Home Sports Talk

So how will the Denver Broncos fair this season?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have held off on starting a thread on the 2015 edition of my favorite team.

But after beating and improved Raider squad in Oakland yesterday to start the season 5-0 I figured why not.

My current thoughts:

1. The Denver defense is carrying the team and it is very, very good;

2. The Denver offense is lacking an adequate running game;

3. The Denver offensive line is a work in progress;

4. Manning is one year older and his ability to deliver passes with accuracy and strength is declining (but he still can make plays). He can not carry the team on his back and must get help from other players on offense.

I can see Denver winning the AFC West again this year or alternatively grabbing a wild card spot. Thus another season in the playoffs is likely. Will be interesting to see how the team does against the best teams in the AFC later this year. I think that Denver plays New England at home this year. Should be interesting to watch.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manning looks very old out there and is being carried by this team. I'd be stunned if he doesn't retire after this season.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a word...poorly.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Manning looks very old out there and is being carried by this team. I'd be stunned if he doesn't retire after this season. >>

My thoughts exactly. I'm a Manning fan and I hate seeing him struggle. I'm not sure if this is by design or if he has fallen that quick, but the offense is very dull. Curious to see how they fare against Green Bay in a couple of weeks.

...but you can't complain too much at 5-0. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    They will do just fine as long as #69 stays healthy image

Hopefully they lose on November 29thimage
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice game by Denver last night. The defense was superb. Manning played well. The running game also produced.

Keep up playing the way the team played last night and Denver might make some noise this year.

Looking forward to Denver's games against the Colts, Patriots, Bengals and an up and coming Raiders team.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Now they're back to being Super Bowl bound...what a wagon ride
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • News alert. Peyton on the injury report.
    Originally posted by: thebaseballcardkid

News alert. Peyton on the injury report.

Upgraded to probable after practicing in full yesterday. Zero chance he misses the game.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Maybe it would have been better if he had missed the game. Geez, Manning looks awful.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Losing that 1st game probably is a good thing with all the attention paid to the undefeated teams.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chiefs just destroyed Manning and the Broncos. I think Manning threw for about 35 yards, 4 picks. Nice! Maybe Elway could do better? Anyway, the Broncos will be lucky to win any more games this year.

Great to see the old man hanging on just to break Favre's record.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    Does Kubiak have the stones to bench the living legend Manning?

The Broncos keep winning..

Good Game fellas
    Denver can secure home filed advantage in the AFC playoffs if it wins out the remaining 4 games against Oakland, Pittsburg, Cinci and the Chargers.

Do not know if this is possible and do not know if Manning or his backup will guide the team into the playoffs.

It would not surprise me to see Manning take a second seat to Brock O if Manning is unable to effectively run the Kubiak offensive scheme. If that is the case what would likely happen is that the team will announce that Manning is going on injured reserve for the rest of the season.
    On 10-13-2015 MCMLV Topps replied to my Thread Title Question by stating that the Broncos would fair "poorly" this season.

Now that the regular season is over I guess he was wrong. AFC West Champion (again) and the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs is a pretty good season for my favorite football team.

Now if you toss in the playoffs, then whether the Broncos do well or do "poorly" is currently unknown. I have doubts about Denver's ability to win another superbowl (2-5 so far with the 2014 Superbowl defeat to the Seahawks ranking up there with the 1990 55-10 loss to the 49rs). Playing at home in the playoffs is great, but I also have doubts about Denver playing the Steelers and Chiefs and Patriots. Hopefully the Broncos will surprise me and get back to the title game and play for another trophy.
  • I predict that Big Ben will throw at least 3 INTs with at least 1 returned for a TD. Peyton will complete about 50% of his passes but will hand the ball off enough that no one really notices and will once again be hailed a hero for doing absolutely nothing.
    Pittsburg loses. Denver wins to advance to the AFC title game against New England in Denver.

One step closer are the Broncos to having a season where they do not perform "poorly".

Interesting that in both the AFC and the NFC the #1 and #2 seeds are playing for the conference titles and a trip to Super Bowl XXXXX (or is it Super Bowl XXXXXC, or is it Super Bowl 50 ???).

Manning was more of a game manager yesterday than the hero. Denver's defense was effective, keeping Pittsburg's point production low. Denver's offense was good enough to score 5 field goals and to muster a 4th quarter drive that allowed Denver's running game to eat up the clock and score a touchdown.

Will be interesting to see how New England does playing in Denver next weekend. Brady is 2-6 playing in Denver.

If Denver does make it back to the Super Bowl it would likely be an underdog against either Arizona or Carolina (simply because Denver has such a bad track record [2-5] in the big game).

Go Broncos.
    Manning looks washed up out there. He's along for the ride but that effort will not get it done vs NE next week. Frankly, it wouldn't have gotten it done vs Pittsburgh had Antonio Brown and/or Williams been playing, either. That said, I'd like to see Manning get to the big stage once more with a shot at riding off into the sunset.

• Last I checked, it is a team game. The Denver team won the game. Not Peyton Manning. He did a commendable job, as he is paid to do. Of course, he's no gunslinger out there anymore, plus he was battling the wind and his own Butterfinger'd receivers. When it has been all about him in the past, he's won a Super Bowl, but lost several other significant games. Could be his last chance to get as far as the league's title game. How rewarding that would be for him to finish it off with a trophy.
    The Patriots v. Broncos games have been pretty competitive. Denver leads the series 26-20.

Since Manning signed with Denver for the 2012 season the teams have played 5 times. 3 times in New England and 2 times in Denver.

For the 3 games in New England the Patriots won 31-21 (on 10-7-2012), 34-31 (on 11-24-2013) and 43-21 (on 11-2-2014).

For the 2 games in Denver the Broncos won 26-16 (on 1-19-2014) and 30-24 (on 11-29-2015).

Next Sunday's game should be very entertaining. Two future HOF quarterback. Two franchises that have had a long run of success (except Denver in the Super Bowl). The defending Champs and a trip to the SB on the line. What is not too like, especially since the game is being played in Denver.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SanctionII
    The Patriots v. Broncos games have been pretty competitive. Denver leads the series 26-20.

Since Manning signed with Denver for the 2012 season the teams have played 5 times. 3 times in New England and 2 times in Denver.

For the 3 games in New England the Patriots won 31-21 (on 10-7-2012), 34-31 (on 11-24-2013) and 43-21 (on 11-2-2014).

For the 2 games in Denver the Broncos won 26-16 (on 1-19-2014) and 30-24 (on 11-29-2015).

Next Sunday's game should be very entertaining. Two future HOF quarterback. Two franchises that have had a long run of success (except Denver in the Super Bowl). The defending Champs and a trip to the SB on the line. What is not too like, especially since the game is being played in Denver.

Since 2000 most super bowls have had a Brady or a manning in them. Some have even had both image
    Saw an amazing stat earlier today~Tom Brady has more TD passes at Sports Authority Field in Denver this season (3) than Manning does (1).

It's been a nice ride for Denver, but I can't see them beating NE, even with home field.

Originally posted by: UncleTwoPillow

Last I checked, it is a team game. The Denver team won the game. Not Peyton Manning. He did a commendable job, as he is paid to do. Of course, he's no gunslinger out there anymore, plus he was battling the wind and his own Butterfinger'd receivers. When it has been all about him in the past, he's won a Super Bowl, but lost several other significant games. Could be his last chance to get as far as the league's title game. How rewarding that would be for him to finish it off with a trophy.

Of course it's a team game, Stew, no one is claiming otherwise. That said, the performance of the starting QB in an NFL game has a pretty significant effect on the outcome, too.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Denver makes it to the big game and it is PM last game I hope he does not embarrass himself/or the team with an ineffective performance and go out that way. And if by chance he is ineffective in the SB and replaced by BO at QB how does everyone here feel he (BO) would handle the pressure of a SB?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Originally posted by: grote15

Last I checked, it is a team game. The Denver team won the game. Not Peyton Manning. He did a commendable job, as he is paid to do. Of course, he's no gunslinger out there anymore, plus he was battling the wind and his own Butterfinger'd receivers. When it has been all about him in the past, he's won a Super Bowl, but lost several other significant games. Could be his last chance to get as far as the league's title game. How rewarding that would be for him to finish it off with a trophy.

Of course it's a team game, Stew, no one is claiming otherwise. That said, the performance of the starting QB in an NFL game has a pretty significant effect on the outcome, too.

You have suggested that Manning looks washed up. I contend that his team has become more important than him and that's a good thing. In the past, the press built up the Manning-is-G*D concept while he was at his very best. His Indianapolis teams featured good athletic talent at many positions, but it was always about him. The farce vs. Seattle 2 years ago was again built on his incredible regular season accomplishments, then he fell flat in February.

I believe this is a different guy playing QB for Denver now. Not a fling it downfield and score in 90 seconds offense anymore. He's a grinder today. He has the safest fallback position in his backup, Osweiler.

I like this Denver team. It feels like they are this year's best story. I hope they take it home. I can't stand Carolina celebrating everything from a touchdown to successfully filling a Gatorade cup. Arizona might have a shot if the Panthers play their usual game, but the Cardinals' best player isn't a QB, right? And New England, well, if they are the Super Bowl entry again this year, then I won't be adding orange food coloring to my chowder.
    I don't think the observation that Manning is not playing at the level he is accustomed to is any kind of revelation to anyone who has watched him play over the years. At times, he's been painful to watch, actually. But Denver has a solid defense and good talent on offense, as well as a solid placekicker to have gotten the team this far. Beating NE, however, even at home, is another story. It will be a great game to watch. It also may very well be Manning's last. Again, no surprise there, either.

• I agree that this game is worth getting excited about. In a time of energy fueled smash mouth chest beating demonstration, somehow the AFC managed to give us this gift. I hope the air doesn't get let out of it.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New England will be going to the Super Bowl
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the air doesn't get let out of it.

Congrats to the Broncos and although I would like to see Arizona win if they can get to the super bowl it would be pretty cool if Manning could get another ring before he retires
    A very exciting game today between Denver and NE.

The Denver defense won the game. The pressure put on Brady and the shout down of the NE running game prevented NE from getting going offensively. If Denver had not truned the ball over on the contested first half play thats was ruled a lateral NE would not have its first half touchdown and the game would have been over long before the late 4th quarter touchdown made it 20-18.

Manning played a good game, managing things and sustaining Denver's lead. Denver's receivers dropped some balls that should have been caught. Denver's running game was so so.

I expect that Denver will be a big underdog to Carolina (who put a beat down on Arizona). I really hope that the Super Bowl is competitive and not another blow out loss by Denver. I would like a repeat of the 1998 Superbowl where Greenbay was heaviliy favored and Denver surprised everyone with a 31-24 win.

Congrats to the Patriots for a great year and a tough AFC title game. Good luck in 2016
    Congrats to Manning & the Broncos! I am a Jets fan so it was good to see Brady get harassed and beat up all day, lol..

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SanctionII

A very exciting game today between Denver and NE.

The Denver defense won the game. The pressure put on Brady and the shout down of the NE running game prevented NE from getting going offensively. If Denver had not truned the ball over on the contested first half play thats was ruled a lateral NE would not have its first half touchdown and the game would have been over long before the late 4th quarter touchdown made it 20-18.

Manning played a good game, managing things and sustaining Denver's lead. Denver's receivers dropped some balls that should have been caught. Denver's running game was so so.

I expect that Denver will be a big underdog to Carolina (who put a beat down on Arizona). I really hope that the Super Bowl is competitive and not another blow out loss by Denver. I would like a repeat of the 1998 Superbowl where Greenbay was heaviliy favored and Denver surprised everyone with a 31-24 win.

Congrats to the Patriots for a great year and a tough AFC title game. Good luck in 2016

Pat's fan here licking my wounds. Congrat's. Great D

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Manning needs to manage. Its a tough order but Im rooting for him. Am I seeing another Manning pick six?
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see if Denvers pass rush can get to Newton.

I am happy to see a team with a good defense getting to the SB!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Originally posted by: JoeBanzai
    Will be interesting to see if Denvers pass rush can get to Newton.

I am happy to see a team with a good defense getting to the SB!

Will you be calling for an asterisk IF Manning wins and it's found out he cheated with HGH?
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the media/public wants to see Denver (Manning) win for the storybook ending to his career. Makes good copy (feel good story). If by chance Denver comes up short we'll see how they label Manning. Hope they don't label him a choker in the big games which some media outlets have done in the past.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    Can't help the feeling that Manning is going to throw a pick 6......

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO Peyton, so far everything is going as planned image
    GrandAm :)
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were Kubiak, I'd pull Talib from the game now, before he costs the Broncos the game.

He's already been called for two absolute horse$h!t plays!

Steve
    Originally posted by: SDSportsFan

If I were Kubiak, I'd pull Talib from the game now, before he costs the Broncos the game.

He's already been called for two absolute horse$h!t plays!

Steve

He's making Suh look like a piker

mark
    Man Denver's D is scary good

mark
  • Yup. Punishing.
    Man, Beyonce has bigger thighs then any player in the game

mark
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That taunting penalty cost Denver big time. Field position and probably pts. What is with these players? Get it under control. Just like the Bengals - Steelers game. There are Refs on the field and they will throw that yellow flag.

Should also add that Denver did not put Carolina away when they had the chance. You can't keep Newton down the whole game.
    Originally posted by: pocketpiececommems
    That taunting penalty cost Denver big time. Field position and probably pts. What is with these players? Get it under control. Just like the Bengals - Steelers game. There are Refs on the field and they will throw that yellow flag.

Should also add that Denver did not put Carolina away when they had the chance. You can't keep Newton down the whole game.

I guess you can keep him down

He's piling up the bruises , they are giving him the Tom Brady treatment
    Congrat's Denver on a great beat down win!

mark