assinine "news conference" or whatever it was where he invited the media to film him working out in his yard. He just acted like he was above the game, which no one is.

Anyway, that's how I feel about that.

Now, on a more important note, I'm very happy that Dungy, Favre, Green, Harrison, Pace, Stabler, Stanfel and DeBartolo all got elected, although I am again confused and upset about Don Coryell again being passed over.

Steve
  • That is just incorrect. TO was an absolute gamer on the field. Played at 110%. Played with a broken leg in the Super Bowl and nearly willed that team to victory. 9 receptions 122 yards. One of the toughest receivers to ever play the game and always willing to take the hit to get extra yards. In simple terms TO was one of the most dominate players to ever play the game.

Should of been a first ballet HoF.

2nd best wide receiver ever to play the game.

• ...on to Kenny Stabler.

Absolute character of the game. Fun player to watch and played for one of the most dominate teams in the history of pro football however...

He simply does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame over many other much more deserving people not in. He was surrounded by a Hall of Fame offense (Casper, Branch, Blitnekoff, Shell, Upshaw as well as a year in year out top 5 rushing offense) not to mention one of the greatest defenses yet only managed 3 season of QB that would qualify as all pro quality.

I'd argue these guys should be ahead of Stabler

1. Randall Cunningham
    2. Ken Anderson
    3. Roman Gabriel
    4. Earl Morrall

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the Pro FB HOF selection rules, voters are not supposed to consider anything but a candidate’s contributions to the game. They cannot consider anything that happened off the field (I really wish Major League Baseball did this also; I'm sick and tired of the voters' sanctimonious and holier-than-thou attitudes).

OK, you got me curious. Who has MLB kept out of the HOF for something that happened "off the field"? The only people I can think of who have been barred from the HOF - whether officially or unofficially - either cheated on the field or bet on games that were happening on the field. If anyone has been banned for alleged crimes or bad behavior unrelated to the game I can't think of who it is. But if you're sick and tired of it, there must be quite a few.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd argue these guys should be ahead of Stabler

1. Randall Cunningham
    2. Ken Anderson
    3. Roman Gabriel
    4. Earl Morrall

Ken Anderson was one of the best quarterbacks that I've ever seen. The only reason he's not in the HOF is that he played for a bad team. Sort of the Bert Blyleven of the NFL, but Bert eventually overcame ignorant voters and I don't think Anderson ever will.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.